T6 Startline to Highline Upgrade Path

t6blo

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
So, I am still on the fence about buying another Transporter.
Quick back story for context: bought T6 DSG Highline 12/18, sold 03/21 for 5k more than I paid for it. Regretted ‘cashing in‘ on market madness ever since.

I have been looking into the ‘commercial look’ and obviously a Startline would fit the bill and is more reasonably priced (easier to stomach) in today’s market madness, BUT which Highline standard bits could I retro fit to a Startline?

AC is available on some Startlines so I would go for a Startline with AC.
Heated Windscreen - not bothered
Cruise Control - can this be easily retrofitted?
Reversing Sensors - would fit a rear camera so not bothered
Auto Lights - can be retrofitted with a China switch
Auto wipers - can this be easily retrofitted?
Electric Mirrors - do startlines have these?
Multifunction Wheel - assume that the 2018/2019 Highlines have cruise on multifunction wheel

Anything else I have missed here - or better to go for a Highline when the market calms down?

Trendline to Highline might be better ? Coloured bumpers etc......that's what I did.
Mine had A/C, reverse sensors and tailgate my must haves. Since then I added front fogs and mfsw plus all the camper stuff.

IMHO, it doesn't matter what upgrades you fit, it will always be a Startline as and when you come to sell it (albeit a Startline with some mods). Was I you, I would weigh up the price differences very carefully (and then by another Highline).

Last edited:
Hi @t6blo what is a china switch as I have a T6.1 Startline and would like to upgrade to auto lights.
Travelinlite do a kit for £50 odd quid but they say it’s not suitable for T6.1.
Cheers,
John.

Afraid to say I just can’t stomach the inflated prices for used vans so for now I’m simply going to have to pass on the dream of another transporter :(

IMO make use and enjoy what you have now and save the ‘upgrade’ money towards the next van.
It isn’t what you‘ve got it’s what you do with it.

I have a Startline with A/C and parking sensors. I like the simplicity - less electronics to go wrong. It does have heated adjustable mirrors. I do miss having a temperature guage.

I have a Startline with A/C and parking sensors. I like the simplicity - less electronics to go wrong. It does have heated adjustable mirrors. I do miss having a temperature guage.
Same here, there’s nothing I miss at all other than sat nav but judging by my golf r I’m not missing much I’ll stick to my Tom Tom :thumbsup:

I have a start line and it came with aircon, cruise, parking sensors, factory alarm and power fold mirrors. Pretty sure it was all fitted from VW when it was ordered by Lex Leasing. I`m the 2nd owner. We had a trend line in the other day and my start line had a better spec.

Back