Wife thinks I'm nuts

Woodman

I like playing with my wood!
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi Forum peeps, my first post in here probably of many. My car history is very varied, lots of fords in the early 80's RS's, Capris etc, restorations, Landrovers; kit Cobra build the list is long and varied. Yes I am a 56yr old petrol (Diesel) head. Apart from the 2 1/4 Landrover Series 2A diesel pick up. It would do 60 if you were 2 feet off the rear or an artic! Staring at the brake lights intently.

We owned a T5 174 Caravelle several years ago for about 6 years, longest I have owned a single car. I fell out of love with it when the dsg box decided to go t**ts up in the South of France; the day we were comming home, 1 mile from our Villa. Van came home 6 weeks after us. I replaced the box but decided it was time to part company. Apart from the dsg issue it was faultless and went like sh*t off a shovel for a van. Now in a 2010 Range Rover sport TDV8. Absolutely love driving it but can't get bugger all in it! Like the inverse of a Tardis.

However thats all about to change. Over the last 4 years since the van went my Mrs keeps saying wish we still had a Caravelle or a California. Holidays to the south west since seem to be van spotting expeditions. (without the waving and flashing;...... last time I flashed I got arrested).;)

Well 4 weeks ago I done something I have never done, placed a deposit on a new car, not only a car but a LWB T6.1 Kombi 199 dsg highline in Fortana Red. So far nothing crazy about that!!

But she is quite shocked as she seems to think I am buying it in parts. Yes I have a couple of months before likely seeing the van, however whilst she is still enthusiastic the house is filling with all the additional goodies. Last week I bought the gloss black Wolfrace 20"s and Tyres. Today the Audi Grey carpet, sound deadening, insulation , front splitter and rear spoiler arrived ......then the assorted wiring products....then the Black suede lining longer clips etc.....then the Bilstein B14 coilovers...The doorbell needs new batteries and I think the dog's vocal chords are strained to the limit today. Later this week more wiring products, interior led downlights, usb sockets etc. I have arranged with the local trimming company for my seats to be trimmed as soon as I can after it turns up . DK Schweizer (UK) Ltd.

Looking forward like "a bloke on a promise"; to all the hard work creating phase 1 of our retirement camper. Shame it will be winter. Probably rent some workshop space.

I am not sure what the crack is with the gloss black grilles? I am unable to find anyone supplying them so are people getting them Hydro dipped or painted? I have considered hydro dipping in carbon but then applying a red candy over the top but worry our future Camper could be too pimped.

I'd appreciate honest opinions on gloss black; Carbon or red carbon on the trims.????

So by the End of January I hope I will be loving my investment and then crapping myself if ever the Mrs wants to drive....there are just too many pot holes and kerbs for her to aim for.

Anyone who has already sorted a Fortana red van I'd love to see your photos to give me inspiration.

Cheers G

van.JPG

Thanks Dave D I’m not rich by any means I be never smoked don’t drink and don’t lead an extravagant life. Looking at my past health thought we’d spend some of my 33 yrs pension trying to get some life in retirement. We want to see a lot more of our Country whilst we’re able. Seen too many people scrimp and save in retirement to not live long enough to enjoy it. As the saying goes you only live once so we plan to live it

It called displacement therapy! You trying to offset the separation grief from your new baby! By buying it toys in advance. Its all perfectly normal. As long as you do not develop phantom symptoms, you should be OK. Though complete recovery may take some time, with flare ups and other fits of compulsive buying. Women do not understand these things. You will have to humour the poor lady by presenting her with plenty of accessory catalogues.

It called displacement therapy! You trying to offset the separation grief from your new baby! By buying it toys in advance. Its all perfectly normal. As long as you do not develop phantom symptoms, you should be OK. Though complete recovery may take some time, with flare ups and other fits of compulsive buying. Women do not understand these things. You will have to humour the poor lady by presenting her with plenty of accessory catalogues.
I am grateful for the idea I think I might go on her profile on my laptop and put lots of bookmarks on her Google for all the great suppliers out there and convince her that she’s been browsing too

Welcome to the forum. Sounds a lovely spec van :thumbsup:
I’ll keep my eye out for you as I see your from colchester also

Just tell the wife ....I’ve had to order the mods now before Brexit puts the price up...I’m saving money..Honest :laugh:

Just be creative. I'm going into my office tomorrow for the first time in 5 months. The lady of the house asked if I was gong on the train or in the van? In the van obviously, don't want to be using public transport at the moment unless absolutely necessary. Forgot to add onto the end of that sentence that CRS Performance is on route and they have some nice new Koni shocks to be fitted for me. She'll be none the wiser, the van always rode like that darling.........:cool:

Lol Tsixty, best one I done was bought a new trials bike but told her I put a new decal kit on the old one, sometimes it’s gods they don’t show an interest. Gutted today been to dealership now looking like poss Feb before I see the van

Decided to make a start on the interior whilst waiting so I have covered the side and tailgate panels in the alcantara suede. I've put my downlighters in the tailgate panel ready. Now I am comfortable with the process roof next. I have to wait for my van to come so I have a pattern to cut the seat belt holes in these cover panels as they didnt have them in. Glad I over ordered on the material. Probably have enough for the cab headlining and the A / B posts. Not sure yet.

Any photos of covered a/b posts done?

I have covered the bottom of my B pillars in black 4 way stretch carpet, the top half and the A pillars are to be covered in Suede material from Retrorrims.

Will share some pics of the bottom of the B pillars tomorrow.

"she is quite shocked as she seems to think I am buying it in parts."

That bit made me laugh. I remember my postie asking me if I was building another motorbike bit by bit due to the amount if parcels he kept delivering.

Back