Temporary / Part Time Solar Help

Ian_T6

T6 Pro
Looking for some advice around attaching a foldable solar panel to my CTEK. I don’t want to fit a permanent solar panel to my roof, but instead occasionally attach a foldable panel to the CTEK, but also use the same panel to charge my newly purchased Allpowers 372Wh portable power generator.

I‘m looking for a quick connect system for the CTEK as I want to make it as quick and easy as possible to attach and remove the solar panel.

Any advice on possible solutions would be much appreciated as electrics are a black art to me! Also, any recommendations for solar panels that fold reasonably small - anything between 100 - 200w. Would I need a solar panel with an integrated charge controller?

The CTEK is fitted to the front of of the underside of the passenger seat, if that helps. So easy to access from the passenger door.

Any advice would be great... I’m out of my depth!

Thanks!

Ian

6D16C212-0DF8-493C-AEBA-DB2FF473CA7F.jpeg

This exactly what I have done to my van as I only use it a couple times a year (busfest/Camperjam), I rigged up a couple metres of two core flex coming from my CTEK unit and bought an IP rated joiner (picture to follow)
When camping I run this out of the cracked open passenger window that had a wind deflector on it and connect to my portable solar panel
I won’t be setting any solar gain records but in summer sun it sticks a few amps into the battery and tops it up during the daytime

Looks a bit like these, has a threaded centre part ensuring a positive locked connection

when not in use I just coil the fly lead and tuck away under seat

F490BBA4-C52B-4882-82EF-C2B8DBE3C559.png

Get one of these and one of these. Connect the eyelet connector to the CTEK solar input and repurpose the other lead for the solar panel. Then you can just plug in the panel as and when.

Just make sure the solar panel you choose has a VOC of less than 23v.

No need for a charge controller either as the CTEK has one built in.

Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 20.26.47.png

Last edited:
This exactly what I have done to my van as I only use it a couple times a year (busfest/Camperjam), I rigged up a couple metres of two core flex coming from my CTEK unit and bought an IP rated joiner (picture to follow)
When camping I run this out of the cracked open passenger window that had a wind deflector on it and connect to my portable solar panel
I won’t be setting any solar gain records but in summer sun it sticks a few amps into the battery and tops it up during the daytime
Thanks Pauly.... Exactly the same reason I just want a temporary setup!

Get one of these and one of these. Connect the eyelet connector to the CTEK solar input and repurpose the other lead for the solar panel. Then you can just plug in the panel as and when.

Just make sure the solar panel you choose has a VOC of less than 23v.

No need for a charge controller either as the CTEK has one built in.

View attachment 67493
Thanks Tim, this looks like a neat solution, saves having 2m of cable under the seat when not in use. Would that same cable fit the Allpowers unit, do you know? not sure if the Allpowers unit needs a charge controller between it and the solar panel. Would it do any harm having a charge controller on the solar panel and then going into the CTEK? Thanks again... Ian

Thanks Tim, this looks like a neat solution, saves having 2m of cable under the seat when not in use. Would that same cable fit the Allpowers unit, do you know? not sure if the Allpowers unit needs a charge controller between it and the solar panel. Would it do any harm having a charge controller on the solar panel and then going into the CTEK? Thanks again... Ian
@Dellmassive has an Allpowers. He'll be able to help.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a charge controller as the CTEK has one. Plenty of solar panels available without them.

hi @Ian_T6

occasionally attach a foldable panel to the CTEK, but also use the same panel to charge my newly purchased Allpowers 372Wh portable power generator.

I've got an AllPowers 372wh. (AP-SS-005)

The Solar input of the ALLPOWERS is "Anderson" "powerpole" or Anderson torberry connectors

ALLPOWERS have a MC4 cable example over here :

1588062809824.png
1588062872957.png

So you could either use MC4 connectors,

or the Victron quick disconnect or others as you see fit.

hers the othyer option thge do for power power panels.

1588063115026.png

1588063129998.png

Generally I use MC4 for solar panel sides and Anderson Connectors for Power sides.

the CTEK has its own intermal MPPT controller, so you connect just the plain panel to it.

The ALLPOWERS again implies it has a internal controller and shows the panel directly connected to it..... BUT i believe its 50W MAX !

