Tickover noise

Thanks. (Un)fortunately I never had any BL car experience. I tried to attach an audio sample of one known "symptom" of T6 engines but only pictures were allowed :(. I'll check embedding later, perhaps tomorrow... if of interest.

Anyways, there is a new service note (published late September) which applies to 150ps and 204ps engines and matches among other things also what I tried to describe above about the noise and could imagine might match also yours. So worth checking, I believe.

I had my van inspected and measured according to the service note and it was a match = my van failed at the measurement :confused:. Now the van is waiting (but still running) for a load of new parts o_O - no software involved. I'm actually hopeful that this even might be the root cause for several other issues, and the noise was just tip of iceberg. The parts have been on order already two weeks, and are scheduled to arrive 6th of November.
@mmi do you have details of this service note? Is there a name or reference number to give the dealer to ask them to check?

It's like when you go to dentist with tooth ache it stops when you arrive for your appointment, I've had the van back and made official complaint to VW they reckoned they couldn't hear it even when I played recording to them, I'm going to try new dealership I think

@mmi do you have details of this service note? Is there a name or reference number to give the dealer to ask them to check?
@CaliStu, At the moment I do not have the identifier. Anyways - it was “published” up here late September and it was found by vehicle’s VIN – I have been told that’s the way it works. So, I would imagine your dealer should not have any difficulties to find it – if applicable to yours. Mine is 150PS (CXFA), build date Nov-2015

Keyword in my case was “loud knocking metallic noise of engine”. Actually the dealer has quite some time been scanning their system for anything that is applicable to my van. The main suspect of this note is fuel injector. A lengthy process though. Before the measurement I had to drive at a full tank with VW fuel additive.

Anyways, need to get this repaired and then verified by driving a tankful or two to see how the things are then.

PS. Still replacement parts for the repair are not available – the delivery has now been postponed to the end of November. So forum has to wait for full report till end of year. Stay tuned!

Thanks will do, going to take it to different dealership, thinking of Hull
Out of curiosity I had a look on other forums for similar issues and the operation of the 7 speed DSG is interesting to say the least. When you took that recording, was your foot on the brake or was the handbrake applied?

Normally would be foot brake in stop start traffic, for the recording the hand break while I hung out window to record it,

As the system uses a dry clutch (pair of) rather than a torque converter you are effectively riding the clutch if you let it crawl in traffic although 1st is geared very low to help compensate for this. I've read some reports that this can overheat the clutch and make it a bit grabby. Your dealer needs to investigate the noise but for me it is one of two things - hydraulic system noise or the friction material grabbing the flywheel.

The reason I asked about service brake (foot) vs parking brake (hand) is that it was commented that applying the service brake disengages the clutch fully where as the parking brake still has the clutch partially engaged, ready to be driven away.

Disclaimer - this is what I've read on other forums and seen in service literature online. I can't verify the accuracy of this information.

This is my understanding of it also so i would agree
I have tried it and if you leave it in D and have your foot on the brake the van sits still but if you put the handbrake on and take your foot of the brake pedal in D the rear squats and van tries to pull forwards

As the system uses a dry clutch (pair of) rather than a torque converter you are effectively riding the clutch if you let it crawl in traffic although 1st is geared very low to help compensate for this. I've read some reports that this can overheat the clutch and make it a bit grabby. Your dealer needs to investigate the noise but for me it is one of two things - hydraulic system noise or the friction material grabbing the flywheel.

The reason I asked about service brake (foot) vs parking brake (hand) is that it was commented that applying the service brake disengages the clutch fully where as the parking brake still has the clutch partially engaged, ready to be driven away.

Disclaimer - this is what I've read on other forums and seen in service literature online. I can't verify the accuracy of this information.
Thanks that's brilliant and we'll informed, I've been out and about a lot this weekend and it hasn't made the noise once, given what you've told me I can hopefully get the dealership to investigate in more detail, I'm suspecting the fly wheel grabbing, thanks for everyone's help

Mines the same but have a load more faults also... main one failing to start. Sad but i have even made a video. Have asked to hand back? don't want to but it runs and drives worse than my old t5 with 147k. has anyone got experience on handing back? the prices they have offered me back would mean a 12-14k loss in a year.... had the issues since day one, my profile pic is day 3 of owning.

If you have a catalogue of failings you shoud formally regect it in writing to the dealer principal and also open a case with vwcs and demand a replacement.

In the process, just not sure i could cope with issues again ( even thinking of getting a M sport Transit? ) if i could post the video, it would show my frustration! My t5 2.5 was even more reliable!

In the process, just not sure i could cope with issues again ( even thinking of getting a M sport Transit? ) if i could post the video, it would show my frustration! My t5 2.5 was even more reliable!
VW customer service waste of space, very polite young lady but not a clue... if your really not happy try the supply of goods act, it changed in 2015 to the consumer benefit, my understanding is the product must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose if your vehicle keeps breaking down and you have miscellaneous problems when it then obviously it's not

Mines got rattling on tickover , spoke to a technitian at Stoke he told me it's a tolerence in the gearbox , I said don't you mean an intolerance, he also told me vw tech told them to speed up the manuals by 200 rpm no use to me mines a 7 speed DSG great .

Me too , next van will be ms-rt custom,

I've had some crackers from main dealer in the last week or so,

• Tick over noise and knocking - its normal for for that age van with that millage 66 with 19000. (why does the loan van (Exact model) do it? something must of been changed)
  • Random Starting issue - 1st go it was the fuel filter 2nd go now it was the diesel pressure sensor. ( FairPlay now they have nailed it! its gone from random to at least 3 times a day )
  • Real doggy change clunk crunch into second and 1st very stiff - Normal for that year (why does the loan van (Exact model) do it? something must of been changed like a linkage design or something)
Its so bad its almost funny, people look for FVWMD service history when buying second hand!
Does anyone know if its standard practice across all VW dealers to give no paperwork at all with work / repairs completed?

Courtesy van again tomorrow, they had it a week last time and fixed it. :thumbsdown: 3rd of next month will be a full year of misery, since first breakdown / recovery was on the 5th 2 days after purchase.
Wonder what colour they will turn when i reveal all calls have been recorded with a great little app....:)

• Tick over noise and knocking - its normal for for that age van with that millage 66 with 19000. (why does the loan van (Exact model) do it? something must of been changed)
  • Random Starting issue - 1st go it was the fuel filter 2nd go now it was the diesel pressure sensor. ( FairPlay now they have nailed it! its gone from random to at least 3 times a day )
The two first issues listed could match with Injector failure
Up here the referenced test is one of the first to rule out things... It's only about 90 minute job.

Last edited:
Just really disappointed with it all, lid went yesterday and have now contacted VWFS and said I want out! :(

Last edited by a moderator:

• Real doggy change clunk crunch into second and 1st very stiff - Normal for that year (why does the loan van (Exact model) do it? something must of been changed like a linkage design or something)
Its so bad its almost funny, people look for FVWMD service history when buying second hand!
Does anyone know if its standard practice across all VW dealers to give no paperwork at all with work / repairs completed?

Courtesy van again tomorrow, they had it a week last time and fixed it. :thumbsdown: 3rd of next month will be a full year of misery, since first breakdown / recovery was on the 5th 2 days after purchase.
Wonder what colour they will turn when i reveal all calls have been recorded with a great little app....:)
Yep no paperwork, I had a replacement engine under warranty and got told they documented it in the system and no I could not have a paper copy, I did manage to see the van record on the screen but the service manager wasn’t supposed to let me see.....

Back