Tiny fuel tank and parcel shelf

Paul Milham

Hi all,

Still deep into an affair with my T6 204 DSG, but the tank seems to have shrunk from 80 to 60 litres and I have to fill up nearly every other day.
I've noticed that theirs now a factory option to fit a larger tank and have asked for a price if it's still an option for then to do, but it's only been two weeks so I shouldn't rush him for an answer.
Anyone else been caught out by this and converted to the larger tank?
Also...
This may sound daft but does anyone do a parcel shelf type system that fits a Kombi?
I'd like something removable that sits between the rear seats and my tailgate, just below the line of the rear screen.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi @Paul Milham I have seen this rear shelf that celtic motor homes have done , I though it was a good idea
FB_IMG_1480404262669.jpg
There are some more shots of the combi on there Facebook page .

Are you sure it's only 60 litres? Our T5.1 had an 80 litre tank, our T6 has a 70 litre one but it's much better on fuel so lasts longer!

Euro 5 = 80 litre
Euro 6 = 70 litre fuel + 10 litre adblue (with 80 litre as an option at additional cost)
So upgrading (if possible) will only get you an additional 10 litres

Euro 6 has 70 litre as standard. If you rely on RANGE gauge, this will display 0 miles left after 60 litres used in my experience- i.e, still 10 litres left in reserve

Regarding the fuel tank, i feel for you if you do a lot of miles. I've had two previous T5's with 80 litre fuel tanks, and despite the marginal improvement in fuel economy with the T6, the range was always going to be reduced with a 70 litre tank. I noticed the larger tank option after i'd ordered mine, but got it added to the order.
Vw had to accommodate 13 litres of adblue, but why they reduced the tank size, and then give an option for the bigger one i'm not sure. Maybe it was to maintain the payload for the official figures, or marginally improved economy by carrying less weight?

AdBlue is a non-toxic liquid that’s colourless in appearance and is a solution of water and urea. To comply with Euro 6, recent diesel-powered cars use SCR technology to inject microscopic quantities of this liquid into the flow of exhaust gases. When the urea and water solution combines with exhaust emissions, it produces nitrogen and oxygen – harmless gases that occur naturally in the environment – by breaking down mono-nitrogen oxides.

I've just swapped a 3 litre V6 auto Touareg with a 100 litre tank for a 140 euro5 T6 manual with an 80 litre tank. Not sure yet whether my range will be affected or by how much. I used to get around 650 miles from a tank in the Touareg.

Got a fair few litres of adblue in my shed, cos I had an A6 with euro 6 engine that needed it, but my T6 is a euro 5 that doesn't. I also have the adaptor from the 10/20l container to the vehicle. If anyone has the euro 6 engine in the midlands and wants to take about 15l of adblue and adaptor off my hands then PM me.

We currently have 2 diesel vehicles- a 2016 Mini 2.0D (no adblue required, not sure whether Euro 5 or 6) that doesn't seem to need to go through the same DPF regen cycle that the van does and the Euro 6 150 Kombi. I think these will be the last 2 diesel vehicles we will purchase. It is obvious that diesel's days are now numbered, certainly for cars anyway as the systems and restrictions being applied to meet the emissions regulations are becoming increasingly complex and I can see them becoming taxed heavily over the next few years.

We currently have 2 diesel vehicles- a 2016 Mini 2.0D (no adblue required, not sure whether Euro 5 or 6) that doesn't seem to need to go through the same DPF regen cycle that the van does and the Euro 6 150 Kombi. I think these will be the last 2 diesel vehicles we will purchase. It is obvious that diesel's days are now numbered, certainly for cars anyway as the systems and restrictions being applied to meet the emissions regulations are becoming increasingly complex and I can see them becoming taxed heavily over the next few years.
Similar thoughts here; in fact after our PITA 2012 180, I had dismissed diesel for good but I was convinced the Euro 6 engines were different enough but I'd certainly prefer the 204 petrol.
Our other two cars are petrol too; no worrying about short journeys of emissions strangling nonsense. Happy for a few mpg less for the lack of hassle plus petrols are much nicer to drive.

Well my petrol golf in the picture doesn't comply with any emissions, that's why they nail me £130 for 6 months tax and at only 500 miles between mot's I may as well throw 50p out of the window every mile:mad:

Old skool though; our 122bhp Defender 110 was almost £500 a year on RFL!!

I think our BM is a nadge over £200 which is pretty good for the power. Doesn't make it any good in snow though...

I think the 204 diesel is pretty good but it makes such a bloody fuss when you do short journeys then stop; fans go mad, floor gets hot and hot air flies out of the underside, smells odd, etc.

The worst a petrol will do is a quick fan then make a bit of a ticking noise.

Last edited:
Back