Unfriendly Transporter Drivers

mopardave

150 Kombi Manual
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I know we've talked about this before so it's a bit tired....but the friendly waves I got (all the time) in my T5 seem to have all but dried up. The "worst offenders" appear to be T5, Caravelle and California pilots. Now before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm not suggesting ALL T5, Caravelle and California drivers are the same. I suspect the Caravelle and California drivers on here would be just as likely to wave as anyone else. I notice a lot of Caravelle's around here appear to be driven by mums on the school run and the California's by older couples......not a problem with that. It's fair to say, these people probably won't be into the "scene" but you'd think the penny would've dropped by now.....they're driving along and people give them a friendly wave.....doesn't take much to wave back does it?
No biggy.....not losing any sleep over it....it's just an observation, but it would seem that my Blackberry, oh so mildly modded T6 is either coated with VW's new cloaking, stealth paint or my strawberry blond comb over is making people think, "when did Donald Trump get a T6 Kombi.......what the f*ck is that d*ck head doing in N.Yorks"?
So, fellow T6 pilots, do I:
A) Change my hair style.
B) Get some "Just For Men"
C) Stop making a t*t of myself by waving at people I don't know.
D) Get a life.
E) All of the above.
Standing by for incoming from Caravelle and California jockeys!!
MD:thumbsup:

Yup, always turns me into 2007 Britney Spears! Funnily enough, I’ve just done a short 2 mile journey where 2 T5 owners blanked me...I’m on the edge now!!!

I must average 1 wave a day and have countless people staring and pointing. My van seems to encourage the kids to wave and their parents then join in. Saw a member off here the other day @ausyray and had a chat whilst in traffic. Have a group of about 10 people who live either local or simply on my route to work in T4,T5 and T6 and they all regularly wave.

The problem is with T5's and T6's you don't know whether its just some builder or mum driving it or someone "into" them.

I actually agree about Caravelle and Cali owners - and I AM one!
A lot of stuck up goons who think they are above anyone in a car, van, SUV or anything.
I think the nice ones are in the minority - and yes I have met a few great owners.
Sadly they are "cool" so attract the wrong type of people; I wonder how many use their Calis properly? I bet it's a serious minority.
I therefore apologise on behalf of them all; try using the "other" forum for Cali drivers for a harsh lesson in what trying to buy a lifestyle does to a person.

T4/T25 camper drivers are the most friendly. Bays and Splits have got too "cool" so are usually now owned by Finance Directors from Hampshire who bought one to try and buy themselves a lifestyle. Oh and I know a few down here with them... they fit that criteria (except they don't live in Hampshire) perfectly.

Your post did make me chuckle though!! :rofl:

Ha ha Polzeylad.....it wasn't meant to offend anyone.....I used to drive BMW's and we all know what people thought of Bee Emm drivers.....especially if they were driving in Bradford.....but that's a different story altogether!!:thumbsup:

Ha ha Polzeylad.....it wasn't meant to offend anyone.....I used to drive BMW's and we all know what people thought of Bee Emm drivers.....especially if they were driving in Bradford.....but that's a different story altogether!!:thumbsup:

Yep we’ve got one of those too...:rofl:

Again some true enthusiasts but too many social climbing image goons driving them.

Our Subaru (if you ignore the Impreza turbo thing) is refreshingly free of any image baggage.

I wave at them all cal's caravelles t5 t6 conversions builders and the ones i pass quite regular have started to wave back :) But some look at me daft :confused:

Well when I go out in my Cali if fin I get more waves from T5 owners & 4 for that matter than any one in a T6. All the cali owners I've come across are compeate snobs and on thw motorway just blast on past with out been any recogintion (I have had one who gove a form of reconition after the went past). Most o fthe VW van drivers are tradesmen who are not intersted in waveing any way. ones that do tend to be people who have had their vans converted. I don't bother now unless I get some form of recognition from them. Sad really

My waving etiquette only applies to kombis or lowered vans as normally I would get a response back...sometimes

If you chose wisely you can get a good wave return rate ha

Last edited:
This wave things a myth right !!!!.

I bought my first T4 800 Special in 1998, followed by another 2 and then a T5, and now a T6. All of theses vans have, at the very least had alloy wheels on and have all always immaculately presented.
Yet despite my efforts, I have yet to have a wave returned, EVER by a fellow Transporter driver. Thats nearly 20 years.

I have also owned and driven Landrovers since 1987, and again, have NEVER had a a wave from another Defender/Discovery driver.

Even this week, a blinged up, big rimmed, side barred and rear spoilered T6 came past me on a slow moving dual carridgeway. I looked straight at the driver and waved but he looked straight through me a burnt off.

I'm not feeling the collective love.

Back