T7 Multivan

Apparently the premiere is tomorrow at 6pm German time (so 5pm BST).

"The world premiere of the Volkswagen T7 Multivan will take place on June 10, 2021 at 6 p.m. as an online event. Advance sales will start at the end of September / beginning of October 2021. The market launch will take place in November."

Apparently the premiere is tomorrow at 6pm German time (so 5pm BST).

"The world premiere of the Volkswagen T7 Multivan will take place on June 10, 2021 at 6 p.m. as an online event. Advance sales will start at the end of September / beginning of October 2021. The market launch will take place in November."

Oh cool, that’ll be interesting.

It’s very unclear to me what this is though. Is this T7 Multivan a complete replacement for the current T6.1, just a replacement for the passenger variants or another vehicle entirely that will be sold alongside?

Just a replacement for the passenger variants, I think.
The commercial range will still be T6/6.1 until the collaboration with Ford.

Looks like a sensible evolution and looks smart enough.

The new interior in the rear looks a bit more practical. As a T6 Caravelle owner I'd love to have individual seats rather than the rear bench - I only need 4 seats 95% of the time so having a slot between the rear two seats would be great for bikes and other long kit. Currently I drive around with the bench in permanently as it is too heavy to move, and I just put in the single seats on the rare occasions I need them. Interesting that the seats are a lot lighter too - it would be great to shed a bit of weight for efficiency and handling improvements.

The gear selector on the dashboard looks tiny. How long until someone pops it in reverse whilst trying to turn up the radio?!

I'm sure it would be great for those in the market for a new Caravelle today but I'm still planning on holding onto my 2016 T6 until I can go fully electric though. Hybrid seems like a complicated compromise and the future for these things is electric so I'll see what the ID Buzz looks like in a few years. I'll happily buy an interesting petrol car for the engine, but I'm actually looking forward to replacing the rattly diesel (and the squeaky auxiliary belt!) with an electric van.

Is the California moving to this platform too soon, or staying on the T6 platform until it gets killed?

The Transit tie up has been well publicised for a few years I think.

Think Cali stays on T6 platform

there are some nice improvements but I’m underwhelmed by the engine options. Also looks like tow limit is down on the current t6 by 20%. Also not sure about it being lower and narrower

tough choice - keep my existing caravelle, order a 6.1 before they finish, wait for the multivan or even the buzz

really like the idea of keyless entry, HUD, 360 camera, wireless charging, matrix led headlights and better cup holders though. Also the back seats and table look good - more flexible than we have now

need more info - prob be ok if we get the 2 litre TSI but was hoping for 200+bhp diesel

The T7’s elongated car based nose is subtracted from the interior space, so even the LWB version doesn't have the same interior and luggage space as a SWB T6 (see video below), while being longer overall. Not an advance in packaging, but a savings for VW since it is essentially the same chassis as the Caddy, with a false double A pillar tacked on to disguise the long nose, front row moved rearward and loss of cargo space. It’s really the same layout as a 3 row SUV, without the space efficiency of a van.

Remember a while back when this long nosed T6 mule was making the rounds?

Google Image Result for https://parkers-images.bauersecure.com/gallery-image/pagefiles/302885/1752x1168/084-vw-t7-mule.jpg

It had the overall length of a LWB T6, but none of the increased length went to the interior load area.

To get the T7 down to size, a chunk of the rear load area has been chopped off to compensate for the increased length of the nose. This is most obvious when looking at the length of the rear side windows. In VW’s presentation of the T7, the interior was shown with the 3rd row seats pushed back, and care was taken to not show the reduced cargo space at the back. As I mentioned in another post, this is the largest reduction of interior space compared to overall length since the front seats of the T3 were moved from over the front axle to behind it in the T4, improving safety and gaining luggage space where the rear motor had been. Here it seems to have been done for cost reasons related to platform sharing, with a reduction in functionality.

I expect they'll changes their minds, but at the moment as the T6.1 is being kept for commercial / California, this is basically the Sharan replacement? In which case this is miles ahead of that. As an evolution of the T6.1 I don't think it makes sense, besides the obvious tech upgrades and flexible seating, which they could have done whilst keeping the size and space the same as the T6.1.

Looks decent enough, nice evolution of the people transporter, that face though, it looks like it's just about to say something. :rolleyes:

Yes watched this last week actually looks pretty nice imo. Strange how the commercial van will be on a different platform?

Makes me wonder as the id bus will be built on this platform.. but the commercial van is a partnership with ford..

Will it look more like the transit

and the California will remain on the T6.1 platform for the foreseeable..

It is a lot smaller inside unfortunately whilst the outer dimensions grew. Also less Caravan pull weight. Not a T7 but rather a minivan.

It is a lot smaller inside unfortunately whilst the outer dimensions grew. Also less Caravan pull weight. Not a T7 but rather a minivan.
Agree - I really wanted it to be the T7 but not multivan enough for me - am now in the process of ordering what will be one of the last T6.1 Caravelles…..which really is a multivan - still annoyed I can’t get a LWB in the spec I want.

Back