Underslung Fresh Water Tank, Shurflo Pump - What Tap?

kn0bby

T6 Guru
Hi Chaps..

Just trying to sort out my water system..

So I have a Smev 9222 sink/hob.. I am getting a underslung fresh water tank fitted soon.. The tank supplier recommended a Shurflo Trail king 12v pump that i've ordered and fitted just not plumbed or wired up.

I know the norma is to have a tap with a microswitch which activates a submersible pump in a water carton. With my sink a tap with a microswitch was provided.

Having not really thought about the tap side, was thinking about wiring the tap microswitch into the pump but on second thoughts the Shurflo Trail king pump seems to work in a pressurised water system.

Do I use the tap I have just don't connect the microswitch or are there pressurised type taps?

Thanks in advance..

Dave.

IMG_3688.jpg IMG_3689.jpg IMG_3690.jpg

Dave,

I’m running the same pump. Just use the flow switch on the pump and ignore the wiring on the tap.

I’m using a smev tap and also a bullfinch shower outlet at the rear neither has wiring connected and the system is permanently pressurised ready for use. I do though have a switch front and back wired in series to a relay so I can isolate if I run low on water. As soon as you open an outlet and the pressure drops low enough the pump kicks up.

I’m also running a water heater with it and it copes with the lot no problem.

You can just about see it buried in my install below.

Jack.

2AEAA746-DFEA-4D5A-9B87-0F99A2CFBEAB.jpeg

Thanks Jack.

I had it wired in last night and pumps works fine just need some water in it.

I also want to a heater and shower outlet. I wanted to fit in one on the back of my units but not sure I’ve got enough room as most of my unit is cupboard doors.

Pic attached, ignore bike.

Have you tested out that heater yet? 240v immersions and keeps topped up on 12v?

6346F29F-A49A-46AC-922D-C4EFDEE63AC9.jpeg

It’s a tricky one to position the outlet particularly as the pipe stubs come straight out of the back. My issue was the over arch tank being in the way but you don’t have that issue at least.

I moved my bottom door to the adjacent side but there is no room in there really it’s just for hose storage and access.

Heater works well on both mains and 12v but obviously a lot slower to heat on 12v. If I was doing it again I’m not sure I would bother for the amount we use it and the space it takes up. It is pretty cool having the shower though when needed. Also hot water in the sink is good if site facilities aren’t great or we are on the move.

The only thing about the shower outlet is that when unplugging the hose they tend to pass a bit of water so you always need a cloth to hand.

I was originally going to put my filler and shower outlet in the bottom cupboard but fibreglass it out with a drain in the bottom, could be an option?

1DA7814C-5BE5-445F-8A6F-06862657B028.jpeg

Hi Dave,

I'm about to do this same job on a T6.

Can I ask a couple of questions? Did you use the 7 litres per minutes 20 PSI shureflo? And did you fit an expansion tank? If not was the flow relatively smooth without it?

Many thanks,

Neil

Hi Chaps..

Just trying to sort out my water system..

So I have a Smev 9222 sink/hob.. I am getting a underslung fresh water tank fitted soon.. The tank supplier recommended a Shurflo Trail king 12v pump that i've ordered and fitted just not plumbed or wired up.

I know the norma is to have a tap with a microswitch which activates a submersible pump in a water carton. With my sink a tap with a microswitch was provided.

Having not really thought about the tap side, was thinking about wiring the tap microswitch into the pump but on second thoughts the Shurflo Trail king pump seems to work in a pressurised water system.

Do I use the tap I have just don't connect the microswitch or are there pressurised type taps?

Thanks in advance..

Dave.

View attachment 43220 View attachment 43221 View attachment 43223

The disadvantage of a pressurised system is that if a leak develops it will empty the tank, probably into the van.

The disadvantage of a pressurised system is that if a leak develops it will empty the tank, probably into the van.
Thanks DXX. I initially thought I'd put an inline version of the normal submersible pump in. Is there a significant disadvantage to this?

Thanks DXX. I initially thought I'd put an inline version of the normal submersible pump in. Is there a significant disadvantage to this?
A submersible pump with an impeller won’t self prime, the impeller needs to be immersed in water which is why it’s mounted at the lowest point in the tank. This is normally where the large access / drain cap is on the tank.

Has anyone fitted a timed relay or similar in the supply to a sureflow pump, so that if it’s not switched off, it automatically cuts the supply after, say 10 mins, to minimise the chance of flooding the van if there’s a leak?

After 1
Has anyone fitted a timed relay or similar in the supply to a sureflow pump, so that if it’s not switched off, it automatically cuts the supply after, say 10 mins, to minimise the chance of flooding the van if there’s a leak?
After 10 minutes at 7L / minute the water will stop flowing by itself.

• Haha
Reactions: CAB
After 1

After 10 minutes at 7L / minute the water will stop flowing by itself.
Yeah but I’m using it for a hose/shower so need don’t want to have to go a keep resetting the switch whilst washing bikes etc. let’s call it 5 and same question!

It’s possible, but if you are in the van you would notice it and turn it off, or if you are away from the van it’s not moving around so unlikely to spontaneously leak. Unless it’s freezing in storage, but then you would have drained it.

Provided everything is the right size and securely connected, it shouldn’t spontaneously leak until it gets very old. Famous last words though, I’ll probably be posting in 6months with “arrgh I flooded my van”.

Something like this would do the job:

Back