U.K. To Italy.

I live in CH, knowledge of the basel, zurich area and pretty good of luzern grindelwald interlaken area.

Pretty much any campsite will be of a very high standard so no concerns there. All will have a pitch up and see system, you can also call on the day if you are not close, majority will speak English.

Interlaken is a tourist town but has some decent campsites. Grindelwald was a campsite but again a tourist town as is the whole area. If you want a stop over for few days and do nothing then look at lauterbrunnen otherwise consider interlaken or luzern.

Remember the 40chf vignette is only for the motorway.

As long as you avoid July/August, there’s no need to book sites in our experience. We do a 1 month skiing trip & a 2 month “summer trip” in May/June & never book anything. Get yourself an ACSI card, the ACSI CC app/Searchforsites & park4night & you’re sorted. If you’re going in school holidays, ignore everything I’ve just said.
I’m going in school holidays haha

We stayed at Camping Stuhlegg, Krattigen. Easy access to Grindelwald and Laterbrunnen (which is unmissable). The camping overlooks lake Brienz, and is a fantastic setting. Lovely eatery nearby which is reasonably priced at lunchtime.
You will thank me for this info !

We stayed at Camping Stuhlegg, Krattigen. Easy access to Grindelwald and Laterbrunnen (which is unmissable). The camping overlooks lake Brienz, and is a fantastic setting. Lovely eatery nearby which is reasonably priced at lunchtime.
You will thank me for this info !
Brilliant info thanks.

We went to the Jungfrau campsite in Switzerland last June which is an excellent campsite because the train station is a ten minute walk away and you can go all over from there. We live in Newcastle so took the DFDS service over to Amsterdam then drove through Holland into Belgium where we visited the 101st Airborne museum in Bastogne then another hour down the road into Luxembourg for the night and a refuel. Luxembourg was not very inspiring by the way.
We drove from there into France to Colmar and visited the old town and stayed the night then on to Lauterbrunnen in Switzerland for a week which is the most beautiful place I have ever been to and with so many things to do and see. We stocked up in Aldi in Colmar before Switzerland because we knew it was going to be expensive.
Heading for home we drove the length of Liechtenstein then half an hour across Austria into Germany and stayed in Fussen and had a look at the magnificent castle that is there.
From there we drove to Koblenz and stayed on a campsite right on the bank of the Rhine and there just so happened to be a beer festival on at the time so we indulged ourselves for the afternoon.
We then headed for Holland and stayed alongside the Rhine in Arnhem for the night before finally moving on to Amsterdam for a couple of nights and then Homers.
To be honest I was like everyone else prior to the trip worrying about the rules and regulations of road use and whether we would find space in a campsite and now know that there is nothing to worry about. The European countries are so geared up to campervanning and the countries are so vast that unless you want to stop in the most touristy place along with everyone else and their dog it is really easy to cuff it and take each day/night as it comes. The campsites are mostly immaculate and very efficient.

Do the sites not get booked up? With it being my first time , I’m just concerned about being stuck with no site to stay on!
As per Salty...we just had the ASCI app or book and looked up what was near when we wanted to stop. Give them a quick call and see if they have space or just rock up. Think we only got turned away once...that was in July/August as well. We did initially pre-book, but that quickly went out the window!

If you want to save some real money fill up with food and booze before entering Switzerland, there’s some restriction on meat and dairy but I’ve never been checked.

PS: Stay out of Belgium, driving in that country is not for the faint hearted.
Just for balance, I've spent a fair bit of time in Belgium (the odd touring holiday but mostly around Mons and Brussels for work) and never found the driving to be particularly worse that anywhere else in Europe. IME, the motorway service areas on the other hand can be pretty awful (but my experiences might be a little out of date now).

Last edited:
This was a great stopover on the Peage just north of Abbeville. Just an hour from Calais. Accessible from either side of the Motorway, free, showers, water etc.

Beyond doubt my 5-6 trips to Europe a year is made easier by the searchforsites.co.uk app.

Im pretty sure that also illegal in France. Not sure about the others.
In Austria dash cams are illegal. I know this cos an Austrian copper told me to remove it! Data protection and privacy laws :rolleyes:

As per Salty...we just had the ASCI app or book and looked up what was near when we wanted to stop. Give them a quick call and see if they have space or just rock up. Think we only got turned away once...that was in July/August as well. We did initially pre-book, but that quickly went out the window!
Same approach for us and we've never been let down yet (but we don‘t tend travel in school holidays and ACSI discounts aren’t available then either).

Just for balance, I've spent a fair bit of time in Belgium (the odd touring holiday but mostly around Mons and Brussels for work) and never found the driving to be particularly worse that anywhere else in Europe. IME, the motorway service areas on the other hand can be pretty awful (but my experiences might be a little out of date now).
Oh it’s not out of date mate. I stopped for a slash at 3 separate Belgium aires last month and every one was wall to wall shit, toilet paper and rubbish both inside the toilets and around the outside ares. Contrast that with the German and French stop offs and there is a world of difference.

What do you guys use for storage when travelling long distances ?
Trailers? Roof boxes? Tow bar box?
With two kids in tow I’ll need something extra for storage.

What do you guys use for storage when travelling long distances ?
Trailers? Roof boxes? Tow bar box?
With two kids in tow I’ll need something extra for storage.
If it’s not in the van, it doesn’t go. Be ruthless & disciplined. Use every nook & cranny. It’s half the fun.

Back