Diesel or Petrol Caravelle?

Yogi

Just joined the forum, so "Hi" from a cold and wet Cornwall:)

Currently researching for a future purchase of a Caravelle and had never really considered anything other than a diesel. Given that there is a petrol option and what now appears to be an increasing political agenda moving away from diesel, I'd be interested to know what people's thoughts are on which engine they would go for.

I'll be keeping the Caravelle for at least 10 years and it'll be used for day-to-day, weekending and travelling across Europe once or twice a year. I recon an annual mileage of around 15k so not excessive.

I guess it's all down to personal choice but what I'd be keen to know is 'if you were buying a new T6 would you go Diesel or Petrol'

Thanks and I'm hoping to be an active forum member once I get the van sorted

All the best,

Yogi

Interesting if they are going to start bringing petrol variants to these here shores. This far have only seen them on the continent.
I wonder if manufacturers are starting to wake up to the political backlash against diesels, so we can have a choice to have a petrol T6.
I would definitely go for a petrol.

At 15k per year I reckon your on the fence, any more and your firmly in diesel teratory & any less in the petrol camp.
The only real question mark is on the longevity of the add blue system if your planning to keep for 10 years.

The petrol variant shows at The VW Caravelle Van | VWCV. If appears the payload is 25kg greater for the 150PS petrol over the 150PS diesel, and the 204PS petrol only 13kg less (and 75kg lighter than the 204PS diesel). If the petrol makes it's way over to the Kombi, this could greatly help those concerned about payloads, speed limits etc.

Go for petrol. I got a diesel but wanted a petrol, but didn't know they were available. Only when i got the van and read the owner's handbook did I see that they were available. I am annoyed that the dealer's literature didn't make it know to me; the brochure just said diesels.

There is this witch hunt on diesels coming, so that is one reason. And there is the fact that the way you use it may be to do many short runs. Petrol is better for this, I believe, and diesel isn't keen at all on short cold runs. Plus petrol is quieter. All they need is the spark plugs changed once a year, in mu opinion.

Get petrol, mate.

Oh, and there is also the particulate filter to consider with a diesel. I have heard tales that these things clog over time and they have to be changed, and it is very expensive, so I am informed.

Have been reading up a bit on the hybrid technology (plug in electric alongside a conventional petrol or diesel combustion engine). VW say that they have the technology all ready to go into the T6 range although won't commit to large scale implementation until consumer demand requires.

Headline figures of 170+ mpg perhaps ought to be taken with a pinch of salt but having read up on the technology a little, it's all quite interesting.

The idea is that pulling away from a standing start, low speed acceleration, stop/start is all electric. When the vehicle gets up to normal road speeds i.e, when the vehicle is at its most economical, then the conventional fuel takes over.

Regenerative braking, on-going recharging of the batterires whilst vehicle is mobile and even the option to complete short journeys (30 miles) electric only are now all possible.

Intresting but at what price? Still seems a high premium for hybrid vehicles although I doubt it'll be long though before there is a viable, cost effective alternative to 40mpg deisels.

Last edited:
It is utterly daft that we have to watch how we drive our expensive vans.
Short journeys are a no no; how stupid is that on a commercial vehicle?
How come black cabs don't all blow up?

VW had the technology for diesel hybrids years ago, but binned the plans due to the US's attitude to diesel. Given VW's current state , and Mr Trump, and move away from diesel, I can't see this technology making a comeback.

A big shame though, in cars or vans; where a smaller torquey diesel, supplemented by electric would surely seem the perfect match.

Totally agree Scruffy. Can't believe that with all the advancements in technology that have gone on over the last 20 years that vans are still only pushing 40mpg.

Too much money to be made by those with the real power and influence to bring about change (or not).

I totally understand the dangers involved with the particulate emissions from dirty old diesels, but petrol engines pump out more CO2 than diesels, use more fuel that a diesel, and stop me if I'm wrong but isn't CO2 a major factor in climate change? Why is no one talking about CO2 emissions, in the conversation about moving away from diesel?

Makes you think.

I totally understand the dangers involved with the particulate emissions from dirty old diesels, but petrol engines pump out more CO2 than diesels, use more fuel that a diesel, and stop me if I'm wrong but isn't CO2 a major factor in climate change? Why is no one talking about CO2 emissions, in the conversation about moving away from diesel?

Makes you think.
Not really.
CO2 emissions are now very close and petrol hybrids wipe the floor with any diesel.
Add the vast amount of proper nasties like NOx, questionable reliability and mpg figures that are actually very close and diesel is looking decidedly last decade.

More to do with money/tax incomes and driving public perception to demonise diesel so that the impending tax hikes we will surely see announced in the next few years become more acceptable!!

I'm umming and ahhing whether to order a EU6 150 now or wait a bit to see if petrol models are released. Have always driven petrol cars and only do 8-9k a year, would much rather a 2.0 TSI but whether it would be available on a panel van is another question.

Back