Permanent live for additional internal lights.

Arai

I'm trying to add some additional spot lights in the rear of my T6 which I can turn off and on at any time.
Having tried to tap into the wiring for the current lighting, I can't seem to find a permanant live.
Whichever wires I tap in to, the lights still turn off when the interior lights switch off.
Is there a permanent live I can take a feed from in the rear of do I need to go back to the fuse box?

More info here..

Tip- you need to go to your leisure battery.

Or starter battery feed for a 24/7 supply

Tip- you need to go to your leisure battery.

Or starter battery feed for a 24/7 supply
Thanks Dell, thought that might be the case.
Unfortunately, I haven't got a leisure battery, so guess I'm going to have to route from my starter battery.

I'm trying to add some additional spot lights in the rear of my T6 which I can turn off and on at any time.
Having tried to tap into the wiring for the current lighting, I can't seem to find a permanant live.
Whichever wires I tap in to, the lights still turn off when the interior lights switch off.
Is there a permanent live I can take a feed from in the rear of do I need to go back to the fuse box?
Sounds like you've used the wrong -ve cable. Can you post a pic of the connections you've made.

Technically there isn't a permanent live in the courtesy circuit, the BCM will turn it off after 20-60minutes depending upon the battery state and settings from the factory. Stops you running your starter flat. It's good enough to use for additional cargo lighting though.

Sounds like you've used the wrong -ve cable. Can you post a pic of the connections you've made.

Technically there isn't a permanent live in the courtesy circuit, the BCM will turn it off after 20-60minutes depending upon the battery state and settings from the factory. Stops you running your starter flat. It's good enough to use for additional cargo lighting though.
Unfortunately, I gan't get a decent pic of the connection, but these are the wires I have into the interior light.
I connected to the red /black in the middle and took an earth from the body.
As soon as the van is locked or started, the lights go out, but it is possible to switch the exisitng interior lights on with the van locked or running.

IMG_20230314_115519.jpg

That's the correct wire for +12v but it's the same one that feeds the cab light and OEM cargo lights. If the cab light can be turned on with the engine running then the red/black wire should still be live.

Have you had any other work done, where have you fitted the lights? Is it possible you could have damaged the loom somewhere?

I haven't had any other work done and I have only tapped into the loom near the light, so there is no damage to the loom.
The new lights were wired through a dimmer switch, so maybe that might be an issue.
Will check again later to see if the red/black is still live with the engine running and the doors shut.
I have been working in the back of my Kombi and it has a bulkhead, but no internal system of opening the tailgate, so I made sure I dind't lock myslef in.
Although, there is an internal bung which can be taken out so I could open the tailgate if I really needed to.

The loom passes through these plugs under the glove box. If it's not live at the back then check it here.

Coupling Center.jpg

Back