Unfriendly Transporter Drivers

They weren't all painted pink by any chance ;)

I've had defenders too and didn't get many, I had more waves when I had my Splitscreen.

Reactions: .50
This wave things a myth right !!!!.

I bought my first T4 800 Special in 1998, followed by another 2 and then a T5, and now a T6. All of theses vans have, at the very least had alloy wheels on and have all always immaculately presented.
Yet despite my efforts, I have yet to have a wave returned, EVER by a fellow Transporter driver. Thats nearly 20 years.

I have also owned and driven Landrovers since 1987, and again, have NEVER had a a wave from another Defender/Discovery driver.

Even this week, a blinged up, big rimmed, side barred and rear spoilered T6 came past me on a slow moving dual carridgeway. I looked straight at the driver and waved but he looked straight through me a burnt off.

I'm not feeling the collective love.
.50, I'm surprised to hear that....really surprised!

@.50 it’s got to be you. Exactly how are you waving????? I get a very low wave return rate, but then I wave at everyone, but every now and then you do get one returned, and it makes all of the burners worth while.
Have to admit, when I used to have a two wheeled crotch rocket, every single rider you passed gave the nod, without exception - different world.

Just do it....... wave and at least you know that you will get a response!
It may be positive or negative .....but ....it will make them think about it.

@.50 it’s got to be you. Exactly how are you waving????? I get a very low wave return rate, but then I wave at everyone, but every now and then you do get one returned, and it makes all of the burners worth while.
Have to admit, when I used to have a two wheeled crotch rocket, every single rider you passed gave the nod, without exception - different world.
I was thinking that DB.....just didn't want to say it! I dunno, maybe .50 is rockin' the Jimmy Saville look or sum fink!:thumbsup:

Straight up guys, not a single return wave.
Check this out.
I pulled onto a local screwfix a few months ago, and parked outside was a lush, white T5 Sportline.
There was only one other guy in the store, so as we both waited for our orders, I asked him if that was his Transporter outside. He said it was and we stood and had great VW van chat till our stuff was ready.

About a month later, around the same area, I saw his lovely van coming the other way. Not only did I wave, but I flashed aswell, and guess what, NO WAVE !!. Guy was even wearing the same cap and glasses.

Some people are not interested in the Cult side of VW owned VW's for years, wife has a Beetle sport we get waves for others, Just got my T6 Kombi and waved to a fellow owner he looked me over see what my van was like but did not return the wave. Will still keep waving lol

I’m not interested in the whole scene thing; in fact I actively avoid it; but I get and give a fair few waves in the Cali and got plenty in our Old Defender 110 too.

Just enthusiasts with something slightly different acknowledging each other.

I'm not a consistent waver, but even if I wave at a van that I think is is sure bet for a wave back, ( lowered, alloys etc ), I still get burned.
We're camping in Dorset next year, and I'm gonna drive down Sandbanks in Poole and wave at every mofo !!.

I'm not a consistent waver, but even if I wave at a van that I think is is sure bet for a wave back, ( lowered, alloys etc ), I still get burned.
We're camping in Dorset next year, and I'm gonna drive down Sandbanks in Poole and wave at every mofo !!.

Can anyone lend me a surfboard for the roofrack and a pair of Oakleys !!.

At least when I'm occasionally on the road on my MTB, I get a nod from the roadie crowd. ( partly because I shout hello at them so the can't ignore me ).

I'm more of a roadie, so get a bit confused when the roadies don't nod back when I'm out on my MTB...however I'm easily confused!

Is there a MTB nodding etiquette, most are sturn faced here in the Chilterns when they get a nod or the obligatory 'Morning' from me - although it might often be afternoon :cool:

Some people are not interested in the Cult side of VW owned VW's for years, wife has a Beetle sport we get waves for others, Just got my T6 Kombi and waved to a fellow owner he looked me over see what my van was like but did not return the wave. Will still keep waving lol
I'm not remotely interested in the cult side of VW and absolutely no desire to drive any other VW vehicles other than Transporters, but I do wave at T4s 5s and 6s that look like they're owned by the type of people on here and many wave back. I do find I get better response if I'm in a touristy area than just out and about though. If you do the numbers though, those of us on forums like this are a tiny percentage of the Transporters that have been sold, to the majority of drivers/owners it's just a van.

I'm more of a roadie, so get a bit confused when the roadies don't nod back when I'm out on my MTB...however I'm easily confused!

Is there a MTB nodding etiquette, most are sturn faced here in the Chilterns when they get a nod or the obligatory 'Morning' from me - although it might often be afternoon :cool:

I'm just a friendly chap that tries to treat everyone the way I'd like to be treated.
There's a pathetic snobbery within the cycling world.
Not just roadies vs mountain bikers, but also within mountain bikng.
Downhillers think they are the real deal cause they shred down the hill, and take the mic out of cross country riders cause they cant to gap jumps, and endro riders are superior to all cause they they pedal up aswell as shred it down. And lets not even get into the wheel size debate and fat bikes and ebikes ).

may be naive q. but : does one greet only T6s' or all VW vans? I waved t6 with led lights but she (woman driver) didn't respond :(

Back