EDIT: Solar Charger Input/Anderson Power Solar Input: 12V-22V/3.2A(Max.)

Portable Power Station
Power up to 11 devices at the SAME time
11 POWER GENERATOR OUTLETS: Ready for home, camping, or commercial use - take the RIVER to camp, a photo shoot, for your RV or camper, and it can also be for portable CPAP power. Pairing no portable generator offers more energy delivery variety; charge cell phones, electronics, your car and more.

comes with an AC wall charger and 12V car charger so it’s easy to recharge RIVER wherever you are. Solar chargers are also available for purchase!

• Specification:
  • Battery Capacity: 372Wh/105000mAh
  • Rated Power: 300W, Peak Power 500W
  • Output Waveform: Pure Sine Wave
INPUT:

AC Input: AC 110v/60Hz 2A

(please use the adapter included with this generator)

Solar Charger Input/Anderson Power Solar Input: 12V-22V/3.2A(Max.)

• Size: 20.6x16.5x11cm/8.1x6.5x4.3inch
  • Weight: 3986g/137.3oz

the CTEK as shown above has a max VOC of 23v

so a 50W panel may be max for the ALLPOWERS and as 100w panel may be max for the CTEK,

so you could get 2x50W panels,

use 1x50W for the ALLPOWERS and then use 2x50W (in parallel) for the CTEK.

But think it will be more efficient to just use a 100W panel connected to the CTEK, then charge the ALLPOWERS via the 12V input?

unless you NEED to use the ALLPOWERS OFFGRID, in which case you need a 50W panel.

like these :

the book shows 50-100W panel though.

1588064430022.png

and refences the MC4/DC 5521 cable . . . (DC barrel jack 5.5mm x 2.1mm)

ALLPOWERS 4.9 Feet 16 AWG Solar Extension Cable with Female and Male Connector DC 5.5mm x 2.1mm (5.5X 2.5mm Included) and 3.5x1.35mm Solar Adapter Kit Tools for Solar Panel and Portable Genera -

1588064679412.png

but i think the manual is getting confused in Chinglish conversion.

5.5x2.1mm id the barreljack.

and the Anderson powerpole id the other connector.

BUT,

the user guide shows a 100W panel will charge at a max rate of 60W via MPPT

This guy shows some of the conectors :

the book shows 50-100W panel though.

View attachment 67550

and refences the MC4/DC 5521 cable . . . (DC barrel jack 5.5mm x 2.1mm)

ALLPOWERS 4.9 Feet 16 AWG Solar Extension Cable with Female and Male Connector DC 5.5mm x 2.1mm (5.5X 2.5mm Included) and 3.5x1.35mm Solar Adapter Kit Tools for Solar Panel and Portable Genera -

View attachment 67551

but i think the manual is getting confused in Chinglish conversion.

5.5x2.1mm id the barreljack.

and the Anderson powerpole id the other connector.

BUT,

the user guide shows a 100W panel will charge at a max rate of 60W via MPPT

This guy shows some of the conectors :

@Dellmassive You’ve gone to incredible detail there, can’t thank you enough! Even the advice on just using the 12v for charging the Allpowers 372 unit, so obvious now you’ve said it! If you’ve got affiliate links to any of the kit you’ve mentioned, let me know as happy to use them by way of a thank you! Any recommendations for a foldable solar panel without a charge controller? Thanks again... Ian

HERE IS THE OFFICIAL REPLY FROM ALLPOWERS TECH SUPPORT:

Dear friend,

Good day and so sorry for a delay, for your concorns, to be honest, the solar input port is designed for solar charging actually as it is equipped with MPPT regulating. (It will handle up to 60W Max. per hours) so we recommend to connect a 50-100W solar panel for recharging. (Solar charging effects a lot by sunlight condition. )

The user guide states ' last sheet state that'input MAX of 12V-22V/3.2A (MAX)

Actually only the votlage of your panel are relly matters, so for those using their own solar panel, make sure that Optimum Operating Voltage of your solar panel is between 16.6-22V to be compatible with our Solar generator.

For the current, the current that deliver into our generator actually depends on how many amps our generator accept per hours only, since it only accept 3.2A max, a 8A should be fine,

Yes, you can have the 150W panel provided below the VOC of 22v to our generator even if the panel MAX amps is 8A(It will delivers 3.2A in reality.)

