T6 2017 Petrol Manual Reliability Long Term

studioviz

I'm looking to buy a 2017 T6 Caravelle to use for commuting about 250miles per week. I'm going to clock up the milage pretty quick and want the most reelable engine long term. I know I'll get about 10mpg more from a diesel but am thinking that a petrol engine may give better long term reliability and so save money in the long run? Am I mad?

Also I'm thinking that manual is going to be cheaper in terms of maintenance long term than DSG?

Looking to buy a 2017 T6 2.0 SE TSI BMT 5d 148 BHP.

So, will a manual / petrol be cheaper to maintain long term (over 10-15 years) ?

Any thoughts appreciated... thanks

I had a loaner TSI for 10 Days. No vibrations at idle, very quiet from outside as well. Other than that it was 18/20 mpg around town, 25mpg motorway. My btdi is now 28 mpg around town and 42 motorway.
Other thing to notice, you need to push it over 3000 rpm to get it moving. Different drive stile, and it doesn’t suit well the nature of the Transporter IMHO. And with the diesel after 3rd gear you’ll not hear the engine at all unless you rev it over 3000 rpm.
Considering your 12.000 per year the TSI is going to cost you 100 quid more per month in petrol. Not bad considering how complicated and prone to failure are the tdi under the transporter. Manual box will be more reliable on the long run. As per any manual vs automatic. If you don’t like the clattering of the diesel go for the petrol.

Back