Thule VeloSpace XT 3 Or Atera STRADA DL 3 - bike rack

For those who are looking at the crazy prices and like me die inside a little, I’ve just ordered one off Halfords who give ex-forces discount, I have my discount card from Defence Discount Service

For those who are ex-squadies you get 9% off which makes the VeloSpace XT 3 £563.28 ( £55.71 off) including vat delivered to the store.

Better than a kick in the old you know what!

I am not sure if the discount code is linked to my account as it’s pretty unique looking and generated on request to paste out here to the world.

Anyway hope this helps! If they do it for defence discount they might do it for NHS?

I used my Defence Discount Card and they want to see the code in the app when you collect the rack. I'm happy to go to store with anyone who wants to do it locally to Leicester.

I bought my bike rack using the Defence Discount Card a couple of years ago. I bought it click and collect but you can’t get the discount on line so I went into the store to collect it, immediately got a refund and then paid again at ‘on line only’ price with the extra defence discount. IIRC it wound up about £150 less than I could find anywhere else. I didn’t have to show the actual card (or any other id) but they did scan the bar code on the app in my phone. It was 10% off.

Last edited:
I used my Defence Discount Card and they want to see the code in the app when you collect the rack. I'm happy to go to store with anyone who wants to do it locally to Leicester.
Good to note! I’ll have to see where the code got sent I think it’s in my emails!

Likewise happy to do the same for any one local in Shropshire area.

Sorry if I should post this elsewhere.

I’ve bought an xt3 velospace and have just had towbar expresss install the towbar at on my 2021 t6.1 with relevant 13 pin coding etc (cost over a grand).

I’ve tried the xt3 and while power appears to be going to the lights, they don’t do anything when the indicators or break are activated (not tried reverse yet).

I’m trying to take it up with towbar express but just wondered if I’m missing something obvious.

Thule say it is 13 pin whereas it’s technically 8 pins with 5 stumps. I assume that’s normal.

I might be being thick here but any comments most welcome as after around a £1700 outlay this is more than a little alarming.

Mark

I'd be alarmed too - I guess you've been unable to check with another vehicle that the Thule is actually ok? Or indeed that the vehicle has been wired / coded correctly, and works? Our van has factory-fit towbar and wiring, 13 pin socket. The AS DL3 bike rack we have has a "13 pin plug", but like yours, only physically has 8 pins.

Thanks Mike,

Unfortunately I don’t have any other vehicle to rule out the Thule. Must be a pretty slim chance of a faulty brand new Thule but not impossible obviously.

Thanks for confirming the 8 pin thing.

Hoping to get a response back from towbar express. Kicking myself that I didn’t test it while they were here this morning (although I’m supposed to be working haha)

I will be changing my Atera DL3 soon, so I will be looking for a VW OEM 3 bike rack
Was there any overriding reasoning for your decision to change from Altera to VW OEM? Looking at same decision process at present. Don’t you have more effort to lift bikes higher for VW rack?

Sorry if I should post this elsewhere.

I’ve bought an xt3 velospace and have just had towbar expresss install the towbar at on my 2021 t6.1 with relevant 13 pin coding etc (cost over a grand).

I’ve tried the xt3 and while power appears to be going to the lights, they don’t do anything when the indicators or break are activated (not tried reverse yet).

I’m trying to take it up with towbar express but just wondered if I’m missing something obvious.

Thule say it is 13 pin whereas it’s technically 8 pins with 5 stumps. I assume that’s normal.

I might be being thick here but any comments most welcome as after around a £1700 outlay this is more than a little alarming.

Mark
Sounds like it may be a wiring issue on the towbar.
I’ve just purchased a Thule XT3 with 4th bike option as well but have a factory fitted tow bar and everything works as expected
only issue I faced was my own doing in not reading the manual and not puting the safety release cable on the 2nd notch to allow the tailgate to fully drop open with all 4 bikes still attached

I’ve just purchased a Thule XT3 with 4th bike option as well but have a factory fitted tow bar and everything works as expected
only issue I faced was my own doing in not reading the manual and not puting the safety release cable on the 2nd notch to allow the tailgate to fully drop open with all 4 bikes still attached
Thanks mate.

Ha, I did the same re the 2nd notch. Only noticed there was a way to sort it from this forum!

HelloRS6+ I had a Velospace XT3 and it wouldn't allow the (T6) tailgate to open - I thought it was a towbar neck issue on my Westfalia removeable but I may have been a numpty and got it wrong. I tried and tried but couldn't get it to work and sold it. What tow bar do you have please?

HelloRS6+ I had a Velospace XT3 and it wouldn't allow the (T6) tailgate to open - I thought it was a towbar neck issue on my Westfalia removeable but I may have been a numpty and got it wrong. I tried and tried but couldn't get it to work and sold it. What tow bar do you have please?
I have the westfalia removable on mine and no issues with the XT3 on the second cable notch
IMG_3810.jpeg

AHHRG. Maybe it was the cable notch I didn't alter; I remember feeling like I needed to alter the angle of the socket on the ball a tiny bit but couldn't.
Thank you very much for your reply... That photograph answers another question "are both racks possible?" BRILLIANT

AHHRG. Maybe it was the cable notch I didn't alter; I remember feeling like I needed to alter the angle of the socket on the ball a tiny bit but couldn't.
Thank you very much for your reply... That photograph answers another question "are both racks possible?" BRILLIANT
Both racks are possible, but you can only use the lower rack for 20" wheel bikes.... or other non-bike items

This is the clearance you get with all 4 bikes attached and the safety cable moved to its maximum notch setting

AB8669DD-D687-4E2F-B154-FF78FDCA49A6.jpeg86FD1A05-9823-440C-B265-9E43A95D4F77.jpeg86C30C83-769F-4F24-976C-AA57EEF24A0E.jpeg

Back