Underslung Water Tank advice / guidance

smilie121

VCDS User
T6 Pro
Hi everyone

I am thinking of purchasing this 60 litre watertank ....... along with this fixing kit ....... I would prefer this kind of inlet

Additionally a shureflo pump and shower head from the same site. My intention is to to install the water inlet by the side of the 240v hookup as there is a void.

Am I right in guessing its just a need of negotiating my way down through the insulation behind the wheel arch cover / heatshield where I can route to the underslung tank?

Has anyone done this or have any advice? Here is a picture of the 240v hookup

20210331_124750.jpg

Almost the same setup on my van. Same tank and inlet. Be aware that where your looking at cutting if on the left of the inlet there is a 2nd internal skin and the hole there needs to be larger to get the pipe work over the external fitting. The inside will only be a partial cut so not fully supported. I holesawed through the two layers and then had to cut additional material away internally to allow the pipe to fit. It might be worth in your case cutting a hole above the existing one and then putting your electrical socket in the upper one and the water in the lower or fitting a hose lock type fitting under the rear bumper to fill. Take your internal panel off first though to what suits best

There are ways to fill a water tank other than cutting holes in your van. It is possible to fill below tank level using a check valve on the filling line as you would normally fill using a pressurised hose from a tap. The filling point could then be under the bumper or another location without chopping into panels.
The same goes for the EHU.

@ DXX

I thought of this but we will be wild camping as well as being on sites. The 3 sites we were at last year only had a tap and 2 you couldn't even get the van near. So we used a collapsible water container. and walked back n for. I was thinking of maybe going up into the engine bay. Would save my a lot of grief. Anyone done this?

This morning I saw some people post pictures of the clearance regarding the large nut. Its raised concerns as sometimes I have driven on dirt roads.

@ DXX

I thought of this but we will be wild camping as well as being on sites. The 3 sites we were at last year only had a tap and 2 you couldn't even get the van near. So we used a collapsible water container. and walked back n for. I was thinking of maybe going up into the engine bay. Would save my a lot of grief. Anyone done this?

This morning I saw some people post pictures of the clearance regarding the large nut. Its raised concerns as sometimes I have driven on dirt roads.
You can still fill on a filling line under the bumper below the tank using a portable can.
For pressure filling you have a filling line with a non return (check) valve as previously discussed.
For filling from a portable can etc you have a T piece in the pressure filling line after the non return valve with a simple isolating valve on it.
When I fill with a portable can I put the full water can on the top of the open sliding door and use a short hose to connect to the T piece and open the valve. You can still fill through the non-return valve with the portable can but it takes longer due to the non return valve restriction and spring load.

I have stock T32 running gear and have plenty of ground clearance, if you’ve lowered your van you’re not in a good situation as occasionally you need to slide under and drop the water and any contamination out of the said drain cap.

@DXX

Thanks for this info - I was contemplating other 70 litre tanks and Autocraft do not have fitting kits anymore. I will give this some thought as not only would it be quicker installing but look neater on the side

Mine is a T32 and hasn't been lowered and never will as long as I own it

@DXX

Do you have any pictures? Looking for validation for what I am thinking ..... along the lines of a regular hose connector which has a valve in place and between it and tank, a T piece as you said with another garden hose type socket where I can connect a hose for filling with a can

@DXX

Do you have any pictures? Looking for validation for what I am thinking ..... along the lines of a regular hose connector which has a valve in place and between it and tank, a T piece as you said with another garden hose type socket where I can connect a hose for filling with a can
The van isn’t with me at the moment.

I have decided to get this tank instead - a 69 litre due to the big nut sticking down.

Along with a shureflo pump, filter and external shower - and one of those tailgate tents.

Whilst I like @DXX suggestion of a 12mm water inlet with non return valve, this is going to wind me up when filling up out and about.

So I am thinking 2 options unless someone can suggest better. I saw someone put their water inlet in their engine bay but I also can see a route behind my kitchen in the van if looking in from the window.

