Underseat wiring and swivel seats

T6newbie

Hi I’ve been fitting a few bits to my new t6 shuttle. The Drivers swivel was simple but the passenger double swivel from custom shop designs is a bit trickier. I’ve got a small fuse box as well as the usual rear lighting plugs under the seat base. I can just about squeeze them under the floor (but won’t be leaving them there as there are a couple of fuses.

My questions - there is a wire to the seat belts (something for the pretensioner perhaps) which really needs to remain connected. Has anyone else come up with the tidy way to retain this whilst having a swivel base? Any thoughts on the most straightforward way to relocate the fuses under the drivers seat also appreciated. Thank you

Might be wrong here but I have a shuttle with double front seats. I took them out and replaced with a single non T6 seat for a while. I don't think there are pretensioners, atleast not on the passenger side. Is it a yellow plug connector? In which case this is for the side airbag. Would recommend not to switch on your ignition while it's disconnected if your fitting a swivel base, unless you have a carista or access to VCDS to reset the airbag fault light that will appear in the instrument cluster.

Last edited:
Thank you yep I’ve got carista and that’s how I figured it was srs related - Side airbag (as the dash lit up like a Christmas tree and I had to reset it) makes sense. Im expecting this is a regular issue owners have to get around so I’m hoping I can get some advice here.

Hi,

Has anyone found a solution to the side airbg wiring when using a Kiravans double passenger swivel?

I don't want to lose the airbag but can't see how this could remain connected.

A bit annoying as I don't recall this being mentioned in Kiravans guides or Faqs.

Anyone solved this? T6 shuttle here...

Thanks

Hi
I’m afraid I gave up and sold the double swivel. Got the advice of the company fitting my roof who also said there isn’t an easy solution which means you can retain the side airbags. Thanks

Thanks for getting back so quickly. As I expected unfortunately.

Now to ponder the expense of getting a single passenger seat...

I wonder if you can trace the loom back and separate the airbag wires from the bundle to give more slack.

I wonder if you can trace the loom back and separate the airbag wires from the bundle to give more slack.
Thanks for the suggestion.

The trouble is there doesn't appear to be a way of routing the wire past the swivel mechanism - that a I'm aware of anyway.

The seatbelt tensioner is part of the reel which sits in the B pillar, the wire to the belt receiver is to turn off the seatbelt reminder on the instruments. The reminder can be turned off using VCDS

Hi just been reading this thread and deciding whether to have ago or return Swivel Seat plate for my 2 PAX BENCH seat for my SHUTTLE! I was planning to have a go at fitting tomorrow!

Did anyone manage to find a solution to the AIRBAG ISSUE, SPACE UNDER PLATE or any other issues? and actually REFIT their 2 PAX BENCH with a Swivel Plate seat in their T6 Shuttle?

Is their anyway of disconnecting the AIRBAG and overcoming the wiring issue WITHOUT getting a Warning signs popping up?

ADDITIONAL INFO:
I have just checked my T6 SHUTTLE and it has "AIRBAG" written on a Tag that is stitched in to the PAX BENCH SEAT fyi. KIRAVANS have confirmed that their swivel cannot be fitted due to side airbag ..... mmmmm one step forward and 3 steps back!

Be interested to hear from anyone, especially those who commented on the issue above?

@HotandCold @Dieseldonkey @TS4or5 @T6newbie many thanks in advance

Last edited:
My passenger SINGLE has airbag. This seat is on a swivel. I asked Pauly to make me up an airbag wire extension lead. This enabled me to unplug the standard yellow terminal block under the seat, connect the extension in, and get-presto. I can only guess that this can’t be achieved on a double front bench because the swivel plate is on the floor and rotates the seat and the base unit.

My passenger SINGLE has airbag. This seat is on a swivel. I asked Pauly to make me up an airbag wire extension lead. This enabled me to unplug the standard yellow terminal block under the seat, connect the extension in, and get-presto. I can only guess that this can’t be achieved on a double front bench because the swivel plate is on the floor and rotates the seat and the base unit.
That is also my understanding @DaveyB - and having spoken to a guy at VW they are of the opinion that is also the case .... clearly VW would charge an arm and leg to do it .... I think we may rethink it and not rush it for now. ..... I know airbags are there for safety but what a pain in the "swivel" so to speak! Appreciate the quick response. Just in case VW have got this wrong @Pauly any thoughts?

Not sure to be honest, I think the question is if they are saying no because something won’t physically fit or because it not classed as safe or airbag deploying with seat not facing forward ??

When I made @DaveyB lead up I did order extra plugs and crimps so I do have another 300mm lead made up

Hi having just seen the replies I think it’s a case of durability of any extension to the wiring harness. There isn’t really a sensible place to route the wiring which won’t risk it being sliced in two when you swivel the seat. You could connect and disconnect a wiring harness each time you swivel the seat but that’s too much off a faff for me. Thanks

I guess thats the beuty of the single seat swivel, it has a hole in it which I can just bring the extension wire up through; it can't get nipped, crucshed, cut etc.

Not sure to be honest, I think the question is if they are saying no because something won’t physically fit or because it not classed as safe or airbag deploying with seat not facing forward ??

When I made @DaveyB lead up I did order extra plugs and crimps so I do have another 300mm lead made up

When you fitted the extension loom in place, did you have any problem pushing the new connectors together. Is there a special tool for these plugs?

When you fitted the extension loom in place, did you have any problem pushing the new connectors together. Is there a special tool for these plugs?
No, it’s no different than connecting the original plugs together. They are designed to pull apart to enable you to take the seat out.
I’d take a photo for you but I don’t get the van back till a week tomorrow.

The connectors are unique to airbags as they have a reinforced click locking piece made of metal to ensure they can’t come undone but work on the standard connector principle of having to depress a tab to be able to release the plug and withdraw

Thanks all for the excellent comments ... if I invested in a NON airbag double bench seat would this sort it? I.e could I see a swivel then?

ALSO would it cause any electrical issue with the sensor, warning system....?

I guess I may need to invest in a single seat!

Cheers all and thanks again Paul

Swapping for a non airbag version would cause you an error fault on the dash every time you turn the ignition on (unless VCDS can actually code the airbag out). You can connect some resistors together and feed them into the airbag plug to stop the error.

Back