Tickover noise

@mmi listening to the first file I would say cam follower or cam on injector..

Last edited:
Pretty sure it's not tappet, started again the other day took it to my local garage the mechanic's thought it was from the drivers side and to the lower rear of the engine, as usual it stopped as they started to investigate, it's on tick over, in drive, then for no reason stops

I wonder if anything else (other than the valves) drive off the cam. On T4's the vacuum pump for the brake servo (i think, it was a long time ago) ran off one of the cam lobes. When they started playing up it caused an intermittent tappet type rattle. Pumping the brake pedal used to influence the noise.

I wonder if anything else (other than the valves) drive off the cam. On T4's the vacuum pump for the brake servo (i think, it was a long time ago) ran off one of the cam lobes. When they started playing up it caused an intermittent tappet type rattle. Pumping the brake pedal used to influence the noise.
Check out the down load just put on forum, what do you think

Actually two different cases in this thread. The sound clips above are from my engine. @AndyAK66's engine noise is something else, and it is the one fading when in neutral - perhaps he could post his sound clip, too.

You are right, it sounds like valve tappet, which was my initial thought, or fuel burning incorrectly as Ed Webb suggested. It has been rare event but I'm hopeful VW has finally found the solution - their next action on my engine is on the latter option. The replacement parts are scheduled to be available on Nov-06. I'll keep the forum informed.
Managed to get the clip uploaded have a listen what are your thought,

Would explain the noise disappearing when I select neutral, it's getting the dealership to take an interest

It slowly disappears as soon as I select neutral on the DSG, comes back in when I select drive,

It slowly disappears as soon as I select neutral on the DSG, comes back in when I select drive,
It does sound a bit bearing like, perhaps one of the gear rails as the it will select a gear as soon as you put it in drive ready to drive off. Or maybe one of the clutches?

If its that loud surely you just drive to the dealer and show them and get it done under warranty?

Back