Scenic pop-top seating (but no bed)

lebb2017

VIP Member
T6 Guru
hi all,
We have a pop top which is for head height - no bed board as we don't plan to use it for sleeping.
However, we did get a scenic canvas fitted, and wondered if anyone has any ideas for putting a small board across to act as a seat?
Any pics or links would be great as I'm sure I have seen something mentioned but my searches are not coming up with anything so far.
IMG_2179.jpeg

I suspect almost any piece of timber or ply (not MDF or chipboard) would do the job as long as it was strong enough - if it's only being supported on two sides, I would suggest that 18mm would be your start point but, personally, I'd go bit thicker to support my lardy 78Kg. On the bed board, we've got one in our roof and have never (and will never) use it to sleep on BUT wouldn't be without it. It takes no effort to put up and down and cuts out a lot of wind noise when on the move which would otherwise make its way into the cab. It's also a good place to screw a few small 'cargo nets' which are super useful for small bits and bobs that otherwise just turn into clutter (ie. personal stuff overnight, glasses, remotes, cables etc.).

Last edited:
I would put a bed board in as it's just a bit of ply, two gas struts, a pair of hinges and some stretch carpet then you've turned your van into a two bed holiday home with panoramic balcony.:thumbsup:

I suspect almost any piece of timber or ply (not MDF or chipboard) would do the job as long as it was strong enough - if it's only being supported on two sides, I would suggest that 18mm would be your start point but, personally, I'd go bit thicker to support my lardy 78Kg. On the bed board, we've got one in our roof and have never (and will never) use out to sleep on BUT wouldn't be without it. It takes no effort to put up and down and cuts out a lot of wind noise which would otherwise make its way into the cab. It's also a good place to screw a few small 'cargo nets' which are super useful for small bits and bobs that otherwise just turn into clutter (ie. personal stuff overnight, glasses, remotes, cables etc.).
On what planet is 78kg lardy! :rofl:

We have a panoramic roof, and I wasn’t sure how much I would bother fully opening it. Then we had a very sunny day at Llangollen, and daughter was very happy using the bed as a sun deck.

So yes, you can use a bit of 18mm ply, I would advise a rib across it to stiffen it where you climb on.

Advantage of not having lift up bed is more headroom with poptop closed.

IMG_2628.jpeg

Thanks for the replies all :)

Looks like I may as well get a bed board fitted, although I'm not keen on paying loads - tightwad/cheapskate over here.

Struts I've seen for about £40, I already have plenty of leftover carpet, and I expect I'll be able to get the ply from my brothers workshop which will be free.
So that just leaves just assembling it. I'll have a search on youtube for some info on how that works.

If you are doing DIY, for the price of some piano hinges, end fittings from your strut supplier, and some rods from B&Q, you could do a bifold bed. It takes a bit more head scratching and a long piece of string to get the geometry, but you get so much more headroom at the back I think it is worth it. My old van had a flat board on, new one I did a bifold.

If you are doing DIY, for the price of some piano hinges, end fittings from your strut supplier, and some rods from B&Q, you could do a bifold bed. It takes a bit more head scratching and a long piece of string to get the geometry, but you get so much more headroom at the back I think it is worth it. My old van had a flat board on, new one I did a bifold.
I had already looked at your build and the pics from when you did this (looks awesome BTW) - but it did look a bit complex for me... I'm currently watching a video of a review comparing bi-fold / single fold

I'll also see what my helpers (husband & brother) think!

The back part of a bifold is the same amount of geometry and bits as a regular bed, just shorter. The front part, you need to make the struts, which involves tapping a thread on a rod (cheap eBay die set will do as you are only using it for four threads), and a piece of string.

With the string, you can work out by trial and error where the strut mounts go. Pin the string to the back hinge, then on to the bed where the front strut mount will be. Open the bed, and pull the loop of string you have tight down to where the lower strut mount will be on the van. This gives the strut mount positions, and the length of the strut. There is no unique solution, so you can try several shapes to see what is best. The only constraint is to make sure the string is tight when the bed is down, and when it is up.

So distance ABC (hinge to bed strut mount when bed flat) has to equal ADC (hinge to roof strut mount to bed strut mount).

When fitting, put the roof mount D on before bed mount C, then you can check again with the string and move C a bit if required.

IMG_4020.jpeg

@lebb2017 as you have U shaped seating you will find the extra headroom towards the back of van afforded by the bifold to be invaluable. We stood in vans with and without it and it was a no brainer to include it for us when planning our build

@lebb2017 as you have U shaped seating you will find the extra headroom towards the back of van afforded by the bifold to be invaluable. We stood in vans with and without it and it was a no brainer to include it for us when planning our build
Hmm thats good to know!
I'll keep my mind open for my options. I'm possibly erring back to my initial plan to just put a 2 inch thick carpeted plank for a seat which is basically free to do, and then see how it works in the summer.
If it's not up to the job, I can think again about the bi fold bed option. We didn't actually use the scenic canvas last year so might end up a waste of effort! :D

I would think for safety reasons a full bed board is better.

If you have a flat seat to the front of the opening, you would fall onto the top of the van if you fell forwards, but what is to stop you falling backwards?

I would think for safety reasons a full bed board is better.

If you have a flat seat to the front of the opening, you would fall onto the top of the van if you fell forwards, but what is to stop you falling backwards?
I hadn't even considered falling backwards!

• Haha
Reactions: CAB
I'm just not sure just how comfortable the 'plank' would be after a bit of time - at least with the bed board you can shift around and change position entirely. If you do go plank, IMHO 50mm is a bit over the top.

Back