Towbar Canbus Cable

MrG

VCDS User
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi All, so all the electrics are done but for the life of me i cant find where to get the PF-Jones Canbus Cables into the cab.

Apparently they are below the brake Master Cylinder, for the life of me i cant find the bung its refering to.
Had a bit of a search and it seems that this is the hardest bit, i dont suppose anyone has a photo of where this gromet is or how they ran the canbus cables from the module next to the battery, across the engine bay and into the cab?

Van is a 205 4motion if that makes any odds?

Cheers,

If you took the wipers and scuttle panel off, you have access to a bung under there.

At least that's where I popped my cruise and fog light wires through. There is a bung at both the nearside and offside

If you follow the cables from the starter battery you should find a cable route there behind the glovebox

If you follow the cables from the starter battery you should find a cable route there behind the glovebox

I did see that route (and the post as it goes) and did toy with the idea but didnt really want to pull the dash apart just yet, was hoping to use the route that is suggested / find out what everyone else has done for those canbus wires.

Screenshot 2023-09-18 163920.png

cant find that grommet from the top of the engine bay ☝

If you remove the scuttle panel and route along there, the grommet there will bring your wires out right at the module. Just make sure you have the wires tied down out the way of the wiper linkage

Reactions: MrG
I fitted a PF Jones towbar and cable so I know what you are looking for. It took me a while to find it, and even then I had to do everything by feel. You can never take enough photos and unfortunately I do not have any of this part, though I do have some of the connector and cable harness that you have to splice into. But that hole is a PITA to find and access. I think that in my case, there were no other cables going through it, so it was filled with a solid grommet. The PF Jones harness comes with e replacement grommet.

Reactions: MrG
Do you know what, I actually debated doing just that but thought I would see if I could (or if anyone else had) locate the grommet that is in the 'destructions' first.
Still may take that route as I'm indecided as to what is worse, the elements or the extreme temperatures under the hood?

Is it actually where it is in the pictures, I've got all the abs, AC, power steering hoses and the intake to the turbos in thein the way, I can't even get my hand to the firewall.

Did you go in from the top or whip the belly pan off and access it from under the van?

Is it actually where it is in the pictures, I've got all the abs, AC, power steering hoses and the intake to the turbos in thein the way, I can't even get my hand to the firewall.

Did you go in from the top or whip the belly pan off and access it from under the van?
From memory I accessed it from above by sliding my hand down the bulkhead and behind some foam/rubber insulation. I certainly didn’t access it from under the van. The grommet is below the top of that insulation so is hidden from view. Access might be slightly different on my van as it is a TSI, but I would have thought that the grommet is in the same place. Once found, it wasn’t as hard to remove and replace as I expected.
Good Luck.

quick update, cant find the one below the brake booster (not anywhere i can get my hand / arm to fit at least).

Thanks for the tip @Dundee_Kev, under the scuttle plate worked a treat! Didn't realise how close that come out to the plugs under the dash.

All in and working, now to code the thing!

Back