Tailgate Rubber Seal After Carpet Lining – Best Practice?

ched

T6 Highline PV (Camper Conversion)
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi folks, I've just finished carpet lining my T6, but I'm having trouble trying to re-fit the tailgate rubber seal.
It's obviously down to the added thickness of the carpet, but all the videos/tutorials I've followed seem to cut the carpet flush with the tailgate's metal edge/end of the lip as I have done.

I've had some success pushing the carpet under the rubber as I make my way round with a trim tool, but not 100% happy it's fully-on – i.e likely to allow water ingress.

What has everybody else done with this? Is the answer to trim the carpet back (see dotted line), so that none of it is under the rubber seal?

Help/advice/experiences much appricated - thanks!

IMG_0037.JPG

I left my carpet cut flush with the lip of the metal , as you have. Then its just a case of persuading the rubber onto the rim, with trim tools and iirc I used a rubber mallet at times.

I left my carpet cut flush with the lip of the metal , as you have. Then its just a case of persuading the rubber onto the rim, with trim tools and iirc I used a rubber mallet at times.

Cheers @Skyliner33 – did you clean out some of the sticky sealant from the inside of the rubber before attempting to refit? I can only imagine that is adding to the difficulty!

Last edited:
Cheers @Skyliner33 – did you clean out some of the sticky sealant from the inside of the rubber before attempting to refit? I can only imagine that is adding to the difficulty!
No, just forced it on. Does your carpet fold over the lip?

Mine had no sticky sealant inside. Perhaps that is part of the problem?
I did need to gently prise the seal open in a couple of spots but ultimately it just needs some persuasion.

Thanks all.

I’ve pulled the entire seal back off this evening and the sticky stuff is definitely the root of the problem.

I got a bit excited when completing the last bit of carpet lining the other night and rushed putting the rubber back on — I should have looked at it in decent light and realised how much of the super-sticky residue was on the inside on the seal! It’s horrible stuff - some kind of non-curing Sikaflex... interesting that some of you didn’t find any of this on your door seals?

Anyhow, I’ve cleaned the seal up now with a bit of white spirit so will have another go at it tomorrow.

Thanks again

Evening guys, about to carpet the tailgate on Mt T6, undecided to carpet just the panels or the whole door, what's people's experience with both, tbh I like the idea of whole door.

Thanks

Back