For the engine bay I could fit either side. Naturally I would need to use some heat wrap around the pipe but was thinking I could implement a bracket that allows the hose to "swing out" of the engine area to lessen the chances of water splash.

For the kitchen route - just means I need to open the window by the sink and reach in to pull out the pipe. I already have a vent so running a convoluted pipe is not going to be a hardship.

Thoughts?

I found this on you tube

Video - particularly 18.00 minutes onwards. The hole is cut for a diesel heater but thinking I could cut the same for the water inlet - would look better? - it would be better than drilling down the way

Here's a screenshot - credit to the youtube author.

aa-water.jpg

@airhoguk

cheers - i have seen those and like Dave's side step install as it would be above.

I think I will sleep on it and change my mind! o_O

I have decided to get this tank instead - a 69 litre due to the big nut sticking down.

Along with a shureflo pump, filter and external shower - and one of those tailgate tents.

Whilst I like @DXX suggestion of a 12mm water inlet with non return valve, this is going to wind me up when filling up out and about.

So I am thinking 2 options unless someone can suggest better. I saw someone put their water inlet in their engine bay but I also can see a route behind my kitchen in the van if looking in from the window.

For the engine bay I could fit either side. Naturally I would need to use some heat wrap around the pipe but was thinking I could implement a bracket that allows the hose to "swing out" of the engine area to lessen the chances of water splash.

For the kitchen route - just means I need to open the window by the sink and reach in to pull out the pipe. I already have a vent so running a convoluted pipe is not going to be a hardship.

Thoughts?
I would avoid opening the sliding windows more than you need to, especially the one above the furniture.
If you use a hose make sure it’s not clear or you may get algae growing. Personally I would keep the route as short as possible.
My tank fills in less than 2 minutes with approx 12mm fill line, NRV and typical mains water pressure.

@DXX

Yeah - I have already decided against going behind the kitchen and out the window.

I still like your idea as its no doubt the easiest for me and more discreet. I appreciate the fill via a garden tap would be quick, but I can see me filling or topping up via the water bladder thingy. How is the fill time off the step?

And have you got the van back for a photo?

It tak
@DXX

Yeah - I have already decided against going behind the kitchen and out the window.

I still like your idea as its no doubt the easiest for me and more discreet. I appreciate the fill via a garden tap would be quick, but I can see me filling or topping up via the water bladder thingy. How is the fill time off the step?

And have you got the van back for a photo?
It takes longer with the header tank method, the higher you put the portable tank relative to the water tank the faster it is. I fill off the top of the open sliding door not the step. 10m difference will give 1 bar of pressure so a 1.5m difference is 0.15bar about 2.2psi, enough to cause a flow providing both tanks are vented to air or the bladder is collapsible.
I have a set of tap adapters that will allow me to connect a hose to pretty much any outlet so I don’t use a portable can very often. If you don’t have one already I recommend a potable water layflat hose on a reel, it hardly takes up any space.
No the van isn’t here.

Last edited:
I have seen layflat hoses and of course with all the connectors including the "kitchen tap" one where it clamps on to any tap to give you a hose, provides a variety of methods for filling up.

I take it you just use a strap with the bladder to hang off the door?

I have seen layflat hoses and of course with all the connectors including the "kitchen tap" one where it clamps on to any tap to give you a hose, provides a variety of methods for filling up.

I take it you just use a strap with the bladder to hang off the door?
I have a rigid polythene can which sits on top of the open sliding door and leans on the roof. Otherwise it could be put on the roof if reachable, my Reimo roof is too high for me to comfortably reach.
Also possible to put a small 12v pump or hand pump in to speed filling up.

I understand

Will try your way first as I can always add a 40mm hose later. (And its less work and time is short for me at the moment).

As you said a collapsible can will create pressure if squeezed, shortening filling times. It may even create enough force to negate the need a T piece and additional filling point. Will try this first as well.

Thanks for the help

Thoughts?
Did you decide on how you would fit the filler? Looking at retro installing the same tank.

Yes I have made a piece which will tuck under the van - when I get round to fitting it all I will do upload a post of what and how i did it

Back