Transporting my kayaks.

stovi

Just wondering how hard it is to get a nearly 4m 30kg kayak on the roof (I'm 5"9" if that matters). Should I be looking at a proper kayak loader (kiratek etc) when I get my new 2 seater kayak?

Any chance someone not far from York has a tandem kayak they transport on the top of the van with regular bars so I could see it done?

Cheers,
Carl.

At 30kg I would definitely be looking at the karitec or similar.

I carry a 18ft surfski on mine on normal racks with RUK cradles but it is only 15kg and I can lift it easily above my head

image.jpeg.jpg

oops wrong pic:rofl:

right pic below:thumbsup:

View attachment 26385

Thanks Richi. Yeah I looked at the ruk side load too. If the karitek or similar work well for a tandem I'll look into it. Don't want it to be a faff every time and risk damaging the van or something else!

I have a 25kg Kayak and I wouldn't fancy trying to load-unload off the roof on my own. The beauty is mine does fit in the back so if I'm boating solo its not a problem. But a 30kg, you would need to be the Hulk to lift that onto the vans roof.

Most of mine are around 20-22kg. That's plenty for me when it's windy. Depends on your strength though I suppose. How easy do you find it to carry it overhead?

I don't have the kayak yet. I've tried similar a few times and they are a two person job to move around really.

From what's being said here and after watching someone putting one on the roof very carefully using a bucket to stop it sliding and towels on the roof to avoid scratching I'm thinking even if I could do it it would be no fun.

Karitek appear to be as expensive as the kayaks though!

I'm thinking if I get the rail mounted karitek (assuming they go on and off easy so I don't have to leave them on) they might be useful to carry other things (like a bike or another kayak eventually) up there. Will search the forum for karitek but anyone using them with opinions or tips appreciated.

My kayak is a 4.5m / 25kg sit on top.
I haven't risked trying to put it on my new van yet.
The hard bit is usually the return journey when your arms are tired. The manouvre can easily go wrong due to the length, which ends up with your body/forearms coming into contact with paintwork. This is a problem as there will be sand and grit coming off the kayak.
I'm considering a ladder roller and mounting from the back as a possible solution.
If there are 2 of you it should be okay though.

500 quid for the safest easiest way to load onto the van is putting me off a bit. I don't want to do my back in or hit something when lifting it after a few hours paddling. I will either just go for it or think about how soon the eldest (7) can go solo so we can get two smaller kayaks maybe.

The thule one on first look is interesting but seems weaker for the same money possibly.

Thanks.

The thule one on first look is interesting but seems weaker for the same money possibly

And it doesn't look like it will handle 2 or more kayaks like the Karitec does for down the line when you get 2 singles :thumbsup:

I was at the beach a few weeks ago and a couple had a small deep square trailer with an elevated cross bar on it .... if you get my drift. They came up from the beach and literally just stood the kayaks in the trailer resting against the bar and drove off - personally I would have thought a couple of bungee cords might have helped but they obviously knew what they were doing :D Looked so simple and easy though.

Hi all,
Can someone guide me towards what feet/racks/mounts I would need to get a sea kayak / canoe rack going on a westdubs pop top. I am getting a westdubs fitted in November (currently just have a vanilla roof with gutters) and would like to get ready for taking the boats out before winter kicks in.
I have commonly bought thule racks for my cars - are they compatible with t5s / pop tops ??

cheers
DC

If you have an installer booked for the roof I would ask them. If you do something different to their advice (get it in an email) you may forfeit the roof warranty.

When I messaged Westdubs they replied as below .. been looking for a similar solution.

Roof bars can be fitted , max weight 45-50kg.

We recommend Vermuse , Reimo and Grassroots Leisure.

I am new to the forum and have a 19 plate T6 with a pop top roof . I was wondering the best way to carry my kayaks on the van . I had an old T25 and they fitted inside but my new van doesnt have the same space. Please could anyone offer a solution for getting the kayaks on the van.
Thanks.

I'm thinking if I get the rail mounted karitek (assuming they go on and off easy so I don't have to leave them on) they might be useful to carry other things (like a bike or another kayak eventually) up there. Will search the forum for karitek but anyone using them with opinions or tips appreciated.
I use a Karitek rack on my pop top to carry our open canoe.
A5852E13-187D-41A7-B294-C998B2D01ACA.jpeg
67A93798-F37A-45BF-BB38-DA79EAAC3FD1.jpeg

I already had the Karitek rack that I used on roof bars on a previous car. To get it to work on the VW I had to buy roof rails (glued and bolted to the pop top) angle plates and new flat cross bars. All that was over £300!
The whole lot apart from the roof rails can unbolt and be removed when not required. The roof rails are lower than the solar cable housing, so make the van no higher.

I would recommend the Karitek if you can afford it. I can easily load a heavy (40kg) Old Town Discovery canoe on my own.

That set up looks great, we also have a Canadian canoe and sometimes use sit on tops, I’m up in the Lakes, if your ever in the area, I’d love to have a quick look at your set up, at the moment I’m fitting some rails and cross bars from Campervanparts.co.uk that bolt to the poptop, but won’t be able to put the big canoe up there, that will have to go on the car roof..
Cheers

View attachment 162424
View attachment 162423

I already had the Karitek rack that I used on roof bars on a previous car. To get it to work on the VW I had to buy roof rails (glued and bolted to the pop top) angle plates and new flat cross bars. All that was over £300!
The whole lot apart from the roof rails can unbolt and be removed when not required. The roof rails are lower than the solar cable housing, so make the van no higher.

I would recommend the Karitek if you can afford it. I can easily load a heavy (40kg) Old Town Discovery canoe on my own.

Back