TDI v Bi TDI

It’s not just the power. The Btdi is more refined, less noisy, smoother at any giver RPM.
Overall it’s a better engine when compared to the 150 in terms of driving and more toque at lower RPM makes it feel effortless even when fully loaded.

Don’t want to temp fate but my 199 bitdi is now just over 3 years old with 70k on the clock and it’s been faultless. Do do quite a mix of driving as a service engineer- shorter journeys during the week but often longer trips at the weekends. I had 150 as a courtesy van on my last service and whilst it was very nice mine just feels a bit more refined. One of the downsides with forums is that generally speaking you only here about the problem vans - it’s not really news for me to post another week and nothing to report!!

Which is why we have DPF's.
That’s right, but the messaging/policy and taxation around diesel powered vehicles could have been handled better. Putting people, who mostly do tiny journeys, off diesel has been a very drawn out affair (the cynic might say because the tax income to the treasury is nice).
Buying a vehicle is a big commitment so people are usually stuck with them for a while.
As we see on this forum (and others) more people are willing to bypass/delete the DPF as it is a compromise that causes other issue to owners - so that isn’t working. Clear messaging/policy would have been better all round, especially considering diesels were pushed as clean for so long. People need help understanding what changed and need help making a switch to the right vehicle.
Diesels do have their place and will for a long time, they are fantastic for long journeys when they can warm up, but when 26% of journeys by car are under one mile and 71% under five miles (UK figures) many people aren’t experiencing the benefits of diesel and may end up with unnecessary maintenance costs.

It’s not just the power. The Btdi is more refined, less noisy, smoother at any giver RPM.
Overall it’s a better engine when compared to the 150 in terms of driving and more toque at lower RPM makes it feel effortless even when fully loaded.

The better engine is the one that can do 150K or more miles and still use no oil between services.

have a 150 at 82. running pretty fine (two major issues. egr cooler lek (know issue) and egr flexi pipe crack (known issue) so nothing out of the ordiniary for them). i think an injector is a bit rickety however...
the 204 is at.. urm.. 14k. 67 plate. my old mans. bit a of a plank... prefers the old vitara... lol - 2.7 v6 roar. it does sound better XD
but the 204 is, not, well...
i dont know how much is his sparrow weighted foot or the run around he was given by dealer on it and lack of will to sort the thing out.
I've put nearly 60 on mine in the time hes taken to put 7 on his.
204 issue- chuggin smoke out of the oil cap at below 95 celcisu. in diagnosis with an indi i trust. hoping its not a piston/rings/block issue. sounds ok on the ouside but is a bit rough sounding through the cap (blow by is my bet).

but it could be some sludge build up from a lack of use.... s i said, diagnoiss in progress. also getting oil leking though a pressure sensor on the top of the intercooler condensor pack thing on top of the engine (two sensors, still leaking... obviously an internal issue somwhere, unknown relation to case chuggin)

im avoiding the new transporter until i know. I've heard some utterly crumby stories bout transits... may get a multivan on the vw platform instead or a toyota (psa) van purely for the 10 year warranty and toyota have been exceptional in the warranty and after care to me on a another vehicle - so much so that im flabbergasted at how generous they have been... after a bit of moaning...

Back