Tailgate won't open, even manually

al00000

Hi,

My tailgate won't open. Any help would be appreciated.

I've taken the insde panel off the door and can see that when the external handle is opened, the actuator is operating but the door won't open.

I've tried manually opening it from the inside but I can't move the mechanism at all, so it seems like it is jammed in some way.

I've taken the small panel off so I can see as much of the lock as I can. All looks OK.

Not sure what's going on. Is there some sort of deadlock mechanism?

Any help suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

Al

Hi,

My tailgate won't open. Any help would be appreciated.

I've taken the insde panel off the door and can see that when the external handle is opened, the actuator is operating but the door won't open.

I've tried manually opening it from the inside but I can't move the mechanism at all, so it seems like it is jammed in some way.

I've taken the small panel off so I can see as much of the lock as I can. All looks OK.

Not sure what's going on. Is there some sort of deadlock mechanism?

Any help suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

Al
This is a common problem. The search function should be helpful.

Hi,

Thanks for the comments.

I've looked at all of the posts including the one linked to. None of these seem to be my actual issue.

The metal connector has not detatched.

I've taken the interior panel off (and I'd taken the gromet out).

I can't push down the little lever manually. It will not budge.

Have you tried pushing the lever whilst someone else pushes on the door to release the tension?

Hi,

Yes tried that. The actuator moves but won't unlock. Pushing the lever while someone else pulls on the door catch makes no difference.

Have they tried pushing and pulling on the door ? As Loz says above, pushing may release tension holding the catch shut.

Peter

Hi,

Yes, we've tried it all.

We shall have another go.

I think my takeway from the responses is that there's nothing that we've missed. If the actuator is working and/or we could push down on the little lever, it should open.

No dealocks or anything else.

Thanks for comments.

Barn doors are sometimes tricky, you have to push the outside handle away from you before it will catch. Don't know if it's the same or worth trying on a tailgate?

Barn doors are sometimes tricky, you have to push the outside handle away from you before it will catch. Don't know if it's the same or worth trying on a tailgate?
Barn-doors work mechanically on rods (well, the T6.1 may be different) whereas the tailgate has been electronic since the T5.1.

But I’d have thought a push/pull as the final actuator is pulled would have solved it. I wonder if something is wedged in there

Reactions: CAB
I have the same problem on my 2008 T5! Somehow managed to find the lever of the tailgate al the way underneath. But it simply can't be moved. Got a tiewrap around it and everything, still won't move.

Anyone have any other ideas how to fix?

Hi Al
Did you manage to solve this one? I have the exactly same problem. The electronic actuators work, but they are not able to push in the manual lever as there must be something stuck.

Back