Van ordered, what else do I need for a possible trip to Spain in 6 weeks? (cross fingers)

elTorerro

So I've placed an order for my new van - total noob, although I know my way around the woods if you know what I mean.

I don't want to get into what I'm getting but I am looking forward to my 6.1 from direct campers ;)

What other kit should I now be looking at, I've got 6 weeks to get my act together because on the day it's delivered I start a two week holiday from work, so I'd like to get my ducks in a row and ready to pack the van!

Does anyone have any good links to kit lists or YouTube reviews for first set up? I've been browsing but not finding much. Also, if I get to go to Spain, is there special adapters etc I need. I'm planning on taking bikes and I read a story on this forum about a warning square, do I need this?

Any advice you have gratefully received from the best kettle for the gas stove to what plates and cups, to adapters and general advice about apps or clubs to join!

Absolutely buzzing and cant wait to take delivery!

Fam of 4

you will need this,

Download these - Park4Night and Searchforsites
You will need spare Adblue
PCR tests before and after trip.

Best Kettle - Trekking & Hiking Camping Stove JETBOIL Zip

Are you taking the ferry to spain or going via eurotunnel?

What security do you have on the van?

I recommend - Ghost Immobiliser
and

Do you have solar?

Spain is going to be hot so would recommend wind deflectors - HEKO T5/T5.1/T6/T6.1 "Dark" Wind Deflectors - Vee Dub Transporters

mosquito spray / nets / light - i have this - Lumi-Mosi awning tent and camping LEd light and mosi killer by Outdoor Revolution: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

games for kids

Light Awning - Outwell Touring Shelter | Outwell Driveaway Awnings | Leisureshopdirect

Table and chairs - Coleman Pack Away Table For 4 With 2 Green Bench Seats

rear seat sleeping arrangements - would not be without these,

the rest depends on the van and what you have and do not have included.

I will update as i remember anything else.

Last edited:
I see your from Scotland so UV protection, sun burn really screws up a holiday.
Plenty of water capacity, there are not so many aires and campsites in certain parts of Spain as there are in France.
Make sure the cab air con and engine cooling are 100%, central Spain gets unbearably hot.

You guys are awesome!

In terms of security, just as it comes just now but I've been reading tracker posts here. Thinking it would be sensible to get a tracker, and I can ask the conversion company to bury it for me. I've seen all sorts of other things, do you advise getting a wheel lock or anything else for security?

No solar, the sales guy advised against it at this stage as we can last 3 days on leisure apparently?

I was thinking about solar reflection, defo need help here. I think its going to be a challenge to keep cool...thinking north of pain is the best idea to start with. We have travelled all over Spain previously so know it very well.

I love the Scotland comment, too right! I'm a sun worshipper but my fam need the factor 10,000 :D good ideas.

Thanks so much for those tips s far, love to hear more. I like the idea of growing into it, but under no illusions that I'll need plates and cups and coffee making facilities, and maybe some sort of power adapters etc.

Hope the borders are open in 6 weeks.

Researching the trip over, I'm thinking eurotunnel and cane the life out of my clubcard points to get it for 1/3 of the price.

You guys are awesome!

In terms of security, just as it comes just now but I've been reading tracker posts here. Thinking it would be sensible to get a tracker, and I can ask the conversion company to bury it for me. I've seen all sorts of other things, do you advise getting a wheel lock or anything else for security?

No solar, the sales guy advised against it at this stage as we can last 3 days on leisure apparently?

I was thinking about solar reflection, defo need help here. I think its going to be a challenge to keep cool...thinking north of pain is the best idea to start with. We have travelled all over Spain previously so know it very well.

I love the Scotland comment, too right! I'm a sun worshipper but my fam need the factor 10,000 :D good ideas.

Thanks so much for those tips s far, love to hear more. I like the idea of growing into it, but under no illusions that I'll need plates and cups and coffee making facilities, and maybe some sort of power adapters etc.

Researching the trip over, I'm thinking eurotunnel and cane the life out of my clubcard points to get it for 1/3 of the price.

Unless you’re solely on sites with EHU, I would reconsider not getting solar. No chance your battery is going to last three days with a fridge in the Spanish summer.

And on a tracker, may be worth a few calls to insurance companies. You mentioned it’s new, so value of a new van with new conversion isn’t going to be cheap, so many insurers will insist on a thatcham standard tracker

And on a tracker, may be worth a few calls to insurance companies. You mentioned it’s new, so value of a new van with new conversion isn’t going to be cheap, so many insurers will insist on a thatcham standard tracker
Thanks mate, I was worried about that, its over 50k, which is more than my first house, scary. Beans on toast for 10 years!

You guys are awesome!

Not having the solar fitted with the leisure power system is a mistake IMO. If you want to go off-grid i would say you need 200ah lithium batteries with at least a 250w solar. also make sure you have a good triple charger so you can charge off the solar, EHU and Engine.

I have added to the security bit in my first post.

Check out the build threads on the forum as well.

Thanks mate, I was worried about that, its over 50k, which is more than my first house, scary. Beans on toast for 10 years!
Well beans are popular in Spain so buy plenty!
Seriously away from tourist areas we were eating a 3 course fixed menu with a bottle of wine to share, water and coffee for 13 Euros / person. We get screwed over in restaurants in the UK

Not having the solar fitted with the leisure power system is a mistake IMO. If you want to go off-grid i would say you need 200ah lithium batteries with at least a 250w solar. also make sure you have a good triple charger so you can charge off the solar, EHU and Engine.

You do arguably need solar for off-grid but you don’t ‘need’ 200ah of lithium unless you have very specific requirements. I’m still on our factory fitted 75ah AGM and haven’t touched a hookup cable in years.

thanks this is all new to me so research hat on! I love the ghost idea, that's cool!

You certainly don’t want Lithium in a very hot van which is the reality of a Spanish summer.

Well beans are popular in Spain so buy plenty!
Seriously away from tourist areas we were eating a 3 course fixed menu with a bottle of wine to share, water and coffee for 13 Euros / person. We get screwed over in restaurants in the UK
I love a menu del dia! Especially for lunch followed by a wee siesta!

You do arguably need solar for off-grid but you don’t ‘need’ 200ah of lithium unless you have very specific requirements. I’m still on our factory fitted 75ah AGM and haven’t touched a hookup cable in years.
Horses for courses, I run a microwave and coffee machine in mine as well as charge gadgets and the like. And with kids there will be plenty to charge. If your staying static for a few days the power soon goes…

Watch a few of the vanlifers vlogs on YouTube as well. A lot have videos of travelling in Spain/Europe.
see Greg Virgo and gadgetjohn/John and Mandy on tour as a couple of examples…

Back