Tow car awards: Caravelle 199

Nande2000

IT Fixer
T6 Pro
Just thought it was interesting that the Caravelle LWB 199 FWD won the large tow car award in the 2021 Tow car awards. No 4motion ?

And discuss....

I haven't towed anything caravan sized with mine, but with a car on a trailer behind, I'd say it's just as good, if not better than my previous Amarok. The Amarok towed our old caravan well, but due to the shape of the pickup, there is disturbance in the air flow between the back of the cab and the front of the caravan. The van will punch a bigger hole in the air and have much smoother air flow over the caravan, making for a much more stable outfit.

I haven't towed anything caravan sized with mine, but with a car on a trailer behind, I'd say it's just as good, if not better than my previous Amarok. The Amarok towed our old caravan well, but due to the shape of the pickup, there is disturbance in the air flow between the back of the cab and the front of the caravan. The van will punch a bigger hole in the air and have much smoother air flow over the caravan, making for a much more stable outfit.

I've currently got a T-Reg which tows my 1575kg MPLM Caravan, swapping to a T6.1 150 DSG Kombi SWB in a few weeks. Was slightly nervous about the loss of torque (too tight to pay for the 199) and 4motion, but this award suggests it will be bang on. As I understand the Caravelle is 500kg heavier than my kombi and the caravan used to test the towing ability was 2000kg MPLM. No idea why the award went to the fwd vers though, surely the 4motion is even better ?

I too think there is a lot to be said for the van punching a bigger hole in the air. Though, as I am towing a twin axle, it is quite stable anyway

I don't find dragging around 2000kg behind my 150 DSG an issue. We are governed by lower speed limits when towing (well the Velle is anyway) and the DSG box takes care of long motorway inclines when required. Your new 6.1 might need a few more revs at times than the Touareg, but on the flat, you'll have the aero advantage that will even things out.

My only bugbear is reduced torque in reverse gear. Reversing up my drive, I have to give it a little bit extra to get over a lump. 9 times out of 10 this puts the trailers brakes on, meaning I have to roll forwards a bit to release them.

I don't find dragging around 2000kg behind my 150 DSG an issue. We are governed by lower speed limits when towing (well the Velle is anyway) and the DSG box takes care of long motorway inclines when required. Your new 6.1 might need a few more revs at times than the Touareg, but on the flat, you'll have the aero advantage that will even things out.

My only bugbear is reduced torque in reverse gear. Reversing up my drive, I have to give it a little bit extra to get over a lump. 9 times out of 10 this puts the trailers brakes on, meaning I have to roll forwards a bit to release them.

That's what motormovers are for :eek:)

Tbh the Touareg is overpowered, It would quite happily do over 100 with the Caravan in tow on the motorway. Even with 4motion it wheelspins in 1st gear !

Movers have their uses when it's really tight and you need eyes everywhere, but I've never been on a pitch that's needed one. Even my lad would get the caravan on it's pitch, bang on, first time at the age of 13. That got the 'neighbours' curtains twitching. :rofl:

Back