TVS DSG remap.

Cuiken

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I'm pretty happy with the power of our 204ps BiTDI but the DSG box can be a bit sluggish and has a tendency to be in too low a gear when you really don't expect it.

So, rather than an ECU remap I was curious about the TVS DSG remap.

However, I can make literally neither head nor tail of the options they list:

Which gearbox do I have? Which of the 6 options (D through 4) do I want (or indeed can I have)?

Which of the multitude of options here should I be looking at? The van is currently running stock power but I can't promise I won't go for a Revo Stage1 map at some point...

Any guidance gratefully received.

Don't think about too much. See attached.

That is really helpful thanks. It might just be good marketing but those four point totally summarise my issues with the existing setup.

That said, the brochure does not mention which of the 6 different DQ500 options listed on the website (D, Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 2+, Stage 3, Stage 4) that it is describing. Is this just the D (drivability) package? Should I go for the Stage 2 package in case I ever want to map the engine?

Arrrrrrghhhh, I'm already thinking about it too much :)

Well worth the Upgrade…had the Drivability package on The DSG only ( 204 ) but I had changed the tyres from low profile to cross climate that has helped with the wheel spins…Still so much Fun :)

Just the driveability upgrade will be all you need for a T6, the stages are really only for vehicles with serious power. I've got a TSI remapped to 300bhp and the drivabililty map makes the DSG behave as I always wished it would.

Just the driveability upgrade will be all you need for a T6, the stages are really only for vehicles with serious power. I've got a TSI remapped to 300bhp and the drivabililty map makes the DSG behave as I always wished it would.
100%. My SO has Audi Q3 with the same DQ500 box and it behaves like it should from the factory - apparently different software. TVS DSG remap fixed it for my T6, now it uses proper gear for the speed and actually shifts down climbing a hill.

Why would it…
Wouldn’t VW see that the van had been remapped? I know little of these things but I thought that put up massive barriers to any warranty discussions that might arise

Wouldn’t VW see that the van had been remapped? I know little of these things but I thought that put up massive barriers to any warranty discussions that might arise
Not that I know anything either but yes, they see the transmission is running an updated software if they take a look and I guess they could use that as an excuse to weasel out of DSG warranty repairs. Surely it shouldn’t affect any other component warranties though.

Googling around there seems to be actually very few issues with DQ500 considering the millions of vehicles it’s installed in. I’m only speaking for myself and not advicing anybody but I find the odds of tranny failure during warranty period fairly unlikely, mapped or not. And anyway, my vehicle is out of the very generous 2 year warranty offered here so wouldn’t make difference either way, weasels already have their means for doing what weasels do best ;)

Not that I know anything either but yes, they see the transmission is running an updated software if they take a look and I guess they could use that as an excuse to weasel out of DSG warranty repairs. Surely it shouldn’t affect any other component warranties though.

Googling around there seems to be actually very few issues with DQ500 considering the millions of vehicles it’s installed in. I’m only speaking for myself and not advicing anybody but I find the odds of tranny failure during warranty period fairly unlikely, mapped or not. And anyway, my vehicle is out of the very generous 2 year warranty offered here so wouldn’t make difference either way, weasels already have their means for doing what weasels do best ;)
The weasels are multiplying, I fear!!!

I’ve only recently signed up to the “all in” package with extended warranty, service and VW assist etc. I’d be nervous of undermining that, tbh.

However, I am intrigued when views are expressed on the forum by those who normally talk sense (you know who you are guys - take the compliment!) saying that the “Driveability” makes a positive impact and is more than enough of a remap etc!

saying that the “Driveability” makes a positive impact and is more than enough of a remap etc!
Again, just my view with no data to back it up, but having gone down the route of DSG remap I think it will actually reduce clutch and DMF wear. Not that weasels care if the warranty game is being played.

Again, just my view with no data to back it up, but having gone down the route of DSG remap I think it will actually reduce clutch and DMF wear. Not that weasels care if the warranty game is being played.
Thanks for the explanation - gives me food for thought! These days I’m not doing enough driving to justify the money though. That said, the notion that it actually protects against potential issues more is an interesting consideration.

Thanks for the explanation - gives me food for thought! These days I’m not doing enough driving to justify the money though. That said, the notion that it actually protects against potential issues more is an interesting consideration.
I totally understand the warranty worries and maybe wouldn’t have remapped during the warranty period. Or maybe would, we only live once and all that ;)

Like I said I totally have no data about positive impact but my gut feeling is that juddering with way too high gear like the standard box does must have consequences. With the remap it just feels natural, pretty much what I would do with a manual box anyway.

Last edited:
Just spoke to Eco-Tune in Glasgow (only place in Scotland that will do the TVS upgrade) and they told me that, for some reason, they have not historically been able to install the TVS DSG update on T6 vans. No specifics given.

Does anyone know what this might relate to?

@BognorMotors, sorry to haul you in but have you ever heard of anything like this? I'd love to have you do the work but Edinburgh to Bognor is a bit of a stretch :)

Thanks.

Just spoke to Eco-Tune in Glasgow (only place in Scotland that will do the TVS upgrade) and they told me that, for some reason, they have not historically been able to install the TVS DSG update on T6 vans. No specifics given.

@BognorMotors, sorry to haul you in but have you ever heard of anything like this? I'd love to have you do the work but Edinburgh to Bognor is a bit of a stretch :)

Thanks.
Think of the lovely run home….with a pit stop with Steve @CRS Performance to enhance the journey even more!

Oh hang on, you’ve still got Greta stalking you guys, haven’t you?!!!

Think of the lovely run home….with a pit stop with Steve @CRS Performance to enhance the journey even more!

Oh hang on, you’ve still got Greta stalking you guys, haven’t you?!!!

I'm a bit of a hypocrite on this:

1. Love my fast van.

2. Agree with everything that Greta says.

Possibly I'm very much the problem.....

I'm also already running a set of CRS approved H&R coilovers :)

Thanks.
I had TVS update done by @BognorMotors last week. Makes a big difference IMO. It always seems to be in the right gear and ready to go at junctions rather than sluggishly thinking about it.

I'm a bit of a hypocrite on this:

1. Love my fast van.

2. Agree with everything that Greta says.

Possibly I'm very much the problem.....

I'm also already running a set of CRS approved H&R coilovers :)
Ha ha ha….no issue with any of those points!

Back