Tropic trip . Attempt no 2.

You are reminding me of a trip I did in around 1975 when I hired a Bay camper and drove from Brisbane down the New England Highway to the Bathurst / Orange area, turned right to Broken Hill then on to Peterborough and the Flinders ranges. Then back up to Brisbane via the Newell Highway.
BTW, VW van drivers waved to each other back then too!

Fabulous road trip Mick, great write up.
The Covid gods seem to be on your side this time. Stay safe and keep posting fella
:thumbsup:

BTW Your set up has given me an idea to put a Kador rail on my non-awning van side so I can have a flysheet for more shade.

Hi @kurienp , the birds are curloos or common name murder birds. If you could hear them at night calling to each other you would know why.
Sounds like Blue Murder that's for sure.
Well spotted that they are not kangaroos, I should wear my specs more often I reckon.

20210726_114716.jpg

Van set up in nice shady tropical caravan park,
Pictures of coast and Endevour River.
The big problem with swimming in Northern Australia is the waters have crocodiles all year round and deadly jellyfish in the wet season. 20210728_184554.jpg20210728_094314.jpg20210728_121429.jpg20210728_122124.jpg

Once again had to cut trip short due to covid19 outbreak in Cairns. We had a covid test (negative) and headed to Queensland/ Northern Territory border.
3 hours after crossing the border it closed so we just got through.
Drove down through NT remote camping for 2 days, crossed back into SA and had to get a covid test at Coober Pedy 750 km from home. Spent 1 more night camping then home.
Isolating at home for 14 days with covid tests on day 1 , 5 , 13 , if all negative we can leave isolation.
Took a week to drive home camping in isolation in the bush each night, 4000+ kms.
Pleased to report van ran perfectly for the entire time doing just under 10,000km, slept in van about 30 nights so all went well.
Still not a good time to go travelling as covid is still so unpredictable.
Had some great nights camped in some beautiful places which were all free camps so having the van saved a lot in accommodation costs.
When we left for the trip hardly any covid cases in Australia but now it's a mess again most borders closed.20210805_124734.jpg20210808_184824.jpg20210805_184014.jpg20210807_185723.jpg

Once again had to cut trip short due to covid19 outbreak in Cairns. We had a covid test (negative) and headed to Queensland/ Northern Territory border.
3 hours after crossing the border it closed so we just got through.
Drove down through NT remote camping for 2 days, crossed back into SA and had to get a covid test at Coober Pedy 750 km from home. Spent 1 more night camping then home.
Isolating at home for 14 days with covid tests on day 1 , 5 , 13 , if all negative we can leave isolation.
Took a week to drive home camping in isolation in the bush each night, 4000+ kms.
Pleased to report van ran perfectly for the entire time doing just under 10,000km, slept in van about 30 nights so all went well.
Still not a good time to go travelling as covid is still so unpredictable.
Had some great nights camped in some beautiful places which were all free camps so having the van saved a lot in accommodation costs.
When we left for the trip hardly any covid cases in Australia but now it's a mess again most borders closed.View attachment 127308View attachment 127309View attachment 127310View attachment 127311
Glad that you are back safe to your main location now. Reminds me of a time between the 1st and the 2nd wave last year, when we escaped to Portugal from the UK. A few days after return is when all hell breaks loose with borders close et al. Yeah, never know when al hell with break loose.

Glad that the van performed well and you had a wonderful trip. Thank you for sharing nice pics and taking us along. :thumbsup:

Thanks @AussieMick for your travel blog, always a great read. Glad you are now home safely....plenty of time to start planning your next trip?!...CV19 allowing!

Thanks for the read @AussieMick this has brought back a whole load of fond memorys for me.
I actually got the vanning bug from trips out to Australia, when we were last out there in march 2020 we drove across from Adelaide to Melbourne after a stop at kangaroo island. Just after the place had been decimated typically.
You've given me some more places to add to the list for when we eventually get back out there, love the idea of heading from south to north across the center.
Its funny how in the uk we complain about a 500km journey yet out there I found i didnt think twice about setting off on a 1000km journey to get where i wanted.
Long as theres a cold one at the end of the day, in general the drivings easy (wont mention the speeding fines last time around :laugh:)

Back