U.K. To Italy.

Nprice

Good morning,

We are planning a family (2 adults and 2 children) trip in the new T6 to Italy in the summer and looking for some recommendations for campsites to stop in the following locations for overnight stopovers.

• Disneyland Paris
  • Offenburg/rust/Black forest
  • Bolonga
  • Grindelwald
  • Reims
Thanks in advance

Good morning,

We are planning a family (2 adults and 2 children) trip in the new T6 to Italy in the summer and looking for some recommendations for campsites to stop in the following locations for overnight stopovers.

• Disneyland Paris
  • Bolonga
  • Grindelwald
  • Reims
Thanks in advance

Disneyland. Camping Paris - camping Seine et Marne (77) - ᐃ CARAVANING DES 4 VENTS *** - Ile de France

I've stayed at this place and its perfect for Disney.

I have sites for several of your other locations that I've also used, but you will have to wait until I'm home later for those.

Good morning,

• Disneyland Paris
  • Bolonga
  • Grindelwald
  • Reims
Thanks in advance

I've lived in Naples for the last three and a half years so if you fancy a jaunt a bit further south I can recommend a few places to you, particularly in Abbruzzo.

I want to drive to Sicily and will watch this thread with interest.... :)
I drove from Naples to Sicily last Easter and had a great time, did it in a oner though and stayed in an air b n'b a friend had recommended. 23 degrees c and had the beach to ourselves in a little town called Scoglliti on the south coast. I've been told by a few seasoned travelers down here that if you like Sicily, you'll love Sardinia so that's where we're off to next!

I'd recommend camping in Lago Barrea and Lago Matese to anyone if you're coming as far south as Abbruzzo. absolutely fantastic spot.

For Disneyland, we camped at Camping Jablines a few years ago. A decent site for a couple of days and there's a bus stop at the entrance with regular busses to Disneyland (and, obvs, the train station if you also fancied a trip into Paris). IMHO, getting a bus is a lot easier than trying to park up at Disneyland.

Mate of mine who had been with his motorhome, put me off Disneyland Paris and recommended Europa park in Rust, Germany, instead. So we went there. You can camp on site. Just take a ticket out the machine on arrival. Pay on the way out based on how many hours you stay. Has an olde world american mid west theme. Facilities are excellent. The standard of the theme park is extremely high. Very German.

Went from there to Juangfrau camping Lauterbrennen, Switzerland. Not far from Grindelwald and Interlaken. Lots to do and see and some spectacular driving roads.

I've lived in Naples for the last three and a half years so if you fancy a jaunt a bit further south I can recommend a few places to you, particularly in Abbruzzo.

I drove from Naples to Sicily last Easter and had a great time, did it in a oner though and stayed in an air b n'b a friend had recommended. 23 degrees c and had the beach to ourselves in a little town called Scoglliti on the south coast. I've been told by a few seasoned travelers down here that if you like Sicily, you'll love Sardinia so that's where we're off to next!

I'd recommend camping in Lago Barrea and Lago Matese to anyone if you're coming as far south as Abbruzzo. absolutely fantastic spot.
Interesting you mention Aabbruzzo this is our final destination, we head there every summer but usually fly. We are joining family in Roseto delig abruzzi in a villa for a week.

Mate of mine who had been with his motorhome, put me off Disneyland Paris and recommended Europa park in Rust, Germany, instead. So we went there. You can camp on site. Just take a ticket out the machine on arrival. Pay on the way out based on how many hours you stay. Has an olde world american mid west theme. Facilities are excellent. The standard of the theme park is extremely high. Very German.

Went from there to Juangfrau camping Lauterbrennen, Switzerland. Not far from Grindelwald and Interlaken. Lots to do and see and some spectacular driving roads.
Thank you for the park recommendation I am actually heading to Europa Park for a conference next month with work so will see what the park is like before I finalise the journey to Italy. However the family are big Disney fans so may be overruled. Thank you also for the Switzerland recommendation.

Interesting you mention Aabbruzzo this is our final destination, we head there every summer but usually fly. We are joining family in Roseto delig abruzzi in a villa for a week.

Small world! We visitied Pescara last summer when we were staying in the Majella National Park. Stayed In a stone house built into a mountainside in a little village called San Giacomo. We didn't see any but you could smell the Wild Boar everywhere. We walked ten miles one day and didn't see a soul. It's such a wild place. There are Wolves and Bears living wild in the mountains as well! I absolutely love the place. Be a long drive from UK mind!

Thank you for the park recommendation I am actually heading to Europa Park for a conference next month with work so will see what the park is like before I finalise the journey to Italy. However the family are big Disney fans so may be overruled. Thank you also for the Switzerland recommendation.

