drive shaft suspension question

ashmul

T6 Pro
Hi Folks,

Am new to T6's and not so much mechanically minded but have been wanting to purchase a van for a conversion to a bit of an expedition vehicle down the line a bit. So I guess Im going to have to learn...

I have found a 2020 T6 4 motion but it had its suspension lowered. The garage that has it now is not a VW garage, the previous owner replaced the shocks and lowered the vehicle by 30mm and obviously also changed the tyres. Since I know nothing I am searching advice on whether the drive shaft should also have been adjusted in this suspension lowering process as I know for sure that it was not and it has been on the lowered suspension for at least 6 months now. I can not be sure with my own limited knowledge of the vehicle if this could be an area of concern for future damage. I am also worried that the works carried out to lower the suspension will have voided the warranty which has another 6 months on it.

I would also like the get the extended warranty but am also unsure that I will be able to get it since it was modified.

The garage after some talking to has agreed to raise the suspension to factory at their cost but not replace the tyres as they say the current tyres will be fine, despite telling me repeatedly until now that if I raised the suspension I would need to replace the tyres. They could be telling the truth on that and just not know what they are talking about themselves regards all the other stuff.

but now I have lost confidence in them actually even knowing what they are actually selling. And its a lot on many to spend on something that they can not even clarify for my my questions about it. Maybe I am being naive expecting to know these things, but I am wondering if it may be better to find a fresh vehicle with no modifications just to ensure I do not run into issues with VW down the line. Thanks so much for any advice or suggestions as I am flying a bit blind here.

4 motions are a bit rare in this country and this one came to my town and the rest of the van seems like it was kept in meticulous condition with the bonus of fancy interior so im a little torn, could be a perfect base vehicle but just know so little about them and if the modifications could have damaged it in any ways which are too alarming. I guess these are my main concerns right now. Been trying to get further clarification from VW garages but they have not really been any more helpful, just more confusing. They were the ones who suggested that the drive shaft should have been adjusted when the vehicle was lowered.

From a little browse through the forum it seems that I will likely have to modify the suspension again myself anyway when I get round to conversion to account for the additional weight.

Last edited:
There is no adjustment on the driveshaft so its ringing some alarm bells if they are telling you that.

There is a factory option of -20mm lower suspension and many go far lower with coil over suspension.

I don't get the part about changing the tyres if you raise it.. it might look a bit weird with a bigger arch gap but that's it.

Tbh they sound like a load of chancer cowboys. I would walk away and look elsewhere

I’ve had mine lowered by 50mm while still in warranty and had some warranty work done no probs. I would imagine that they wouldn’t replace anything that they could blame on lowering, such as ball joints, drive shafts, steering rack etc.
If the garage are offering to put it back to standard suspension for you then there should be no problems with warranty going forwards.
Sounds perhaps like they don’t know too much about Transporters so maybe don’t really know what they’ve got which can be an advantage for you.
It’s got 6 months VW warranty left so I wouldn’t be so worried as long as the van is ok.

I agree with @Bigsidavies , 30mm suspension drop is not much. Many vans lower than that. You don't need to worry about the driveshafts, or the tyres.

If its a spec what you are looking for then I would say go for it and them not knowing much isn't a problem either, could even uses the concerns you mentioned to beat the price down a bit because of this.

sure aren't most small dealers in rural towns chancer cowboys in Ireland and especially when dealing with a female. Its a horrible game to have be a chancer cowboy back when it doesn't come naturally to me. I really appreciate the feedback folks, Im a landscape photographer and while I don't know much about the van yet I certainly need to ensure that it has the right potential for me so I can take it all step by step as I fit it out and begin to learn all that I am going to. Already your responses have put my mind at ease a lot more than it was.

would anyone know if the diff lock can be added retrofit or if that's something that needs to be done during manufacture? I have been searching the information but can't get a concrete answer anywhere?

It needs to be added during manufacture.

I have a 4Mo without the diff lock and it’s recently done very well at getting me off some muddy campsites after we spent ages pushing other vans off and shovelling gravel under wheels and using mats etc. After doing all that I just got in my van and drove straight through it all and off the site with a bit of a smug grin.
Depends on your useage I guess. Diff lock will always be better in extreme off road, but tyre choice is probably a bigger factor.

I would add it probably could be retro fitted, as someone on here is converting a FWD van to 4 motion. But i guess it would be very difficult and expensive.

Thanks folks she sits in my drive this morning
If you would like to call use we can reassure you on all suspension issues , up or down ?? , if you want to build an expedition vehicle you will need some suspension mods anyway so dont worry too much about what is currently fitted , just get what you need for the future . SH

thanks folks for all the comments, Its a bit rainy out there this morning but ill add some photos soon. Got the fright of my life with her last night when the regen kicked off and I had no clue what was happening when I parked up. Im excited for the journey ahead but feeling like I know so little right now, but guess I take it one step at a time.

Reactions: CAB
Back