Tyre-pressures… this can’t be right

BruvDunk

VIP Member
A92027AB-716E-4B73-A08D-ED8701B443EC.jpeg
56 to 58psi in the front and back. All info I can see in posts mentions around 38 to 40 psi which is what they are inflated to. It’s a T32 Kombi. 56 to 58 seems bloomin high ?

EDIT: info corrected ( thank you @Brookfold1 )

thats with 7 people and 4x cases = max load = high PSI.

"The sticker is saying fully loaded (5 people, 3 cases in the illustration) 58psi front and rear or not fully loaded (2 people, 1 case in the illustration) 56psi front, 47 rear."

++++++++++++

what spec van? - 7 seater?

what size wheel?

+++++++++++++++++++

fwiw - i run 18" factory sportlines @ 50psi - panel van with heavy load ( and have even wear on all tyres )

Last edited:
I was surprised when I checked mine too a few months back. They were around 40ish all round. But followed the guidance (ish) and it’s made an improvement in fuel economy immediately. Slightly firmer ride, but nothing dramatic.

Im on original 205/65 16’s. As it’s a full conversion with pop top, it’s at the heavier end of the two guide figures, so went for 60 all round. Seems to have improved mpg by about 3-4mpg on average.

what size wheel?

+++++++++++++++++++

fwiw - i run 18" factory sportlines @ 50psi - panel van with heavy load ( and have even wear on all tyres )
Its on the standard wheels at the moment... 215 60 17s. Its a T32 - one 3 seater in the back ... Will be towing a caravan on the odd occasion until the camper conversion is done.. So I better put some air in them then...

I was surprised when I checked mine too a few months back. They were around 40ish all round. But followed the guidance (ish) and it’s made an improvement in fuel economy immediately. Slightly firmer ride, but nothing dramatic.

Im on original 205/65 16’s. As it’s a full conversion with pop top, it’s at the heavier end of the two guide figures, so went for 60 all round. Seems to have improved mpg by about 3-4mpg on average.
Will top them up 56 front, 49/50 in the back and see what that's like then .

what size wheel?

+++++++++++++++++++

Standard wheels at the moment. 215 60 17s.... Kombi T32 with one 3 seater in the back.. will chuck some air in 56 front, 49/50 in the rear...

what size wheel?

+++++++++++++++++++

It's not. The sticker is saying fully loaded (5 people, 3 cases in the illustration) 58psi front and rear or not fully loaded (2 people, 1 case in the illustration) 56psi front, 47 rear.

It's not. The sticker is saying fully loaded (5 people, 3 cases in the illustration) 58psi front and rear or not fully loaded (2 people, 1 case in the illustration) 56psi front, 47 rear.
yes . . . you are absolutely correct.

Brain fart time. . . :( :( :( :(

example:

max load - 62/62 PSI ( green)

min load - 58/50 PSI (yellow)

1661100307581.png

++++++++++++++++++

re above:

mine is MY18, T32 ( running heavy) on 255-45-zr18 103y Xl - which i run 50 PSI all round

1661100587205.png

+++++++++++++++++++++

this was issued with the van and wheels

1661100651452.png

Bear in mind that the recommended pressures are what would be used when doing the emissions testing. User preferred pressures are generally less than that. Also, the sticker refers to C rated tyres. If you are using SUV type tyres, they can be lower for added comfort and better handling.

Check the tyres as well as above if they are SUV type they have limitations on max pressure to use. Im sure mine say Max 45psi.

I was also very surprised when I saw the tyre pressures. Since I have 205/16 65c it's 51 rear 58 front for good economy but it does feel like a bone shaker when you go over pot holes which brings me to the another question! Does it affect the life of the shocks?

If you go up to a tyre size 215/65/16 you can run them at much lower pressure which would be more comfortable. I haven’t done it yet but I’m about to go to that size so no real world experience. What I do recommend if you’ve got the money is to get upgraded anti-roll bars and koni special active shocks. We have got them and they make a huge difference

Just been to Costco in Cardiff for some shopping. While there I popped my campervan to their tyre place to have tyre pressure checked. Also running on original 205/65 16's same as you. All mine were around 45. Gentlemen asked what pressure they should be and we had look at the door, he was well confused about the upper limit of 60. Mine is also pop-top conversion T6.1. I opted for 60 all around, but he was sceptical about it.

Are you still running on 60?

Just been to Costco in Cardiff for some shopping. While there I popped my campervan to their tyre place to have tyre pressure checked. Also running on original 205/65 16's same as you. All mine were around 45. Gentlemen asked what pressure they should be and we had look at the door, he was well confused about the upper limit of 60. Mine is also pop-top conversion T6.1. I opted for 60 all around, but he was sceptical about it.

Are you still running on 60?
Yep, still on 60 all round. No issues and nice even tyre wear.

Reactions: EdH
Back