Tyre pressures anybody checked?

trying to work out mine as the original 17" devonports are 80 psi max on the tyre wall but the label on B post says 58 front 58 back with max load. my new 20" say max 50 psi on wall but are at 35 front and back!

i did some calculations and there was a 27.5% lower psi from max to what is on the label on B post which on a 50 psi max tyre is 37 at max load.

dont know how else to work it out or if that's even correct lol.

Lots of opinions on the tyre pressure subject! However in the event of an accident if the police find that the tyre pressures are outside the specified range and contributed to the accident I doubt they’ll be too concerned about the passenger comfort factor.

I agree about checking the torque. Too many tyre fitters use the air gun which seem to overtighten the nuts which in turn stretches the studs, but I’m guessing not many drivers carry a torque wrench! When I started driving trucks back in the mists of time we tightened the nuts until the studs “cracked”, not forgetting that the near side nuts tightened anti clockwise!

guilty as charged :rolleyes:
Me too Loz, but it’s second nature to do all the checks I’d do on a truck every day.
When I can be bothered to work I have to check around 20 things on the truck and 15 on the trailer; that’s at the start and the end of the shift. Also having driven in Northern Ireland during the troubles I take a look underneath too.

I base my 18" pressures on the old Sportline advice, see below. That's based on 18" wheel.

user123461_pic301857_1457552971.jpg

I just fitted my 20” x 8.5 front and 10” rears and first thing I did was drive to a garage to set the pressures. Only problem is I don’t know what to set them to with (obviously) no 20” option on the sticker inside the door.

I set them to 44psi (the 18” option) but after driving it I think this may be too high.

If anyone has any advice I’m all ears, other wise I may drop the pressures and just update this after driving it a while.

HI as previous post regard VB AIR. I have run VW Transporters at high weight for many years. T5,2 and T6 at 50 PSI all round due to weight as taking the Mic really regarding weight carried. A normal van normally unladen i.e. combi really only needs to run 38 psi to 40psi all round unless a 4 motion as average. this will give you comfort plus tyre life. IF 18 inch rims or bigger fitted plus, you will also suffer from inside wear on rear tyres. Even more if loaded. Transporters have had this problem for years and previous models to T6 plus T5.2 and T5. Remember load index regarding weight of van, normally 17 inch only go up to 103 XL index and after car tyres regarding load index or normally really expensive if trying to carrie any weight.The same problem remains with the T6/T5.2/T5 when lowering inside wear on rear tyres will be noticeable. Independent rear arms are great full stop against been axle regarding handling, but has always been a bug bear. ANYWAY Its worth it as T5/T5.2/T6 Look mint lowered anyway with big rims with spec. Remember that max psi stated on tyre side wall is for seating the bead of the tyre when fitting the tyre to the rim if required to fit. this is a cold operating maximum, the tyre should be run at higher operating temps under this pressure.

Same here with us, 50PSI all round (18inch sportline rims) as the van is fully loaded weight wise, was never a problem on the T5.1 so assuming its gona be the same on the T6........only time will tell. just keep an eye on the tyre wear pattern. if there wearing down in the center then your over filling them......if the wear is worse on the outer edges then your too low.

Back