2wd ok for towing ?

jamesc979

hi everybody, i have ordered a new 6.1 fairly well specced 199 dsg 4 motion last april (21) and have just been told i wont get it until at least q1 23 ! question is i tow a 2000kg caravan a fair bit and have always had 4 motions but dealer has offered a good deal on a caravelle but its only fwd will it be ok ? whats your thoughts ? im worried about the grip in wet conditions or on grass etc.

thanks

No problems either , twin axle caravans + on my 3rd fwd transporter

hi everybody, i have ordered a new 6.1 fairly well specced 199 dsg 4 motion last april (21) and have just been told i wont get it until at least q1 23 ! question is i tow a 2000kg caravan a fair bit and have always had 4 motions but dealer has offered a good deal on a caravelle but its only fwd will it be ok ? whats your thoughts ? im worried about the grip in wet conditions or on grass etc.

thanks
Having had 9 different variations of T6, I would say the heaviest with least power was a 150 LWB Caravelle and it never had a problem. I used to tow alit into France and in all seasons. You never know you might even get hooked on the Caravelle and cancel your 4 motion :thumbsup:
535F56FF-1DD5-4C14-86C4-E11FC3DAB2FF.jpeg

Where will I find my sticker with towing capacity? I’ve only got the tyre pressure sticker on the drivers door shut. Cheers.

Where will I find my sticker with towing capacity? I’ve only got the tyre pressure sticker on the drivers door shut. Cheers.
Have a look at the V5 reg’ doc’ it states the maximum unbraked and braked towed loads

Mine (California) is also inside the passenger door by the hinge. (if you get stopped and weighed, the VOSA will want to see it)

Thanks. Definitely nothing there. Where might I get a new one?
I also have another one (although not complete) under the bonnet on the bulkhead by the brake servo. There will definitely be one on the vehicle somewhere.

Having had 9 different variations of T6, I would say the heaviest with least power was a 150 LWB Caravelle and it never had a problem. I used to tow alit into France and in all seasons. You never know you might even get hooked on the Caravelle and cancel your 4 motion :thumbsup:
Hi all, I'm currently looking to move to a T6 Kombi (probably a T30, 150 BHP manual) from a 530d xDrive Touring. I tow a twin axle caravan with a MTPLM of nearly 1825kg and wondered how the van would fare?

Eli, is you Coachman the 875?

Thanks in advance,

Hi all, I'm currently looking to move to a T6 Kombi (probably a T30, 150 BHP manual) from a 530d xDrive Touring. I tow a twin axle caravan with a MTPLM of nearly 1825kg and wondered how the van would fare?

Eli, is you Coachman the 875?

Thanks in advance,
Oh they were the good old days when I used to tow a wobble box ha ha. It was an 875, good piece of kit as well. No problems at all towing with the 2wd 150 Caravelle.

Oh they were the good old days when I used to tow a wobble box ha ha. It was an 875, good piece of kit as well. No problems at all towing with the 2wd 150 Caravelle.
I moved from a motorhome to a caravan towards the end of 2021 and wanted an 875, but the saleman said I'd need something like a Scania or a Volvo F10 to tow it :).

Just out of interest, did you have the DSG or the manual, as I've read quite a few posts on FaceBook about people burning clutches out on manual (cars) when reversing large caravans?

I moved from a motorhome to a caravan towards the end of 2021 and wanted an 875, but the saleman said I'd need something like a Scania or a Volvo F10 to tow it :).

Just out of interest, did you have the DSG or the manual, as I've read quite a few posts on FaceBook about people burning clutches out on manual (cars) when reversing large caravans?
A T6 will tow most caravans on the market - I tow a hoofing great big Elddis Crusader with mine!

8D606D75-806B-499D-9068-5C0A690FC992.jpeg

I tow a 2.5 tonne trailer frequently with a manual gearbox T6, no issues, but I don't ride the clutch, towing or not. I suspect those who burn out clutches aren't experienced at reversing a trailer and they ride the clutch to compensate for their lack of ability.

I tow a hoofing great twin-axle caravan (just shy of 2000kg, but probably more when loaded) with no issue.

Wet grass etc is more down to the tyre you use

View attachment 161994
Hi
Is your van standard hp. I valve a caravelle 150 hp 2021 6.1 and need it powerfully enough to tow a rain axle caravan. I normally use a range rover voguetdv8 so never had an issue . Do I need to get it mapped before I start towing.
Andy

Hi
Is your van standard hp. I valve a caravelle 150 hp 2021 6.1 and need it powerfully enough to tow a rain axle caravan. I normally use a range rover voguetdv8 so never had an issue . Do I need to get it mapped before I start towing.
Andy
No remap required! Of course you’ll notice the difference from the Range Rover and the four wheel drive, but you’ll be surprised how nicely it will tow. As ever when towing, just take it steady.

No remap required! Of course you’ll notice the difference from the Range Rover and the four wheel drive, but you’ll be surprised how nicely it will tow. As ever when towing, just take it steady.
Thanks for the reply .
I was concerned as when I have 5 people in the caravelle its so sluggish . That coupled with a large caravan it got me thinking . I'll give it a go and see how it gets on .
I had a 2.5 t5 and that towed fine .

Regards
Andy

Back