T6 rattle from tailgate.

psulli16

VIP Member
T6 rattle from tailgate.
New 6.1. Really loud banging rattle from tailgate. 8 weeks before the dealership can have a look. Any ideas ?

Could be the tailgate latching mechanism.

I had a similar issue on my T6 and put tape a run of electrical tape around the pin that the tailgate latches on to and it done the trick.

Could also be the bump stops on either side need adjusting?

T6 rattle from tailgate.
New 6.1. Really loud banging rattle from tailgate. 8 weeks before the dealership can have a look. Any ideas ?
I had the same problem when I picked up my van, adjusted the bump stops so snug but still able to close- problem solved very easily! Hope it's this:)

Thanks for the ideas and tips. Seems it’s the guides which are causing the issue. Frustrating as it’s only done 1000 miles and it’s 6 weeks before the dealer can have it in.

A very annoying and common issue on tailgates! First adjust the bump stops either side on the tailgate try extending them approx 2-3 mm you will need a small hex key in the centre to loosen them off. Secondly move the receiver slightly forward only a fraction normally fixes it. You will need to remove the threshold cover and use a splined drive to loosen the bolts. I had several attempts before I got my tailgate quiet! Also note that if you have power closing too much adjustment will prevent the lock mechanism from fully pulling the tailgate home. Good luck.
( BTW the time a dealer adjusted mine they made it worse )

Check that the childlock switch hasn't popped out. Mine did and rattled like anything. At first glance it appeared to be clipped in but the wires held it in just the right spot to look OK visually.
1000006190.jpg

Back