To waterproof Pop Top or Not???

Camy

HGV driver
Hi am just back from a few days away first in a longtime:cool:.
Weather was pretty awful tho and after a horrendous day of wind and rain we noticed the 2 front corners of our pop top was leaking a little. It stayed damp for a day or so but eventually dried out.
My van is 2016 conversion the pop top seems to be thick canvas no one sleeps upstairs I only have roof up for my height :rolleyes:
My question is this something I have to live with or do I apply Fabsil or Nikwax waterproofing???
I've read other posts people sayin do/don't ??
Not going to the expense of a rap around at the moment either.
WATERPROOF or LEAVE ????????
Thanks

Hi am just back from a few days away first in a longtime:cool:.
Weather was pretty awful tho and after a horrendous day of wind and rain we noticed the 2 front corners of our pop top was leaking a little. It stayed damp for a day or so but eventually dried out.
My van is 2016 conversion the pop top seems to be thick canvas no one sleeps upstairs I only have roof up for my height :rolleyes:
My question is this something I have to live with or do I apply Fabsil or Nikwax waterproofing???
I've read other posts people sayin do/don't ??
Not going to the expense of a rap around at the moment either.
WATERPROOF or LEAVE ????????
Thanks
If it’s coming through stitching you can paint a silicone based sealer on. Note that it is visible.
I’ve tried Nikwax on clothing and wasn’t impressed at all. Make sure it wasn’t condensation before you take on the waterproofing

Hi.. firstly don’t have a Popup.. but waterproof/fabric protection..does a couple of things..Stops you getting wet. Keeps the fabric supple ..stops rot/insects and prolongs it’s use and can help with fabric fade..

I will brace myself now for people advising that it’s the wrong thing to do, but……I had a canvas tent that I treated with Thompson’s WaterSeal (yep, the stuff that’s used on bricks/walls) and I never had an issue. Soaked into the fabric, no stains, no stickiness and dried clear. You wouldn’t even know it had been treated. It stank like crazy when doing it much as Fabrisil or Nikwax does. However, it was significantly cheaper!

I will brace myself now for people advising that it’s the wrong thing to do, but……I had a canvas tent that I treated with Thompson’s WaterSeal (yep, the stuff that’s used on bricks/walls) and I never had an issue. Soaked into the fabric, no stains, no stickiness and dried clear. You wouldn’t even know it had been treated. It stank like crazy when doing it much as Fabrisil or Nikwax does. However, it was significantly cheaper!
It’s still basically a silicon sealer without additives and perfume….why not …:thumbsup:

Hi everyone as I thought different opinions from everyone.
It wasn't down any stitching it was both corners at bottom of pop top.
Surely they must be a official procedure to seal the material on the top pop ????
There's such a variations in what people say to do and have done .
Very confusing:thumbsdown:

Hi everyone as I thought different opinions from everyone.
It wasn't down any stitching it was both corners at bottom of pop top.
Surely they must be a official procedure to seal the material on the top pop ????
There's such a variations in what people say to do and have done .
Very confusing:thumbsdown:
That sounds more like condensation to me rather than a leak

Hi definitely wasn't condensation it was like 2 sections of poptop was made of different material and the rain just came through at the corners as I said

I'd treat myself to a tin of fabsil and a sprayer and get it sprayed libberally. - Avoid overspray on the van paintwork... maybe have an assistant follow behing with a wash cloth?

Sounds good to me:thumbsup:
Actually called Fabsil to ask and the chap was helpful he said about using Fabsil Gold .
So that's what am going go with
Thanks everyone for their help and input :cool:
Also think am going look at getting a pop top rap around but that's another question:rolleyes::)
Once again everyone says different things ?????:rolleyes:
Thanks

Sounds good to me:thumbsup:
Actually called Fabsil to ask and the chap was helpful he said about using Fabsil Gold .
So that's what am going go with
Thanks everyone for their help and input :cool:
Also think am going look at getting a pop top rap around but that's another question:rolleyes::)
Once again everyone says different things ?????:rolleyes:
Thanks
I fabsil mine and treated the seams with some tent seam sealer, can’t remember the sealer sorry but sure I got from amazon

Was it storm seal seam sealer. I’ve had a look but it says it dries like a pva coloured glue?
Just ordered fabsil gold, but was looking at the top product also.

I've never proofed my pop top (no need thus far) but some time this summer I'll be doing it with Fabsil which is something that I've used on synthetic tents for donkeys years. As somebody else pointed out, not only does it help to protect from water but it also has some anti UV properties as well. If anybody does use a seam sealer (ie. the stuff that comes in a tube) be careful not to do it when it's very hot as the stuff goes off quickly and is quite difficult to spread in those conditions. Also make sure that you clean the material properly before applying (isopropyl alcohol is good) and give it plenty of time to cure properly as if you don't bits will wind up sticking together once you fold the roof down and it will be a mess.

I tried fabsil on a small test patch of ours and it just didn’t take very well at all - just didn’t seem to soak in? Maybe it needs properly sponging in? I didn’t do that though, as our canvas is basically waterproof (as long as nothing is touching the inside) and I didn’t want to risk messing anything up.

@t0mb0. It depends on what your 'canvas' is actually made from. I've never used Fabsil on proper Cotton Canvas (or Polycotton) and I guess it might soak into it but if my synthetic roof 'canvas' (at least that's what I think it is) is anything to go by, it wouldn't (and I don't really remember Fabsil ever properly soaking into any synthetic tent materials either). I think the idea is that once dry, it puts a repellent surface over the top of the material that it's applied to. Once it's sprayed /painted on, it gets wiped over with a cloth or sponge and then left to dry.

@t0mb0. It depends on what your 'canvas' is actually made from. I've never used Fabsil on proper Cotton Canvas (or Polycotton) and I guess it might soak into it but if my synthetic roof 'canvas' (at least that's what I think it is) is anything to go by, it wouldn't (and I don't really remember Fabsil ever properly soaking into any synthetic tent materials either). I think the idea is that once dry, it puts a repellent surface over the top of the material that it's applied to. Once it's sprayed /painted on, it gets wiped over with a cloth or sponge and then left to dry.

Yeah, I think that might be it. Our canvas feels a lot more like cotton/polycotton than synthetic. Whatever it is, it has some natural repellency that means the fabsil doesn’t take to it very well.

Hi all,
I had a leak in the front corner of my pop top. When I investigated I found that the sealant around the bottom edge to the roof had a small gap where it didn't seal properly. I have resealed around the edge & had no further leaks. Worth just having a good close up look.
Thanks Dave

I had water seeping through the seems on one side of my pop top last year during horizontal wind and rain. In my opinion, this is inevitable with any treated single skinned material acting as a tent (unless properly waterproof!)

I use Fabsil on my pop top now and am pleased with the results, no visible lines/streaks etc and appears to have improved water repellency.

Back