Carpet Lining Tomorrow - Any Last Second Advice?

Ann3x

VIP Member
T6 Guru
So after a bit of a hiatus due to moving house, I'm back onto my conversion and will be lining the metalwork of my Kombi tomorrow with MVM anthracite & spray adhesive. I think I'm all prepped up now, I've done:
  • Cleaned metalwork with alcohol + hoovered up floor
  • Alu taped over un-required holes
  • Run conduit for (future) electric wiring
  • Masked off windows & trims
  • Removed B pillar trim
  • Blanked off anchor points for future furniture use
  • Roughed up the tightest corners of the metalwork with light sandpaper
  • Watched a lot of Youtube vids and lots of threads here (a lot of variation / quality differences but I think I have a decent idea).
General plan is to carpet the whole van in one piece of carpet, starting from top of driver's B pillar working back, around the tailgate metalwork and back up to the slider a la @Absolut5 (tho no doubt not a patch on his skills!).

Im not planning on finishing the floor atm as it's getting a Reimo bonded floor done eo Jan anyway (will just leave a little excess carpet at the bottom to tuck under later) so havent removed the Kombi floor.

Windows I'm planning to tuck back carpet under the U trim / edging after the main line out is done.

Anything else that I should do before carpeting? Any tips for the carpeting session itself?

Looks like you have it covered...

Remove the Kombi floor though, and don’t do it if you are outside and it’s damp in the air..

Yes indeed. I did all the basic lining today, still need to tuck in around windows etc but its mostly done, I just ran out of light. I'm knackered, took about 6h I think with a little prep beforehand.

Things I learnt today:
  • Taking out the flooring was a good idea - thank @Absolut5 , I would have ruined my Kombi floor (which I intend
  • Lining is easy. Lining WELL is HARD.
  • Cut out holes (windows, panels) as you go as it helps with the fabric give.
  • Definitely spray on the metal AND the carpet - just one side doesn't stick well at all.
  • I need to find a way to clean up overspray - Its not too bad but almost every panel has a little overspray on the visible carpet. Need to investigate best way to tidy this up.
  • Carpeting with one piece is not really for a beginner, further respect for the pro skills (and planning abilities) of @Absolut5 @slidepods etc
    • My carpet was slightly too small and I wasn't able to make it around the tailgate :( was forced to abort.... was close but no cigar.
    • I ended up with 3 pieces, one on each side and one across the tailgate, decently butted together but clearly not to plan or up to pro standards
I'd give my efforts a 7/10 I think. It's decent but if I had paid someone to do it I'd be just about ok with the effort but definitely not blown away. Still, for a 1st effort - fine I think. Some pics below:

IMG_20181229_122102.jpg IMG_20181230_101827.jpgIMG_20181230_133901.jpg IMG_20181230_103000.jpg IMG_20181230_112803.jpg IMG_20181230_113704.jpg IMG_20181230_133901.jpg IMG_20181230_145937.jpg ]IMG_20181230_123137.jpgIMG_20181230_122801.jpgIMG_20181230_153452.jpg

Last edited:
Yes indeed. I did all the basic lining today, still need to tuck in around windows etc but its mostly done, I just ran out of light. I'm knackered, took about 6h I think with a little prep beforehand.

Things I learnt today:
  • Taking out the flooring was a good idea - thank @Absolut5 , I would have ruined my Kombi floor (which I intend
  • Definitely spray on the metal AND the carpet - just one side doesn't stick well at all.
  • I need to find a way to clean up overspray - Its not too bad but almost every panel has a little overspray on the visible carpet. Need to investigate best way to tidy this up.
  • Carpeting with one piece is not really for a beginner, further respect for the pro skills (and planning abilities) of @Absolut5 @slidepods etc
    • My carpet was slightly too small and I wasn't able to make it around the tailgate :( was forced to abort.... was close but no cigar.
    • I ended up with 3 pieces, one on each side and one across the tailgate, decently butted together but clearly not to plan or up to pro standards
I'd give my efforts a 7/10 I think. It's decent but if I had paid someone to do it I'd be just about ok with the effort but definitely not blown away. Still, for a 1st effort - fine I think. Some pics below:

View attachment 34322 View attachment 34326 View attachment 34331 View attachment 34330 View attachment 34329 View attachment 34326 View attachment 34325 View attachment 34324View attachment 34327View attachment 34328View attachment 34332

