T6 or T5.1

Weeman

T6 Pro
I am just about in a position to buy a van. My plan will be to convert it to a campervan as money allows. I have looked on the VW commercial site and seen some nice T5.1 vans and also some T6’s. So my question would be, is there be any drawback to buying a T6? Are all the conversion parts the same ie. windows, electrics etc. Is it just as easy to convert a T6 as it would be a T5.1?

I think it's pretty much the same dimensions for conversion with a bit of difference around the tailgate. Stop start means you need a certain charge type for leisure battery (separate thread on here somewhere).

I was in same position and went for a T6 as good spec low mileage T5s were top dollar anyway, and why spend all the money on the conversion and not get the best van you can afford in the first place.

If you've got the money for it I'd say T6.... but then this is the T6Forum!!!!!

@Weeman I agree with @Walski, why buy yesterday's model when you can get the T6 if the price is right for you ? You may still be able to pick up a pre-registered T6 with a Euro5 engine and very low mileage at a heavily discounted price, but they are getting harder to find and the only difference as far as I am aware is the need to use Adblue in the Euro6 model. Electrical systems, specifications etc are exactly the same. Good luck and keep us posted. You'll find lots of helpful and knowledgeable people on the Forum, so enjoy.

There is a drawback it's not a T6 if you get a T5.1 seriously if you can afford the T6 get it much nicer drive

Having had a couple of both - I'd go T6 every time.

The T6 is far more refined, quieter & drives much better.

I loved my last T5 Kombi & only lost £3k in 5 years of ownership but would not go back.

Dimensions are pretty much exactly the same & all of the T5 stuff for conversion fits a T6 (Units, Beds, Glass, Lining Kits etc)

I actually prefer the look of the T5.1 (shock horror) if I'm totally honest, but I still bought a T6 as it should hold value better and is apparently a better drive.

+1
The 5.1 with a sportline front and DRLs looks great, especially with a badgeless grille.
T6 is growing on me...

I still have my old t5.1 on my drive waiting for the insurance to take it. I do take it out still and my God the t6 is so much more refined, quieter and car like. Even the t6 lower wing mirror position makes difference. My t5.1 looks like a sportline and still prefer the t6. Abt t6 of course.

However that euro 5 fuel economy though....epic in comparison to the euro 6. Still t6 any day.

Sat in a t5, 5.1, 6 Liked the dash on the 6 better, more relaxed atmosphere, but it's down to personal preference.. Just don't get ........ H4 lights! Minimum to aim for should be H7's

Owned a T5.1 Cali for three years; cack engine, poor paint, loads of issues.
The T6 Cali that replaced it is way more refined, quicker and much better on fuel. And the roof actually keeps the rain out.

I utterly hated our T5.1 Euro 5 180 engine; noisy, unreliable, tuck.
A big reason for going for a T6 was the totally different, much more proven Euro 6 engine. It's in a different class.

I'd still say no. The Euro 6 engine is so refined. Even dispute it's poor fuel economy and adblue I would take a Euro 6 over a Euro 5 anyday.
Is the Euro 5 T6 engine same as Euro 5 T5 or were refinements made to it for the short period it was used in the T6?

If it is more refined, I'd say having Euro 5 over Euro 6 is no bad thing tbh.

I think it's the same engine.
Mine is a 140 6 speed and I think that the early T6 models used the same Euro5 engines as in the T5.

I have the pre reg T6 Euro5 102bhp and can tell you the engine layout looks different to my previous T 5.1 Euro 5 albeit probably the same parts but updated as my T6 is like night and day smoother than the 5.1:thumbsup: .I heard they'd insulated them better but the gearing and pulling away at the lights is so much more refined,the 5.1 was a little shall we say agricultural.:)

Back