Transporter For Camping!

Ginni1062

Hi all,

I have my first transporter T6 Kombi, i am trying to get ideas of what to do with the van for camping.

1) I don't want to pay £10k for a full conversion & 2) I have 3 young children, two of them twins aged 2 So I need the room in the van for double buggy etc as well as bike for other son and everything else we carry around in days out so don't want kitchen etc to be taking up alot of the room.

My thoughts are buying an outdoor revolution driveway awning that comes with a 4 berth insert and just buy some camping cooking equipment like a CADAC & JETBOIL. My other questions are what are my options for heating and electricity so I can wild camp or camp on a site and plug in.

Possibly I may go for pop top for extra bed space. My only worries are what do I need for electricity and heating?

I am sure you guys on here are all experienced in all this so all adviced is appreciated.

Cheers,
Ginni

Have a read in peoples build threads.

I've added a leisure battery/ charger and mains hook up. Link below .

Have a look at the Khyam drive away awnings. They are well rated on here, and are currently 50% off of their existing sale prices on their website.

I think a drive away awning for sleeping, and portable cooking equipment is your best bet.
A leisure battery will give you power options in the van and out into the awning.
Heating will obviously only work in the van, so won’t be of use to those in the awning when sleeping.

An awning could be a challenge when wild camping.

I would plan out how you will use it a bit more, then pick your solutions.

Pete

Have a look at the Khyam drive away awnings. They are well rated on here, and are currently 50% off of their existing sale prices on their website.
These look really good to be fair. Quite a few sold out or not many left. Which is a good sign I am definitely going to check these out!

I think a drive away awning for sleeping, and portable cooking equipment is your best bet.
A leisure battery will give you power options in the van and out into the awning.
Heating will obviously only work in the van, so won’t be of use to those in the awning when sleeping.

An awning could be a challenge when wild camping.

I would plan out how you will use it a bit more, then pick your solutions.

Pete
Thanks for the advice sounds good.

So would the heating not pump right through and into the awning?

PS. Wish i could get a full conversion for £10k :)
This is a quote I have received from somebody quite local to us:

Morning

QUOTATION for Swb 4 berth camper conversion

Fit colour coded skyline roof c/w scenic canvas upgrade
Roof bed on gas rams
( 25 canvas colours to choose from)
Light and usb

Rusty lee M1 tested rock n roll bed
bed retrimmed in matching upholstery to front

Windows fitted with black out curtains

Lightweight ply units
fitted with crx 50 fridge/freezer
Smev double hob/sink

Leisure battery with ctek smartcharge system
Led lighting + 12v sockets
240v hook up with charge system
240v sockets

New floor finished in Altro flooring

£9290

Thanks

Other extras you might want.

Diesel night heater. £800
Passenger swivel seat base £300

Any questions give us a shout
Thanks

Personally I wouldn’t touch outdoor revolution kit with a barge pole. We bought a Movelite II & it was a bag of sh1te.

Thanks for the advice sounds good.

So would the heating not pump right through and into the awning?

Yes, but all the heat would disappear straight out of the inevitable gaps in the canvas, and through the canvas walls.

Pete

Really all reviews and advice are very welcome
Bought it brand new, put it up, leaked like a sieve. Zips didn’t “zip”. Took it back to the dealer who implied I’d put it up incorrectly & insisted that their “expert” put it up to show me how it should be done. 2 hours later he threw his hands up & declared it unfit for purpose. I bought a Dorema which is a different beast altogether (and for sale incidentally)

hi ginni got a load of t5 mags you can look through give you some ideas of what can be done not to far from you if any use pm me I c

This is a quote I have received from somebody quite local to us:

Morning

QUOTATION for Swb 4 berth camper conversion

Fit colour coded skyline roof c/w scenic canvas upgrade
Roof bed on gas rams
( 25 canvas colours to choose from)
Light and usb

Rusty lee M1 tested rock n roll bed
bed retrimmed in matching upholstery to front

Windows fitted with black out curtains

Lightweight ply units
fitted with crx 50 fridge/freezer