Things I learnt today:

View attachment 34322 View attachment 34326 View attachment 34331 View attachment 34330 View attachment 34329 View attachment 34326 View attachment 34325 View attachment 34324View attachment 34327View attachment 34328View attachment 34332
White spirit for the overspray ,
Only a little needed

So after a bit of a hiatus due to moving house, I'm back onto my conversion and will be lining the metalwork of my Kombi tomorrow with MVM anthracite & spray adhesive. I think I'm all prepped up now, I've done:
  • Cleaned metalwork with alcohol + hoovered up floor
  • Alu taped over un-required holes
  • Run conduit for (future) electric wiring
  • Masked off windows & trims
  • Removed B pillar trim
  • Blanked off anchor points for future furniture use
  • Roughed up the tightest corners of the metalwork with light sandpaper
  • Watched a lot of Youtube vids and lots of threads here (a lot of variation / quality differences but I think I have a decent idea).
General plan is to carpet the whole van in one piece of carpet, starting from top of driver's B pillar working back, around the tailgate metalwork and back up to the slider a la @Absolut5 (tho no doubt not a patch on his skills!).

Im not planning on finishing the floor atm as it's getting a Reimo bonded floor done eo Jan anyway (will just leave a little excess carpet at the bottom to tuck under later) so havent removed the Kombi floor.

Windows I'm planning to tuck back carpet under the U trim / edging after the main line out is done.

Anything else that I should do before carpeting? Any tips for the carpeting session itself?
I’ve lined 5 vans using materials from MVM, I find it therapeutic and relaxing

Great effort, looks really good.. 6 hours is some dedication. Not sure the misses would let me play that long!

Did you have to get the hairdryer/heat gun out?

Great effort, looks really good.. 6 hours is some dedication. Not sure the misses would let me play that long!

Did you have to get the hairdryer/heat gun out?

No, but it would've helped I think, especially for the one piece attempt. Currently my heatgun is MIA following house move and didnt think about hairdryer until too late.

Got rid of kids & wife for the weekend otherwise equally unlikely for me to get more than 1/2h at a time!

It looks good to me, what’s the technique for getting round the tailgate opening in one piece?
Great pics by the way:thumbsup:

No, but it would've helped I think, especially for the one piece attempt. Currently my heatgun is MIA following house move and didnt think about hairdryer until too late.

Got rid of kids & wife for the weekend otherwise equally unlikely for me to get more than 1/2h at a time!

I’ll have my heat gun ready!

Not sure what to do next. Windows or carpet. I know I need to carpet before I do the body windows as I want to tuck over the carpet but fancy doing the tailgate or sliding door.

Did you fit your windows?

I’ll have my heat gun ready!

Not sure what to do next. Windows or carpet. I know I need to carpet before I do the body windows as I want to tuck over the carpet but fancy doing the tailgate or sliding door.

Did you fit your windows?

No got the passenger back quarter done whilst it was in for the pop top.

Measure twice cut once....then don’t rely on the wife to line up the front end whilst you do the back....I managed to mould all the back in beautifully then went to front to find it 1/4# too short. I tried to stretch it but applied a bit too much heat. Now waiting for more carpet

Measure twice cut once....then don’t rely on the wife to line up the front end whilst you do the back....I managed to mould all the back in beautifully then went to front to find it 1/4# too short. I tried to stretch it but applied a bit too much heat. Now waiting for more carpet

Well I refitted my B pillar trim today to find that I'm about 1/4" too short too.... So hairdryer tomorrow for me too :S. I just picked the wrong metalwork line for my cut, really dumb.

Hats off to you sir thats a bold move doing it all in one piece and a great result, i got in a pickle just doing the individual panels, i cant imagine wrestling that much carpet/fabric in one go! did you cover all the carpet back with glue or just the areas you needed? Top effort :notworthy::thumbsup:

Hats off to you sir thats a bold move doing it all in one piece and a great result, i got in a pickle just doing the individual panels, i cant imagine wrestling that much carpet/fabric in one go! did you cover all the carpet back with glue or just the areas you needed? Top effort :notworthy::thumbsup:
Just sprayed bits as I needed. Not one piece unfortunately but 3. Still, not too bad.

Any tips for carpeting up to the sides of the factory kombi window?

Top/ bottom is fine as you can tuck behind the frame, sides it's straight onto glass really... Assume lots of people have done it so I must just be missing something.

Back