Tailgate Permanent Live

480bhp

204 DSG SWB T6
T6 Pro
Does anyone know if there's a permanent live i can tap in to within the tailgate?

I'm wanting to fit some led's into the hardboard panel at the bottom of the door, which when open will illuminate my work area (at the back of the van)

My options are either battery powered or if i can grab a perm 12v i can hard wire them through a switch.

if there is no permanent live .. wire them to the number plate lights
and to save power use LED's in everything
or wire up the LED'S to a socket and just use a cable from the socket to a 12v supply one in the back
like an extension cable .. unplug when not needed

I have put two extra LEDs in the back and took the feed from the existing roof lights. You could connect to one of these then feed a cable down the rubber tube that takes all the cables into the tail gate . I just took the feed from the switched feed so they come on with the standard lights.

Existing lights have permanent and switched feed behind them so you can have either manual control or automatic with the rest of the interior lights.
Its not that difficult to get a cable into the tailgate but can be a bit of a squeeze getting through the rubber tube but a bit of lube/fairy liquid helps it too slide through

Cheers guys, if it wasn't for the fact the interior lights go off after 20 mins or so i could've just utilised the oe ones, but i need something that i can leave for an hour at a time, as the draw from Led's are pretty low it shouldn't adversely affect the battery.

I'll hit the oe lights with the Multimeter and send a perm 12v in to the tailgate :thumbsup:

Think that will be the best way, i have fitted a switch behind rear wheel arch switching a feed into the tailgate and have two small round extra slim led fittings fitted near the bottom of tailgate, provides loads of light when its dark and we are in and out of the back of van.
If you need a kit with fittings/cables etc just let me know

Cheers @Pauly, i've just bought 5 new genuine OE interior lights of eBay (don't think i'll need all 5, but it was a job lot for £12 all new) plus i've also got the megabrite led panels to install in them, so once done it should look like a factory install.

If you could source the OE plugs that would be great, even better if they come with tails about 2-3m in length.

I'll have to look at mine tomorrow, and see which wires which and also if they'll work with just perm 12v and earth, can't imagine they wouldn't but having wired up many cars from scratch nothing surprises me anymore :eek:

If you have any insider knowledge of the OEM lights it would be much appreciated :thumbsup:

Plugs are normally a few quid each empty but i can make up some cables and crimp the inserts onto them for you
Will get an exact price tomorrow and if required dig out the connection info

Thanks @Pauly
I'll have a measure up of how long the tails need to be, I'll need at least 2 to start with.
If you could get a female version of the plug too that would be great, but that could be asking a bit much unless they're a standard type plug.

My thinking if a female plug is available, is to create a plug and play lead which would be female plug to male plug piggy backed to a 2nd male plug at the desired length to reach the tailgate (daisy chain) if the crimps to the 2nd male plug are left out of the plug, hopefully they should feed through the rubber grommet to gain entry in to the tailgate, the 2nd tailgate light could then be wired the same albeit at a much shorter length.

I've not looked at this area of the van yet so i may be barking up the wrong tree, and have to resort to just a flying lead on each plug.

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

I could wire two plugs together for the tailgate ie one plug has one set of cables and the other has two and leave the link long enough to reach either side of the tailgate and a long flylead to run up through tailgate and into van, if we connect all three cores you could have auto and manual switch ??

I could wire two plugs together for the tailgate ie one plug has one set of cables and the other has two and leave the link long enough to reach either side of the tailgate and a long flylead to run up through tailgate and into van, if we connect all three cores you could have auto and manual switch ??

Yeah that's my thinking Pauly, i've managed to locate the part number for the female plug which i believe is 585 972 713

To make it work i'll need 3 female plugs and 1 male plug, that way it can be reversed without needing to disturb the original wiring.

Hopefully you can picture my thinking here:
Existing plug at the most rearward interior light, to be removed from the light and plugged in to the male plug, a short lead would join this male plug to a female plug, this would then plug in to the existing light, out of which the 3 wires would continue through the roof lining and in to the tailgate, then the rest is as you describe above.

Think i may have given my crimp tool away, but you can pick up reasonable ones for £20, so i could make the connections at the one of the ends.

I'll look forward to hearing from you tomorrow :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Let me see what i can find out tomorrow, where did you het that part number ? the second digit should normally be a letter ?

I take it back the part number for the male is all numbers.

I have every crimp size and cable in stock i just need the connector/housing tbh I may have 1, either way will get more before end of week

I have every crimp size and cable in stock i just need the connector/housing tbh I may have 1, either way will get more before end of week

Thanks Pauly, as soon as you have what you need let me know. :thumbsup:

Just wondering which is the permission live in the rear left quarter of the van. One without a timer, ie interior lights would be useful.

Back