Urgent - Help needed to register T6.1 Kombi in Germany. Updating T6.1 LED Lights to Right Hand Drive (European) Setting

paulo_1979

I have been informed that the LED front lights can be changed to alter their beam pattern for driving right hand drive in Europe. On the T6 it was set on a menu using 'travel mode'. Yet on the T6.1 it requires a visit to the workshop. My dealership should have done this for me and assured me it was a quick job with the VW laptop and OBD connected.

I've taken it to a VW workshop in Munich and they have not got a clue. Can any techies out there confirm it can be done - and if so how please?

Thanks in advance

Sorry, I can’t help with your problem, but I am jealous of you moving the Munich. I lived there for 17 years, and wish I had never left!
As for the adjustment on the T6: I believe it does not change the angle of the dip beam cut off, but rather just lowers it a few degrees, such that it does not dazzle oncoming drivers. I have checked this myself, and that does appear to be the case. Maybe the adjustment on the T6.1 is an actual cut-off re-direction and hence more complex?

The travel mode is not designed for long term use. There are LHD versions of the lights.
There was also a section in the manual that said the beams were neutral, so it may simply be adjusting of the level screw on each lamp.

The travel mode is not designed for long term use. There are LHD versions of the lights.
There was also a section in the manual that said the beams were neutral, so it may simply be adjusting of the level screw on each lamp.

The dealer I got the van said they would change the configuration via the ODIS software. The van needs to pass a German TuV (MoT equivalent) and the TuV tester showed me the beam pattern. It most certainly is not neutral if you looked at his test equipment and he said it is definitely a failure

I spoke to said UK dealer who sent me a really comprehensive guide on how to do the ODIS update. The German VW dealer tried in their workshop and got an error message. On top of that, VW answered the VW (Germany) technical query they raised and stated the current set-up should pass a TuV. They said there is no need to change lights. In reality, it does not. So I'm a bit stuck at the minute.

Unless the T6.1 has changed from what went before, travel mode gives a flat dipped beam, without the 'kick up' that lights the verge in the UK, but dazzles oncoming traffic when driving on the right. Left hand drive versions will have the 'kick up' on the UKs offside.

Discussed in the past, but the euro T6 has no tick up both were flat.

The dealer I got the van said they would change the configuration via the ODIS software. The van needs to pass a German TuV (MoT equivalent) and the TuV tester showed me the beam pattern. It most certainly is not neutral if you looked at his test equipment and he said it is definitely a failure

I spoke to said UK dealer who sent me a really comprehensive guide on how to do the ODIS update. The German VW dealer tried in their workshop and got an error message. On top of that, VW answered the VW (Germany) technical query they raised and stated the current set-up should pass a TuV. They said there is no need to change lights. In reality, it does not. So I'm a bit stuck at the minute.
What seems odd is that, if you own a T6.1 UK model and you want to drive abroad, you have to visit the dealer to have it altered? I don't buy that, to be honest.

What seems odd is that, if you own a T6.1 UK model and you want to drive abroad, you have to visit the dealer to have it altered? I don't buy that, to be honest.
It sounds like he wants to get it registered in Germany, for which it will need to meet German domestic regulations. Probably the best way to achieve that is a TÜV certificate. Believe me when I say that this can be much more rigorous than a British MOT. It took me nearly a year to get my grey import Honda motorbike registered in Germany in 1995, and I doubt it has got any easier. Thankfully, the lights on that were flat!

Yes, I meant European (LHD) vans
Ah, OK, I’ll bow to your knowledge on that as I have no idea about LHD vans. In which case, it sounds like the VW tech that answered the query didn’t know that RHD (UK) vans do have a kick in the dipped beam pattern. We are, after all, a relatively small market in the grand scheme of VW van sales.

It sounds like he wants to get it registered in Germany, for which it will need to meet German domestic regulations. Probably the best way to achieve that is a TÜV certificate. Believe me when I say that this can be much more rigorous than a British MOT. It took me nearly a year to get my grey import Honda motorbike registered in Germany in 1995, and I doubt it has got any easier. Thankfully, the lights on that were flat!
Yes I get that, I was referring to the point the OP mentioned earler that the the selling dealer said they wound do it with Odis as there is no longer an mfd option to set driving on the right! So how do uk drivers drive on the continent now, without having to visit a dealer?

In this day and age, you would think that the vans GPS would tell the van to do it itself.

Maybe it does?

In this day and age, you would think that the vans GPS would tell the van to do it itself.

Maybe it does?
You’d think so wouldn’t you. But if it did, the OP wouldn’t have failed the TUV.

Spot on. I'm UK Military so need a light check pass to the same standard as TuV to register it here on a UK military system. I think it is bizarre that there is no option to select something on the on-board system. After all, this is a commercial vehicle and by the nature of the beast, highly likely to travel all over the continent. The VW Master Technician here in Munich said VW's response was that the LED lights do have a sophisticated beam pattern that eradicates the blinding kick up. But if that is the case, the MoT test equivalent need to be told. I saw the beam pattern on the test kit and it definitely kicks up and left on my UK van. Hence the fail.

I have screen shots and a pretty simple procedure that my UK dealer has provided to engage travel mode. The German dealer says when they try, an error code was generated.

I have just got off the phone to VW Uk and they say, if an error code was generated there must be a fault with the lights themselves. This is becoming incredibly tedious now!

You cannot reverse the kick, you need to either buy LHD lights or open the LED modules and replace the projector inners (which you cant buy separately) i know someone who swaps the T6 LED inners, i assume they would be different to yours but i suppose its possible the LED module is the same just fitted into a different headlight ?

Back