We hope this information helps.
发件人:
发送日期:2020-04-28 17:23:58
收件人:"support@allpowers.net" <support@allpowers.net>
抄送人:
主题:AllPowers 372wh. (AP-SS-005) + solar charging.

from my email to them:

Hello ALLPOPWERS.
Please can you help clear up some confusion with the AllPowers 372wh. (AP-SS-005) + solar charging.
What is the MAX size solar panel I can connect to the input DC5525 DC JACK?
Does the DC JACK have an internal MPPT?
What is the MAX size solar panel I can connect to the ANDERSON POWERPOLE?
Does the ANDERSON POWERPOLE have an internal MPPT?
The user guide states 50-100W panel in the charging chart, but the port shows input MAX of 12v-22v/3.2A (MAX)?
Can I connect up a 150W panel provided its below the VOC of 22v? even if the panel MAX amps is say 8A?
Can I over panel the Anderson input?

so you can use any panel array without a solar controller.

Provided the panel VOC is 22v MAX

the MAX panel current can be whatever (say 8A) becuase the ALLPOWERS will only take 3.2A

so the MAX Solar charge rate would be (w=v*a) 22v*3.2a=70.4 theoretical max

-15% for efficiency losses and you get 60W MAX

so you can use any panel array without a solar controller.

Provided the panel VOC is 22v MAX

the MAX panel current can be whatever (say 8A) becuase the ALLPOWERS will only take 3.2A

so the MAX Solar charge rate would be (w=v*a) 22v*3.2a=70.4 theoretical max

-15% for efficiency losses and you get 60W MAX
Thanks again for the update @Dellmassive - that’s great news, means I can use a 100w panel without a solar controller for the Allpowers 372 and the CTEK!

Thanks again for the update @Dellmassive - that’s great news, means I can use a 100w panel without a solar controller for the Allpowers 372 and the CTEK!

yes, Provided the panel VOC is 22v MAX

what panel have you got, getting?

Could I do this with a Redarc dc-dc charger I git from @travelvolts?

Yes in you have:
Redarc BCDC1240D - Redarc BCDC1240D | travelvolts

Dual Input 40A In-vehicle DC Battery Charger
https://www.redarc.com.au/Content/Images/uploaded/Manuals/BCDC Dual Input Instruction Manual.pdf

again it looks like the REDARC will take up-to 40A MAX from solar, but keeping within the 12v panel range ((typically VOC somewhere between 18 and 25v) so you could 600w or 1000w of panels but need the in parallel and kept the VOC within range, and have cable good enough for the 40A.

what one have you got?

cool,

have a look here: Electrics | Travelvolts

and here:

SOLAR:

Solar Pwm & Mppt Controllers - How I Done It -
Mobile Solar Panels ? . . . - How I Did It -
What Solar Panel & Controller ?
Solar Panel Cutting Hole In Roof !!!
300w Solar Club -- How I Done It --
Solar Sheds & Other Non-t6 Solar Projects - How We Done It -

I've got:

Renogy foldup (soft case foldup)
Renogy suitcase (hard frame foldup)
Lensun (soft case foldup)

and some Flexy panels . . .

do you want foldup or flexy ?

have a quick look at the video.

here is a quick look at a few solar controller :

cool,

have a look here: Electrics | Travelvolts

and here:

SOLAR:

Solar Pwm & Mppt Controllers - How I Done It -
Mobile Solar Panels ? . . . - How I Did It -
What Solar Panel & Controller ?
Solar Panel Cutting Hole In Roof !!!
300w Solar Club -- How I Done It --
Solar Sheds & Other Non-t6 Solar Projects - How We Done It -

I've got:

Renogy foldup (soft case foldup)
Renogy suitcase (hard frame foldup)
Lensun (soft case foldup)

and some Flexy panels . . .

do you want foldup or flexy ?

have a quick look at the video.

here is a quick look at a few solar controller :

Great video, you’ve got a new subscriber! I really like the look of the Acopower, but is it 100w? It looks like it says 50w on the box and I can only find it in that form factor for 50w. Any thoughts on the eco-power 100w that looks a similar size? View attachment 67678

Back