Underseat electrics for Kombi camper conversion

Too busy in the office today to get outside...it's also rather too cold!, so between Zoom meetings (definitely between, not during with camera off...) I tried mapping it out and see where the logical places are given the wires that need to run.
No idea if I can fit these in the seat bases, but plan b allows for consumer unit and/or one or more of the IP65 battery chargers (as both are) to go under the bonnet.
Electrics 210108.jpg

Too busy in the office today to get outside...it's also rather too cold!, so between Zoom meetings (definitely between, not during with camera off...) I tried mapping it out and see where the logical places are given the wires that need to run.
No idea if I can fit these in the seat bases, but plan b allows for consumer unit and/or one or more of the IP65 battery chargers (as both are) to go under the bonnet.
View attachment 97904

I don't think you'll fit a Victron Phoenix 1200 and the battery under one seat. I am yet to receive a two new vehicles (really overdue) which I have similar plans for. In preparation for receiving these vehicles, I spent ages on AutoCAD modelling to establish what would fit where.

Note that it is possible (some would say likely!) that all of the below information is wrong because I have based my drawings on seat base dimensions kindly provided by @T6Jay in a thread that I had going back in November called "Under Seat Dimensions" (When I expected delivery of my first van!). Due to the size of the Victron Phoenix 1200, I think you'll need your inverter on one side and inverter on the other because of the lack of space. This is a bit of a pain due to needing to allow for cable which is capable of providing a peak load of nearly 200A between the seats. (I've gone for 50sq mm from the battery to bus bar and then use the shorter 35sq mm cable length that comes with the Inverter to prevent volt drop.)

The below info is based on a vehicle which will not have EHU as this install is destined for a (swanky) work van which will never have the facility to plug in, but other than the consumer unit, it is similar to your planned set up.

Like you, I intend on installing a Planar heater in this vehicle. I fear that there will be insufficient room for a 60mm duct to run to the back of the seat for the heating vent, but my plan is to wait until the vehicle finally arrives, install this kit and then see if there is a smidgeon of room left! If not I will fabricate a vent in stainless so that the vent can be floor mounted as I cant find any floor mounted ducts that seem remotely robust (Kick proof and prevent debris from entering the outlet............. If anyone knows of anything to save me from this job that would be good?)

I don't know if you will find this useful but I ended up with the below set up. Note that this isn't yet installed and so I cannot 100% guarantee that this will be correct, but if the dimensions of the seat base are correct then it should work:

(Zoomed schematic of front of van detailing kit under seats):
1610171589210.png

Schematic of complete install (Excluding 12 volt van electrics to be taken from from Mini Fuse and Mini Bus):
1610171716279.png

CAD Drawing showing under seats install:
1610171895214.png

The second vehicle will be a camper with twin sliders with a front bench seat. This is a nicer install as it will have a Multiplus which negates the need for a consumer unit, but it will have additional protection installed on the 230 supply from the Multiplus. The plan with this second van is to mount the DC-DC charger, battery and smart shunt under the drivers seat and then mount everything else nicely on a false back of the units so that everything can be accessed through the drivers sliding door. This will slightly compromise the storage space in the cupboards, but keep the bench seat base free. (I can post schematic of this if anyone is interested.)

Don't forget that you will need a fairly significant fuse (200A Breaker, Mega fuse or ANL) on the positive feed to the inverter. (Also suitable fuses on the charging feeds.) It would be really good to include a polarity indicator (Something like this) on the EHU feed.

Last edited:
Thanks Samro, that’s really helpful - love the cad drawings.
It does look likely that I’ll have to separate the battery and inverter. I also have twin sliding doors but would like everything tucked away; haven’t decided what to do with the right sliding door but a back panel, a table (from others photos a table stores there) and maybe even a quick release gas point for the cadac.

having done one conversation already that I was 99% happy with, I thought our second conversion would be much simpler, but I find I’m still thinking through all the possibilities all over again!

As expected, the kit is just too big to get battery and inverter under the seat.
Whilst I don't want to, I'll run everything except the inverter under the front seats, and inverter will go in the Evo cupboards by wheel arch.
Victron 1200W inverter gives 35mm2 cable for "1.5-3m" so whilst not ideal, I'll keep the cable length to under 3m and this should be OK.
Anyone got any better suggestions?

Electrics 210313.jpg

As expected, the kit is just too big to get battery and inverter under the seat.
Whilst I don't want to, I'll run everything except the inverter under the front seats, and inverter will go in the Evo cupboards by wheel arch.
Victron 1200W inverter gives 35mm2 cable for "1.5-3m" so whilst not ideal, I'll keep the cable length to under 3m and this should be OK.

View attachment 108106
Why not put the victron battery protect and the 12V fuse box next to the battery. Then think about putting the CU nexxt to the battery in the engine bay. That should give you enough room to put the inverter under the drivers seat.

Why not put the victron battery protect and the 12V fuse box next to the battery. Then think about putting the CU nexxt to the battery in the engine bay. That should give you enough room to put the inverter under the drivers seat.
I'll have a look at that. The issue still might be that the inverter is too big for the drivers seat base as the Planar heater duct comes through there. Or will do on 6th April when it gets fitted :)

View attachment 108106
If you could fit the battery protect under the passenger seat base and also lose the heater duct you’d have space to install the 12/1200 inverter under the drivers seat? (Planar do a kit to bring the duct through the floor with a floor mounted vent which sorts this issue.)

You’ll also need some protection on the outlet side of the inverter. To save space, my suggestion would be to install a transfer switch so that the consumer unit sits after the ehu connection and inverter so that both are protected. (This would also be neat if the charger was connected to the ehu side of the transfer switch as it would automatically be ”on“ when connected to ehu and disconnect when off grid.)

Last edited:
Back