Top-dash cig-socket removal?

Goyt

All tips and hints gratefully received.
How in the big man up stairs name do you get the 12v socket out of the dash. My knuckles are red raw. I can see it, take photos of it. But can I get it out, NO.

15894567883623575056797850272670.jpg

15894568286433362787867308317696.jpg

I dont think you're alone in finding this difficult. I've not done it but I remember some threads on here about it being a pig of a job.

Have a search, failing that, somebody will be along soon with some advice.

I dont think you're alone in finding this difficult. I've not done it but I remember some threads on here about it being a pig of a job.

Thanks Lukavell, I can see what look like retaining latches, but when pushing the front one in with a driver it does not release it and I cannot get to the back one. Only trying to get it out as it has stopped giving 12v. Wanted to get a meter on the cables. May even swop it for a USB one if I can get it out.

VW have a special tool that goes in and presses 2 release tabs.

I've discovered my own version... =)

20200514_130951.jpg20200514_130738.jpg20200514_130736.jpg

But other solutions on the forum

Slight hijack - is the plug / loom it connects into present on all vans or only those specified with the socket ?

I have leisure battery..

So top one is under passenger bench

Slight hijack - is the plug / loom it connects into present on all vans or only those specified with the socket ?
The 3 cable from the bottom of the socket turn right and head behind the rev counter!! Not sure why as the fuse board is in the passenger foot well?

Nice trick. I'm having a go at that. Does the fuse for the socket you have your USB in fees the one at the top. As it doesn't in my van. @Loz says its sc40 in one of his posts but I don't have a fuse in that slot.
As @Dellmassive said there is an alternate fuse option under your passenger seat.
Top Dash fuse alt location.JPG

And

Top-dash-fuse-3rd location.png

If its similar to the one mounted on the lower dash, theres another block connector further along the wires. Which I only noted after 10mins of thinking "how the feck does this disconnect?" I then noted the block connector wrapped in a foam sock and thought "Doh! wharra chump".

If its similar to the one mounted on the lower dash, theres another block connector further along the wires. Which I only noted after 10mins of thinking "how the feck does this disconnect?" I then noted the block connector wrapped in a foam sock and thought "Doh! wharra chump".
Hi Bootsam, I took the cup holder out and took this photo behind the speedo. Are you saying its fused in there somewhere? I still cannot get the bloody thing out.

20200514_122528.jpg

Mine is a single also but RHD is your RHD?
Sorry to be a dip stick, mine is a right hand drive. I have a single non swivel seat and the passenger seat is also a non swivel single seat. Its a Kombi.

Hi Bootsam, I took the cup holder out and took this photo behind the speedo. Are you saying its fused in there somewhere? I still cannot get the bloody thing out.

View attachment 69738
the 3pin connector in in that bit of grey foam . . . . that will disconnect the short 6" wire from the plug . . . . . from that main loom.

20180511_142501.jpg

Last edited:
using the special VW tool . . . . . or:

something like this . . . . .

Porsche Volkswagen AUDI Cigarette Lighter Removal Tool T40148

1589482516271.png

Last edited:
using the special VW tool . . . . . or:

something like this . . . . .

Porsche Volkswagen AUDI Cigarette Lighter Removal Tool T40148

Awesome Dellmassive. Thats seems simple enough.

Thanks to all of the above comments and your time gents. I'll shall take all on board and let you know how I get on. Stay safe out there.

Back