Carpet Lining Tomorrow - Any Last Second Advice?

@Ann3x Hi mate was planning to do a one-piece install which part of it was too short round the tailgate?
Just be ready to have a large excess of carpet and a heat gun as a beginner, I bet the experts know exactly what to use but you'll be learning.

I found the side fine but when I needed to stretch upwards and around to go around the tailgate I found I was running out of stretch.

Probably warmer weather would have helped too. I did in early Jan and the carpet is a lot less stretchy and glue much slower setting in low temps.

Just be ready to have a large excess of carpet and a heat gun as a beginner, I bet the experts know exactly what to use but you'll be learning.

I found the side fine but when I needed to stretch upwards and around to go around the tailgate I found I was running out of stretch.

Probably warmer weather would have helped too. I did in early Jan and the carpet is a lot less stretchy and glue much slower setting in low temps.
I see thanks mate, I have actually carpeted already on my van for the first time a few months back. I did each side in one piece and then a join over the top of the tailgate metal. Went pretty well overall but there is some bits I could touch up on. I'd been considering doing it again with what I had learned and trying to do it all in one. I was just trying to visualize the one piece around the tailgate.

I may just do the touch-ups and leave it as it is. Don't want to do it again only to not do the all in one piece anyway.

It's the top corner that's the challenge, look at it and you'll see the outer section (near the tailgate) has to stretch many more times than the inner.

Any tips for carpeting up to the sides of the factory kombi window?

Top/ bottom is fine as you can tuck behind the frame, sides it's straight onto glass really... Assume lots of people have done it so I must just be missing something.

Trim tool. Tuck the carpet behind. It's tight but does go. Take it easy.

Reactions: Rg_
20200415_202304.jpg
20200415_202457.jpg

I did mine this afternoon. I didn't quite finish the r/h B pillar but I had to focus on putting the tailgate and sliding door seals back on while I still had daylight!
I managed to do it in one piece but it is a struggle. I started on the L/H side, which was fine, but once I had done the two tailgate corners the whole R/H side was spent battling to keep the top edge high enough. Not ideal and, pride aside, if I did it again I would probably just do it with joins.

View attachment 66168
View attachment 66169

I did mine this afternoon. I didn't quite finish the r/h B pillar but I had to focus on putting the tailgate and sliding door seals back on while I still had daylight!
I managed to do it in one piece but it is a struggle. I started on the L/H side, which was fine, but once I had done the two tailgate corners the whole R/H side was spent battling to keep the top edge high enough. Not ideal and, pride aside, if I did it again I would probably just do it with joins.
Looks like a better job than I managed. Well done.

View attachment 66168
View attachment 66169

Good job! I can imagine its hard once you've got onto that last side trying to battle it.

I removed my old carpet today. Still got to clean up some glue residue. Then when the new carpet arrives it will be time to go again! Hoping to pull off the 1 piece. I will just take my time.

Back