T6 Engine Poll - Fast Forward To The Future!

Engine choice for your new T6 in 2020

• Diesel

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Petrol

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Hybrid

Votes: 16 47.1%

• Total voters

T6Paul

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
OK, Lets pretend that it's now the year 2020 and you're looking to upgrade your current T6! VW have got their act together and now offer a choice of 3 engine types, a Diesel (TDi), a Petrol (TSi) and an all new Petrol / Electric (Hybrid).

Which would you choose for your new van?...

Last edited:
I'd want the most powerful petrol engine with a hybrid. IE a 204ps with hybrid. Not a piddly 102 or 150 with hybrid. If not then the most powerful petrol.

Never touching diesel again after the Euro 6 fuel economy and adblue reliability.

I'd want the most powerful petrol engine with a hybrid. IE a 204ps with hybrid. Not a piddly 102 or 150 with hybrid. If not then the most powerful petrol.

Agreed! - Poll on the basis that all power outputs are available in each fuel type

Are you really looking to change your van in 18 months time, mine has got to last much longer.

I’ll be driving my Euro 5 140, whilst listening to people having problems with the latest idea to prevent pollution from petrol engines, there is no way petrol engines will escape the environmental laws.

When the euro 5 finally goes I’ll be getting a Fred Flintsone leg powered van, whilst wearing a gimp mask that removes any CO2 I’m producing.

mine has got to last much longer.
Me too. Campers are different, usually keepers, I'm planning 10 years minimum, hopefully more :)
The problem as I see it is that the tech breakthrough we need hasnt happened yet, present-day battery
technology doesnt have the capacity and the manufacturing process is far from 'green'.
Try as the politicians might, they cant force science to advance, so I'd say Keep Calm & Carry On,
one day, maybe soon, there will be a Eureka discovery, but its not here yet ;)
/2p
Phil

I'm a huge Diesel fan, despite the negative publicity, and my Euro6 204 has been faultless for all of it's 20,000 miles to date, albeit a little thirsty on juice.
I doubt in my working lifetime anyone will produce a viable electric solution for the miles I cover every day, but if they ever did, i'd seriously consider it.

Petrol is not for me unless I re-live my youth and buy a MK1 Golf GTI, or buy a much bigger garden and get a petrol mower.

I’d like a diesel hybrid if poss, had a Merc E class a few years back and it was pretty much the ideal combination. Can’t see petrol having a future other than small cars to be honest.

Hybrids are nice but purely transitional technology, going fully electric with current battery tech just isn't there yet, in terms of storage capacity its' still 10 yrs away. I went out for lunch with the press lead from Koenigsegg a few months ago and we were mulling over the future of electric. Based on my back street knowledge and his industry insight we both predicted that the next huge aftermarket 'market' will be the growth of the likes of EV West, Electric Classic Cars and others pulling ice engines out, bolting up a motor to the gearbox and fitting next gen batteries. An electric classic Beetle was going to be my option over the T6 petrol I ordered to convert, in the end I decided that I'll probably be swapping out the T6 engine for a motor anyway and replacing the spare wheel with a 150kw battery in ten years so I'll enjoy a 300hp Pendle map until then :)

Check out Rich Rebuilds and Jehu Garcia for some fascinating ev building.

Back