Tyre pressures anybody checked?

Had my van a week(T32 Kombi used as a car) then lowered it 50mm drove awful checked tyre pressures had 55psi all round, looked on the side of the van it states 56 psi front 47 rear.

Does this sound like a lot?

I've dropped pressure down to 54 front and 45 rear drives like a different van?

Any body else checked theres?

Hi. I'm a 1st time Transporter owner. Got my T32 Kombi 4 weeks ago and had the same issue.

Mine's for a partial family kid taxi use at weekends and light load lugging during the week for work. Usually no more that 20-80kg in the back, but occasional picking up of tiles (200-500kg) - but yes the ride was bone-shakingly harsh. I only got the T32 because this one was in stock.

I dropped mine down a bit but it's still a bit harsh and there's hardly any bulge in the tyre at all so I may try a bit lower today and see how that is. Just wondering if anyone knows the true best type pressure that's still occasionally OK for a 200-500kg pick-up now and then?

Drive mine straight the the dealer to a tyre place who fitted new tyres on Sportline rims I got the dealer to supply. Not checked tyres fitted to van from dealer but they felt very hard and should be as the plate states 58psi

Numpty tyre centre fitted new tyres which I checked after a couple of days and they ranged from 28-34 psi no two the same. Car range of pressures not the specified 45-50 psi for van tyres.

Point is trust no one.

I agree. That's what's stated. All helps reduce rolling resistance and increase MPG by 0. something

The pressures depicted on the van aren't for 18's, its for the original 17's, so the pressures will be different. Max pressure printed on the sidewall of my tyres (18's) says 51psi which is lower than the sticker on the B-post!

I have a t32 Kombi I use for work . It has the seats out and only about 300 kg max of weight in it but went for the t32 for tax reasons. It is very had compared to my other van as the only went up to 29 000 kg but have dropped pressures down to 35 front and 30 on rear and they still look ok and drive fine. I am hoping to replace the rear springs over Christmas so going for t28 or t30 and see how I get on .if you needed the weight from time to time it could be worth changing the shocks first as I think they struggle to control the rebound with a empty van . I have been told they use one shock setting for all the weights but not sure if this is correct . I find the front ok but took a few thousand miles to soften up.
Forgot to say don't drop the fronts below 35 psi as you could roll them off the rim in a fast corner

Had my winters fitted about a month ago. Drove them for week or so and felt they were a tad lively. But they are brand new tyres, and winters, which together I thought was the reason. After another week I suspected all was not ok, so checked the pressures.......66psi! Dropped them down to 46 as they should be and boy! what a difference. Back to normal, well for winters.

I went back to the place I had them fitted, and they were shocked and apologised. The lad who had put the air in was new and they had let him go a few days earlier, as he "wasn't working out". I've used them for years, and will still use them in the future, I'll just put it down as one of those things. But trying to get the correct pressures is not easy with so many different tyre makes, sizes from VW, plus people fitting some pretty questionable wheels and tyres (and how many are C-rated?) on top of all that there's the eco pressures as well. Not exactly a mine field, but confusing.

I have a t32 Kombi I use for work . It has the seats out and only about 300 kg max of weight in it but went for the t32 for tax reasons. It is very had compared to my other van as the only went up to 29 000 kg but have dropped pressures down to 35 front and 30 on rear and they still look ok and drive fine. I am hoping to replace the rear springs over Christmas so going for t28 or t30 and see how I get on .if you needed the weight from time to time it could be worth changing the shocks first as I think they struggle to control the rebound with a empty van . I have been told they use one shock setting for all the weights but not sure if this is correct . I find the front ok but took a few thousand miles to soften up.
Forgot to say don't drop the fronts below 35 psi as you could roll them off the rim in a fast corner
I thought about changing my t32 rear Springs for some t30 ones
I had a t30 loan van and it was a lot better drive than my t32 .

Really not best to trust tyre places. I checked my pressures as while I was waiting a guy came in to complain that his car had just failed the MOT due to a wheel nut missing. He had tyres done two days before and wanted to know if they had his missing wheel nut. The Manager went to the workshop and came back with the answer "no we have not got it, the fitted did notice that it was missing but forgot to put it not he job sheet"

Apparently its fine to drive a car with a wheel nut missing so long as your write it down on a job sheet. This same tyre centre also offers MOT's just to add to the failing.

Hi Craig
I am still looking for springs on eBay and misted a set the other day but as soon i have fitted them i will post on the out come. The info i have so far is 3 yellow 1 orange on t30 and 4 yellow on t28.
i am sure the fronts will be ok as i go over cattle grids 8 times a day and the feeling from the rear is strange as i have been driving over them for the last 20 years in cars and vans but not up to the weight of the t32. The front feels normal so i will just do the rears to start with.

Hi Craig
I am still looking for springs on eBay and misted a set the other day but as soon i have fitted them i will post on the out come. The info i have so far is 3 yellow 1 orange on t30 and 4 yellow on t28.
i am sure the fronts will be ok as i go over cattle grids 8 times a day and the feeling from the rear is strange as i have been driving over them for the last 20 years in cars and vans but not up to the weight of the t32. The front feels normal so i will just do the rears to start with.
There will be loads kicking around ,lots of lowering going on .

HI as previous post regard VB AIR. I have run VW Transporters at high weight for many years. T5,2 and T6 at 50 PSI all round due to weight as taking the Mic really regarding weight carried. A normal van normally unladen i.e. combi really only needs to run 38 psi to 40psi all round unless a 4 motion as average. this will give you comfort plus tyre life. IF 18 inch rims or bigger fitted plus, you will also suffer from inside wear on rear tyres. Even more if loaded. Transporters have had this problem for years and previous models to T6 plus T5.2 and T5. Remember load index regarding weight of van, normally 17 inch only go up to 103 XL index and after car tyres regarding load index or normally really expensive if trying to carrie any weight.The same problem remains with the T6/T5.2/T5 when lowering inside wear on rear tyres will be noticeable. Independent rear arms are great full stop against been axle regarding handling, but has always been a bug bear. ANYWAY Its worth it as T5/T5.2/T6 Look mint lowered anyway with big rims with spec. Remember that max psi stated on tyre side wall is for seating the bead of the tyre when fitting the tyre to the rim if required to fit. this is a cold operating maximum, the tyre should be run at higher operating temps under this pressure.

Hi, just about to ask for recommendations on tyre pressures and found this thread, which I think has given me the answer but I'll check anyway.

I'm running a T6 T32 Kombi on the 18" Sportline wheels with 255/45 R 18 Y XL tyres fitted. It has the factory lowering springs too. The dealer suggested 38 psi all round unladen and 51 psi max load.

Does this sound about right?

Thanks.

I run at 40psi all round with the same tyre size on a T30 Kombi and all seems well after 12000 miles.

Back