Tail Lights: get both Fog and Reversing bulbs illuminating

KBF

I got the standard non-LED rear light with a joke of a reverse light. And I have invested in some small LED lights thats going to be mounted under the bumper somewhere.

So, does anyone know what color the wire is for the reverse light in the plug? Dont want to splitt the rear light unless I realy have too.

I have had some near misses when reversing and not seen the obstacles behind me, just luck sofar! So light is needed. Its really strange that VW dont have more reverse light on their cars. I know the LED rear lights are better, but its not a option to change them at this point

On a similar subject how easy is it to get the other reverse light working is it a case of adding extra wire or is the wiring already there

Additional cable has to be added, if you have existing non LED lights then there are only 5 wires in the plug, if switching to LED rears a sixth cable is required to activate the additional fog/reverse light

Additional cable has to be added, if you have existing non LED lights then there are only 5 wires in the plug, if switching to LED rears a sixth cable is required to activate the additional fog/reverse light
Thanks for that but would that be from the fuse-box or as i am assuming just across the rear from light to light

Aha, Im thinking of just parallel connect the small led bar on to the existing wiring, But it seems like its the best to open the rear light and make some propper connections there.

I wouldnt open it, they are factory sealed, be easy to connect on to the wire inside the van somewhere

Just looked in the manual, so if you have to change bulbs ( I dont have them fancy led lights) you have to open them.

Sorry we had cross wires, when you said open them i thought you meant separate the actual halves of the fitting.
There is a plastic cover on the rear that unclips to get access to the lamps for changing.
The wires that connect into the rear although hidden behind the light unit they are actually open to the elements so joining anything there would not be the best place thats why i suggested connecting internally, the wires from the light run up the rear pillar and into the roof void where they can be accessed pretty easily

No disrespect to what you are trying to do - sounds like a good idea to me, but i've always thought of the reversing light as a warning to others that you are reversing, not as a means of illuminating the area behind you. Hence why they are not very bright.

The brightness is not important. Its the amount of light(Lumens) im after. My previous VW T5 had very good reverse light compared to the T6

The brightness is not important. Its the amount of light(Lumens) im after. My previous VW T5 had very good reverse light compared to the T6
Have you tried the led replacement lights some of us have?
I can see perfectly to reverse with them and much easier to achieve?

Have you got rear camera's ? If you have and the vision at night is poor, simply replace the number plate bulbs with LED ones.

Great idea with the LED bulb. I dont have the rear camera. Its LED in the numberplate lights. Perhapes I get the time to do the work on it this weekend

I have just ordered two of these to hang under the rear bumper . Should do the job. I was thinking of hanging one at high level pointing out the rear window down on to the ground. I will see what they are like when the arrive so just need to get a power feed of the revering light.
image.png

I've got two of those myself. Thinking of a "invisible" mount under the bumper. Hopefully its somewhere to fasten them without drilling into the chassis.. Dont want the van to rust either

Back