This years camping in the UK :-(

Dorset is full of old didicoys, travellers, gypsys etc so its no wonder their lingo has spread into the wider general language.

Also commonly used words like moosh, grockle.

I just look up words when they are new to me
Reminds me that I went through a spate of trying to learn a new word a day using Dictionary.com (didn't last). Their word for today is 'camion' which it defines as perhaps having a 'connection to Late Latin chamulcus “chariot, cart, machine”'. Today, I will be driving my VW Camion, but I bet our PM Boris would be driving a VW Chamulcus!:think smile bounce:

Reminds me that I went through a spate of trying to learn a new word a day using Dictionary.com (didn't last). Their word for today is 'camion' which it defines as perhaps having a 'connection to Late Latin chamulcus “chariot, cart, machine”'. Today, I will be driving my VW Camion, but I bet our PM Boris would be driving a VW Chamulcus!:think smile bounce:
VW Chamulci, surely!

...we have found with so many campers having to staycation they havent worked out how thin canvas is.

Just to provide a little balance [ahem], I recall our first camping experience back when the kids were young. We were in a tent and, throughout the first night, we were awoken by the sound of a T3 camper sliding-door being opened and closed every 5 minutes (all the way through to the wee small hours). What the hell they were doing is beyond me, but you'd have thought these people would've worked out how thin tent canvas is!! :whistle:;)

Oh, and the annoying gits asked for a jump-start the following morning and, being a typical Brit, I just smiled and obliged. :rolleyes:

Well as soon to be newbies to the world of campervanning, having read this thread I hope not to disappoint anyone on this forum with our lack of knowledge and experience as neither of us have camped since we were teenagers which is some decades ago :) So we may ask campsite neighbours some naive questions or be good entertainment for you all as we struggle to put up our awning, level the van etc etc. Everyone has to start somewhere, before becoming experts.

PS. We are well behaved so promise to observe campsite etiquette and respect other campers. We have a dog though, sorry.

PPS. We’ve never been to Benidorm ;)

@interbear. No reasonable person should ever be bothered about getting such questions or helping people and I think most on here very much fall into that category (even more so when it comes to another VW owner!). It's the rude, loud and just plain inconsiderate ones that we all object to.

@interbear. No reasonable person should ever be bothered about getting such questions or helping people and I think most on here very much fall into that category (even more so when it comes to another VW owner!). It's the rude, loud and just plain inconsiderate ones that we all object to.
For some, answering a newbie's questions provides a much-welcomed opportunity for an ego boost (you know who you are :whistle:).

Seriously though, what @Ayjay said.

Hi Bav, From Cheshire. Did they have their own jumper leads, by chance?
Yeah, they did have their own jump leads as it goes. Why do you ask - are you feeling the need to fess-up? :rofl:

Before you claim Mea culpa, let me tell you that the miscreants were a young, foreign couple (possibly Dutch); the crime scene was a campsite in Robin Hood's Bay; and the heinous deed occurred somewhere around 2002.

I thought they might have been Baden Powells people as in 'Be Prepared'. Forewarned and all that. Never heard the expression fess-up what does it mean?You always know someone with a poor battery as they always carry cables, same as leaky ali wheels, carrying an air pump.

Reactions: CAB
I thought they might have been Baden Powells people as in 'Be Prepared'. Forewarned and all that. Never heard the expression fess-up what does it mean?You always know someone with a poor battery as they always carry cables, same as leaky ali wheels, carrying an air pump.
"Fess-up" = confess.

Yeah, I got the distinct impression that wasn't the first time they had needed help getting their van going.

Well as soon to be newbies to the world of campervanning, having read this thread I hope not to disappoint anyone on this forum with our lack of knowledge and experience as neither of us have camped since we were teenagers which is some decades ago :) So we may ask campsite neighbours some naive questions or be good entertainment for you all as we struggle to put up our awning, level the van etc etc. Everyone has to start somewhere, before becoming experts.

PS. We are well behaved so promise to observe campsite etiquette and respect other campers. We have a dog though, sorry.

Half the fun of campsites is sitting watching everyone else and criticising their camping choices!

As Mr Bennett said, what are we here for, but to provide sport for our neighbours, and to laugh at them in turn?

I agree. And the advice I’ve had on here already to help me with conversion choices confirms that this forum is a very friendly and helpful bunch of people indeed. I look forward to making daft mistakes and asking more daft questions :)

only useful tips we can help with are;
if it has a pool, clubhouse or playpark avoid if you want some peace !!
nearly everyone is willing to give a hand although most havent a clue themselves, we sat chuckling last year as a couple with a new california appeared with everything in new boxes struggled after a while we helped them inflate the awning and attach although they looked puzzled as we sat outside our rusty 70s camper with gaffer taped chairs...........

We have no desire to ever camp in UK ever again, we had Motorhome’s and did Europe whilst kids were younger , did UK sites & more closer to home in NI, we have since moved on , each to their own but not for us, just to note, the most loutish behaviour we ever encountered was in Stanwix on our way to Cairnryan,

We have no desire to ever camp in UK ever again, we had Motorhome’s and did Europe whilst kids were younger , did UK sites & more closer to home in NI, we have since moved on , each to their own but not for us, just to note, the most loutish behaviour we ever encountered was in Stanwix on our way to Cairnryan,
Good luck with that

Back