T6 Front End Oil Seal Failure After 50k

tat007

title says it all really - except to say that VW Northants reckon it will set me back a cool £1000. Anyone had similar?

you out of warranty by far? . . . . goodwill?

Thanks for the quick response Dellmassive - warranty ended November but I suppose there's nothing to lose from asking the question. It was reported to them over a month ago but had to wait 4 weeks to get it booked in

It was due an oil change and inspection/service anyway so I asked them to look at/fix the minor oil leak while it was in. They did the service and called to say it was ready, then gave me the bad news. I'm hoping the £1000 estimate includes service and oil change.

It’s one thing to replace the seal but they also need to figure out why it failed otherwise it could recur. If the shaft is scored / worn there are sleeve repair methods but I’m not sure if VW do that.

They are going to give me an update tomorrow so I'll keep you posted. Many thanks for all your responses. This is my first post on my very first forum and I'm wondering why I left it so long!

They are going to give me an update tomorrow so I'll keep you posted. Many thanks for all your responses. This is my first post on my very first forum and I'm wondering why I left it so long!

What was the outcome?

The bill came to £1182.01 - About a hundred odd for minor service ( oil, filter etc.) and £873.82 for fixing the seal. Items on the bill as follows:
Flange 69.23
Bolt x6 9.36
Sealant 24.43
Labour 765.04

and a few bits and bobs (nuts n bolts) totalled £873.82

Major disappointment for a 51k vehicle. Still, I get a whopping 12 months guarantee on the new seal!

Back