@Thoggs lining as it happens

I love the pair of trainers beside the door "take your shoes off before you come in"

Absolutely! It was pretty muddy where we took those photos so there was no way we would soil the floor of a customers van through sheer lazyness :thumbsup:

Since the introduction of our eclipse lining package we have continued to offer our standard lining package however funnilly enough nobody has ever gone for the standard package (i cant think why ;)). So we are thinking of developing an "ultimate" lining package, we have been playing around with some ideas for this over the last week or so and think we have come up with some good stuff but I would be interested to hear if anybody else has any good ideas we could try to include in this setup (after all we are are customer driven buisness). So..... anything you think we should include?

@slidepods - not sure if this is a crap idea or not but how about the option of custom embossing? I.e a wooden VW logo on one of the ply panels before it's carpeted or even a name out of timber letters before it's carpeted (toying with the idea of embossing "buzz" into the ply panel on my barn door as that's the name of our camper).

PS do you have a link to info about your eclipse package? Couldn't see it on your site or this thread (my van is lined but just curious)

PS do you have a link to info about your eclipse package? Couldn't see it on your site or this thread (my van is lined but just curious)

I'm afraid not we are planning an overhaul of the website later in the summer to show a full range of what we do conversion wise but its the package we did on Thoggs van earlier on in the thread.

I'm afraid not we are planning an overhaul of the website later in the summer to show a full range of what we do conversion wise but its the package we did on Thoggs van earlier on in the thread.

Ahh gotcha. Very nice work indeed

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT :D

I have been harping on about our HPL lining package for a while now in this thread so I thought it was only appropriate that this should be the first place we uploaded images of it for everyone to have a look the more eagle eyed of you will spot these are also the first images anywhere of the LWB Kombi Slidepod :thumbsup:. This customer approached us with a lovely T6 LWB Highline panel van that had been converted to a kombi by another conversion company (I must praise their works converting the van as it had been done very well). The owner of this fantastic vehicle wanted a vehicle that could be used for work and play (don't we all!) but in this instance the van really is going to be used as a workhorse. So he specced an AT Cooper tyre to give the van more traction not only in wet campsites but out on work sites. Along with the hard wearing seat covers and genuine Kombi floor mat this beast of a van will be able to take a battering in the week before having a wipe down to go camping at the weekend. We then set about installing our comprehensive leisure electrics system, an SCA 192 (I think) comfort, safari roof, Reimo rail, and our new LWB Kombi Slidepod (with stone effect top). To top it off we soundproofed, insulated and carpet lined the van then installed stainless rivnuts into each and every panel fixing hole which enabled us to fix (using stainless hardwear) 4mm birch ply panels which have been pressed with the exact same HPL as the Slidepod was manufactured in and CNC cut for an exact fit. This gives the van interior a high quality and extremely hard wearing interior finish. I have had the pleasure of driving this vehicle both on and off road and I was surprised just how quiet the tyres were and how much grip they provided in the "field". I really feel this is the perfect balance of work and play, with the ability to easily remove the Slidepod and extra seats during the week and then re-fit at the weekend. It also gives the option of a full length bed without the rear seats installed while working away and the last part of the bed can be fitted to the front legs of the bed to create a load divider when necessary. I think I know what my next work vehicle is going to look like in 2018!!! :whistle:
View attachment 8401 View attachment 8402 View attachment 8403 View attachment 8404 View attachment 8405
I have had this van on the drive now for around 4 weeks but with holidays booked and work commitments, have only just had a chance to play with it, and here is some feedback!
Both of the companies that worked on the van are fantastic and really listened to what kind of spec I was after.

After getting the van converted to a kombi with a few extras, I began talking to Jonny about the possibility of a insulation and lining package, this quickly snowballed into what you see in the pictures as the option of a completely flexible, working van materialised.

The work that slidepods turn out is very high standard, but it is the snippets of information and ideas that they offer that is exceptional. Because of this I now have a van that can hopefully do everything that is asked if it.

I do not intend to keep the van spotless and immaculate, instead it will be well used and enjoyed.

Can def recommend slidepods if you are thinking of something a little different, but you may have a bit of a wait judging by their bookings diary.

@TeamT welcome to the Forum :) and I must say that is a lovely looking van that has everything removable and protected so that it can be a workhorse :thumbsup::thumbsup:. @slidepods and the original converters did a magnificent job and it's good to put the member and van together:D.

Really enjoyed reading this, giving me a better appreciation of what's involved, love the pods too.

Now we've spend all our money on a van putting a lining will have to wait but I will be adding the sound deadening and insulation.

I've been looking at all the different sound dreading materials. The question I have is why go for dynamat/ silent coat over say a thicker foil lined product like a dodo therm? Do they do the same thing or should both be used?

What works better for the side vs the roof?

Thanks
J2.0.

I'm not a pro at this stuff @Jamie2.0 and slidepods might be able to advise you better but I used 2mm silent coat for sound deadening and found it to be great and takes the rattle out of panels easily. I used dynamat on my front doors but apart from being stickier than silent coat it felt pretty much the same (no issues with silent coat sticking just dynamat was stickier). After that you will need a second product to insulate. I used recycled bottle insulation from B&Q and then foil bubble insulation to finish it off (many different opinions on insulation products). As for lining I done mine myself. It was a PITA but I managed to achieve a nice finish. If your money is spent on the van it would def be worth a go yourself after a bit of reading

Thanks @xpfloyd, after reading some more posts and looking at a couple more how to's the silent coat and dynamat look the way to go. I'm quite impressed with the van already, I'd say its only marginally noisier than the Focus St it has replaced. We have the spongy rubber kombi floor which i think must help.

Reading the threads again has given me the confidence to get on with the sound deadening for now. I've gone for a combo of silent coat and Dodo therm.

The actual carpet lining will have to wait, my wife doesn't seem to share my confidence in me doing this...

The actual carpet lining will have to wait, my wife doesn't seem to share my confidence in me doing this...
@Jamie2.0 You can actually pull the carpet back off if you make a mistake on a bit and apply more spray glue and go again. When I was doing mine I had to do that on a couple of bits as I didnt get it right the first time. The glue is pretty quick drying so it takes a bit of pulling but due to the thickness of the carpet you can pull it back and glue it down again and you cant tell afterwards what happened

Glad to see that our thread is helping you @Jamie2.0 . We are actually supporting a forum member to line his van himself at the moment. The project is still in its early stages, currently he has visited our workshops and been given a run through on how to achieve a quality and individual diy lining job and is now gathering the bits and setting aside time to do the job and document it for the benefit of other members.

Back