T6 Starter not turning. [Resolved]

Blue_Joe

VIP Member
So I'm in the middle of a camper conversion of my 2016 T6 LWB T30.

Been retro fitting OEM parking sensors from carsystems.eu and also fitted a westfalia removable towbar with dedicated wiring without towbar prep. Plus put in reverse camera, RCD360 Pro headunit and a heater under the seat and had the fuel tank off to tap into the sender for the fuel draw for the heater.

Since doing these bits I went to start the van and all lights up and ignition etc is fine, but it wont start!!! As in the starter motor isnt spinning and there isnt teh usual clicking when you turn the ignition - just nothing.... No errors on the dash everything seems fine - but just wont turnover. Battery all fine and charged. I replaced teh starter motor today as thought may well be that. Got mine completely rebuilt. But still nothing.... I'm at wits end....

However, if I bump start it - it starts perfectly and runs perfectly - again no warnings on the dash etc. Once I switch it off - still nothing - wont turnover....

Any thoughts on what it could be??

Have you had the battery load tested? Just because it’s reading a fully charged voltage doesn't mean it can handle a large load.

@DXX I have actually tried a different battery on it and still nothing (albeit the spare battery I had was a large brand new leisure battery so not sure is the same)

Check fuses in the lower dash. One of them prevents cranking but can’t remember which

Check fuses and starter relays.

Check fuses in the lower dash. One of them prevents cranking but can’t remember which

@litrofit - I did mess with a couple of those when fitting the camera - may be it - but not sure which does that. Do you know what it is called?

check for any empty fuse slots that have a metal insert on both sides of the fuse way, any empty slots with metal contacts on both sides = a missing fuse

Check starter relay is clicking when you try to start.

If it isnt, swop with another and test.

If it does, check starter signal wire from relay to starter.

If still no joy, check clutch switch on vcds.

You could check ignition positions are being seen on vcds too

Thanks @Dayoster

I cant hear from inside the van the starter relay clicking so perhaps will replace that out. Do you know what relay I need to get to replace that without me having to pull it out and check first???

Also - looking will check fuse SC56 which i understand is the starter BCU and go from there!

All the fuse and relay layouts are in the download section for you to print out.

As are the wire diagrams.

Join up as VIP and you get access to the contents.

Which engine do you have? (Post a photo of the build label under the steering column trim.)
@Loz thisbis only sticker I can find under there…. If not that (doesn’t look like it is..) it’s a 2016 T30 manual 6 speed LWB

Back