Your welcome. You pay for the campsite just like paying for a ticket to park at a shopping centre. So even if you didn't want to do the theme park, you can still make use of the camping facilities, if your looking for an overnight stop near Rust. Entrance fee is completely separate for the park.

Small world! We visitied Pescara last summer when we were staying in the Majella National Park. Stayed In a stone house built into a mountainside in a little village called San Giacomo. We didn't see any but you could smell the Wild Boar everywhere. We walked ten miles one day and didn't see a soul. It's such a wild place. There are Wolves and Bears living wild in the mountains as well! I absolutely love the place. Be a long drive from UK mind!
It is such a beautiful area, we have family that live in Notoresco but we tend to rent a villa on the beach rather then in the hills/mountains. My wife has been visiting the area annually for over 30 years.

The plan is to spend about 7 days driving down including a day at Disney, a full day in the lakes/verona, 6 full days in the villa and 4 days to drive back to the UK.

It is such a beautiful area, we have family that live in Notoresco but we tend to rent a villa on the beach rather then in the hills/mountains. My wife has been visiting the area annually for over 30 years.

The plan is to spend about 7 days driving down including a day at Disney, a full day in the lakes/verona, 6 full days in the villa and 4 days to drive back to the UK.

Amazing place and lucky you!

Sounds like a good plan. First time I drove to Naples with my Dad and one of my brothers we did it over three days which was pretty good but longer can only be better!

We recently drove home for xmas, only had two weeks in UK and lots of family to get round. Did the drive in 27 hrs! I was glad of the Caravelle I can tell you!

I drove to Bologna through to Cervia from the UK in September for an IM.
I would say from my experience Italy was the worst for driving through regarding the quality of roads. If you like your alloys balanced and suspension take it easy. Also the drivers were mental.
France, Germany and Switzerland were superb to drive through, especially Switzerland.

I would completely agree with that. If you want to stay on the good roads, pay the tolls. Also I think the closer you get to Naples, the worse the driving gets. I

Good morning,

• Disneyland Paris
  • Bolonga
  • Grindelwald
  • Reims
Thanks in advance

We use Searchforsites and Camping Card apps to travel round Europe, it’s good for free and paid sites.
You’ll need a Swiss motorway toll pass which can be bought at the border or online and posted and is valid Jan - Dec. Motorway vignette
The same site also offers travel discount passes, there are quite a few options and they can also be bought in Tourist Information offices, the later might be best as the weather is fairly unpredictable.
Campsites tend to include a free bus travel pass which links up to a very efficient rail system.......the UK could really learn a lot here!
In Switzerland wild camping is only allowed above the tree line so effectively that is for people on foot, the fines are big.
We stayed at Camping-Ferien Wang Beatenberg Switzerland Käthi und Ruedi Knecht which is a basic and quiet site family run site with frequent short bus links to Interlaken which is the hub for the Jungfrau region. All Swiss sites have an added tourist tax. I’m not sure that there are any campsites in Grindelwald, to be honest it’s not somewhere I would want to stay, mostly hotels and Chinese tourists.
You can save a small fortune by buying fuel, food and drink before entering Switzerland.

Regarding Reims; We camped overnight on a free aire nearby as not many campsites about at the time of the year we visited.

I’d agree with others comments about road condition and driving standards in Italy, some rural roads in agricultural areas just north of Lake Garda had me driving at around 20 MPH for hours with no easy route out. Driving on motorways around Milan is hell, like Mumbai with much faster cars. In two hours we witnessed the aftermath of three really serious accidents.
Diesel in Italy gets much cheaper as you go south.

In addition to the above when driving through France, Italy and Switzerland, use the navigation app "Waze" as its illegal to have any speed camera detectors in your vehicle.
Waze plots where speed cameras are and is updated by other road users. It will give you a heads up when approaching one

In addition to the above when driving through France, Italy and Switzerland, use the navigation app "Waze" as its illegal to have any speed camera detectors in your vehicle.
Waze plots where speed cameras are and is updated by other road users. It will give you a heads up when approaching one
Im pretty sure that also illegal in France. Not sure about the others.

In months of traveling around Europe the only direct contact I’ve had with the police is being asked ‘what are you cooking for breakfast’.
Getting paid, do they really give a sh!t?

Im pretty sure that also illegal in France. Not sure about the others.
No it's fine to use. Waze gets around it by stating they detect speed control zones and don't pin point cameras. Although I found it pretty accurate to the point of passing them at the same time as indicated on the app.
Its perfect for detecting traffic incidents etc

Thinking about heading to northern Italy next summer.
Has anyone done the trip from the U.K.? Or have any good routes to take?

I presume it Would it be best to book the sites all in advance ?

Any help or advice much appreciated

Back