Tyre Width?

@YESBOY I'm confused....if the profile (40) and rim diameter (20) is the same front and rear how can the radius be out? I'm not sure how width can change the rolling radius.

40 is a percentage not a measurement. So 40% of 265 is smaller than 40% of 275. So 265 is a smaller rolling radius as the tyre wall height is smaller.
That's why I said my 245/40/17 I have on my car is the same sidewall height as my vans 275/35/20.

@YESBOY ...Thanks for that.....this wheel/tyre upgrade is starting to do my head in!....as I have 8.5 front and 9.5 rear are you saying I should of gone 275/35/20 on the rears?

@YESBOY I'm confused....if the profile (40) and rim diameter (20) is the same front and rear how can the radius be out? I'm not sure how width can change the rolling radius.
The "40" bit is not an absolute number, it's a ratio of sidewall to width, so a 275/40 would have a higher sidewall than a 255/40

At least that's what I vaguely remember unless I dreamt it :thumbsup:

Edit: Bugger, I took so long to write that, that by the time I'd posted it @RattyMcClelland had explained it far better!

ok so a quick search has shown that I can't get a 275/35/20 with the correct load rating....so if anyone can advise me on what will be the best tyre size for a 8.5x20 and 9.5x20 set of rims?

I don't know !!! All I know is I was going different size wheels until I tried to get matching tyres with high enough load rating and gave up and went with 9 front and back !!! Good luck sleep well !!!!!

As you can all tell, it doesn't take much to confuse me and that's why I like this forum!

I don't know !!! All I know is I was going different size wheels until I tried to get matching tyres with high enough load rating and gave up and went with 9 front and back !!! Good luck sleep well !!!!!

@YESBOY thanks for all the advice...I appreciate it.....with regards to sleep.....I doubt that at the minute....I need to figure this out and cancel Sundays tyre fitting appointment lol...

:cry:

There are about 8000 different threads relating to T32 wheels/tyres on the forum, if you can trawl through them all you're bound to find the answer :rofl:

I feel quite lucky having a T28, we can put bicycle tyres on ours :thumbsup:

@andys Cheers for that....you just rub it in.....note to ones self......when I purchase a T7 I'll make sure it's not a T32! :confused:

Its cos the profile is a % of the width (i.e. 40% of 265 or 275). See my spreadie above....with a 265 width tyre the side wall height of the tyre is 106mm but with 275 that becomes 110mm, which in turn means that the circumference of the tyre is 2262mm with a 265 vs 2287mm with a 275.

Not sure why it would matter that the radius is different....just means rear wheels are rotating at slightly different rate to the front wheels, which should be fine shouldn't it if the axles are turning independently. Maybe it becomes a problem with 4motion as then presumably the wheels all need to rotate at same rte?

I've been doing some research and the majority of reviews say as long as the difference is less than 2% then it should be fine. As long as the tyre size is the same each end of the axle and it's not a 4x4

@YESBOY thanks for asking.....tyres seem to fit ok....now I've got to book in to re-adjust the b14s and fit the wheels....cant do it until the 1st week in September....the saga continues

I am confused! Would a 275 40 20 tyre on a 8.5j front and 275 40 20 tyre on a 9.5j wheel on the back look alright?

Or would the back look too stretched?

I am confused! Would a 275 40 20 tyre on a 8.5j front and 275 40 20 tyre on a 9.5j wheel on the back look alright?

Or would the back look too stretched?
It definitely won’t look too stretched.... I’m currently running 275/40/20 on a 10” rear and that’s not too stretched. What Van have you got T28, T32??

Its a t32 t6. I am wanting inovit turbines and I know they are not load rated for a t32 but I never carry anything in it. I may get shot for admiting that but they are bringing out 1950lbs turbines this year when I rang inovit uk today.
There seem to be better offers on staggered alloys so was wondering what they would look like with those tyres? I want 40 sidewalls for comfort as it has been lowered 50mm on stance ultras coilerovers. Have you any pictures of your van?

I

Its a t32 t6. I am wanting inovit turbines and I know they are not load rated for a t32 but I never carry anything in it. I may get shot for admiting that but they are bringing out 1950lbs turbines this year when I rang inovit uk today.
There seem to be better offers on staggered alloys so was wondering what they would look like with those tyres? I want 40 sidewalls for comfort as it has been lowered 50mm on stance ultras coilerovers. Have you any pictures of your van?

I
You should really speak to @ChrisR at The Van Cave.... he’s an Inovit dealer and will be able to give you all the help and advice you need.... if you buy them from him he might be able to do you a good deal too!

I
D957324A-F655-45FE-A5C7-9BF8B05A2846.png

If I was you I’d go for 265/40/20 all round.... 275/40/20 on an 8.5” front is too wide. Mine are 8.5” on the front and the tyre bulges compared to the rear.

Back